[comp.sys.amiga] Family Tree Software

nadcward@tecnet1.jcte.jcs.mil (10/10/90)

Does anyone know if there is an existing software package designed to
store family tree information in some form of tree structure ?

If not, is there a "draw" type program which would be easy to use for
this application. I've found AEGIS DRAW to be almost entirely exactly
what I'm not looking for.

                                      James Ward (NADCWARD)

bjc@smunews.UUCP (Betty J. Clay) (10/16/90)

In article <32914@nigel.ee.udel.edu> nadcward@tecnet1.jcte.jcs.mil writes:
>Does anyone know if there is an existing software package designed to
>store family tree information in some form of tree structure ?
>

>                                      James Ward (NADCWARD)

There is very little genealogical software for the Amiga.  Probably the
best currently available is YOUR FAMILY TREE (a commercial package), which
can store your data and print some charts, but it is sadly lacking in
ability when compared to the software available on other machines.

There is, to my knowledge, only one freely distributable package.  I found
it in the ROOTS forum of CompuServe in the library for "other computers."
The program is called GENEALOGY ON DISPLAY, and is ported from the
IBM.  I believe that this program was originally written in QuickBASIC,
and had been ported for the AMiga and compiled.  It works, and it will
print simple charts, but it will not let you study and manipulate your
data the way I insist on doing mine.  It was the need for a good genealogy
program that drove me to using a bridgeboard.

Actually, I think it would be possible to use SuperBASE Pro to make an
excellent genealogy application, but it would take a great deal of time to
make all the needed forms, etc., and to do the programming to preserve
all of the necessary family links.

Betty
Betty Clay
76702.337@compuserve.com