[comp.sys.amiga] Help with PBMPLUS

WHE46@ccvax.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) (10/10/90)

   I have some questions regarding PBMPlus for the Amiga.  My questions
involve converting PBM and PGM files to ILBM formats.  A file is included
to convert color PPM files to ILBM, but no files are included to
convert PBM or PGM files to ILBM.

   What is really needed is more utilities to convert between the three
formats.  Some are included, but the set is incomplete.  PPM files
can be converted to PGM, and PGM files can be converted to PBM, but
no files are included to go the opposite way, from PBM to PBM, and from
PGM to PPM.  This is a serious fault, because it limits that use of
the package.

   I have a bunch of Sun icons that I would like to convert to ILBM
files, and from there to Amiga icons.  There is a Sun ICON to PBM
converter included, but I can't figure out how to get the monochrome
PBM files to ILBM.

                                -MB-

rusty@steelmill.cs.umd.edu (Rusty Haddock) (10/10/90)

In article <32937@nigel.ee.udel.edu> Marc Barrett writes:

   >   I have some questions regarding PBMPlus for the Amiga.  My questions
   >involve converting PBM and PGM files to ILBM formats.  A file is included
   >to convert color PPM files to ILBM, but no files are included to
   >convert PBM or PGM files to ILBM.

I believe, but I may be wrong, that if you read the
documentation that you'll find that all ppm' programs can read
"lesser" type files such as pbm and pgm.  pnm programs can read
any (any -> pNm :-) PBM format (pbm,pgm, & ppm) but they're
strictly manipulative little suckers in that they just change
the image information but do not convert to different formats.

   >This is a serious fault, because it limits that use of the package.

Maybe you oughta read ALL the doc's first.  The best set would
be for the Unix version of the utilities.

   >   I have a bunch of Sun icons that I would like to convert to ILBM
   >files, and from there to Amiga icons.  There is a Sun ICON to PBM
   >converter included, but I can't figure out how to get the monochrome
   >PBM files to ILBM.

ppmtoilbm sun.icon >sun.ilbm

	-Rusty-
--
Rusty Haddock				DOMAIN:	rusty@mimsy.cs.umd.edu
Computer Science Department		PATH:	{uunet,rutgers}!mimsy!rusty

lar@pc.usl.edu (Robert, Lane A.) (10/10/90)

In article <26916@mimsy.umd.edu> rusty@steelmill.cs.umd.edu
(Rusty Haddock) writes:
   In article <32937@nigel.ee.udel.edu> Marc Barrett writes:

      >   I have some questions regarding PBMPlus for the Amiga.  My questions
      >involve converting PBM and PGM files to ILBM formats.  A file is included
      >to convert color PPM files to ILBM, but no files are included to
      >convert PBM or PGM files to ILBM.

   I believe, but I may be wrong, that if you read the
   documentation that you'll find that all ppm' programs can read
   "lesser" type files such as pbm and pgm.  pnm programs can read
   any (any -> pNm :-) PBM format (pbm,pgm, & ppm) but they're
   strictly manipulative little suckers in that they just change
   the image information but do not convert to different formats.

Absolutely Correct!

			[...deleted...]

      >   I have a bunch of Sun icons that I would like to convert to ILBM
      >files, and from there to Amiga icons.  There is a Sun ICON to PBM
      >converter included, but I can't figure out how to get the monochrome
      >PBM files to ILBM.

   ppmtoilbm sun.icon >sun.ilbm

Not quite; Try this:

run icontopbm >pipe:p1 sun.icon
ppmtoilbm >sun.ilbm pipe:p1

Lane
lar@usl.edu

eric@eklektik.UUCP (/dev/ph1) (10/15/90)

In article <32937@nigel.ee.udel.edu> WHE46@ccvax.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) writes:

>   I have some questions regarding PBMPlus for the Amiga.  My questions
>involve converting PBM and PGM files to ILBM formats.  A file is included
>to convert color PPM files to ILBM, but no files are included to
>convert PBM or PGM files to ILBM.

The ppmtoilbm tool does what you want.  It converts ppm, pgm, or pbm files to
ilbm, correctly choosing the number of bitplanes, etc.  This goes for
all ppm tools--they work on ppm, pgm, and pbm files.

RTFM.

--
Eric Kennedy                    eric@eklektik.pgh.pa.us
BIX: ekennedy                   ...pitt!idis!eklektik!eric

WHE46@ccvax.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) writes:

|   I have some questions regarding PBMPlus for the Amiga.  My questions

|   I have a bunch of Sun icons that I would like to convert to ILBM
|files, and from there to Amiga icons.  There is a Sun ICON to PBM
|converter included, but I can't figure out how to get the monochrome
|PBM files to ILBM.

Try the FBM package, it reads PBM files, Sun files, and Amiga ILBM files
and converts between all three (and more). It was on one of the recent
FISH disks (within the last 100 anyway)

--
John Sparks         |D.I.S.K. Public Access Unix System| Multi-User Games, Email
sparks@corpane.UUCP |PH: (502) 968-DISK 24Hrs/2400BPS  | Usenet, Chatting,