[comp.sys.amiga] NewTek questions

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) (09/25/90)

On Demo-Reel 3, there's reference to a product called "F/X".  What is
this, if it exists?

Has any registered owner ever gotten any sign that NewTek knows
they exist?  I've purchased quite a bit of NewTek stuff in the past
6 months, and I haven't even gotten a flyer telling me about the
Video Toaster (or that it'll be out last month :-).
--
J. Eric Townsend -- University of Houston Dept. of Mathematics (713) 749-2120
Internet: jet@uh.edu

dales@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM (Dale Snell) (09/26/90)

[woof!]

In article <1990Sep24.215257.1019@lavaca.uh.edu> jet@karazm.math.uh.edu
(J. Eric Townsend) writes:

|On Demo-Reel 3, there's reference to a product called "F/X".  What is
|this, if it exists?

     They mention "DigiF/X" in Demo-Reel 1, also.  Hey, didn't that come
out before the Toaster was first announced?  That would make DigiF/X an
even more vaporous apparition than the Toaster!  At least some people
can claim to have actually *seen* a Video Toaster.

|Has any registered owner ever gotten any sign that NewTek knows
|they exist?

     I bought DigiPaint 3 when it first came out, and I haven't heard
word one from them.  Anybody know if there's been an upgrade?

                                    --dds

Big Whorls Have Little Whorls         | Dale D. Snell       BIX:  ddsnell
Which Feed On Their Velocity          | Usenet:  dales@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM
And Little Whorls have Littler Whorls | CServe:  74756.666@compuserve.COM
And So On To Viscosity.               | Disclaimer:  My opinions.  Not Tek's.

adin@math.ufl.edu (Adin Burroughs) (09/26/90)

Well, it seems that Digi F/X has been VAPORWARE for 'bout three years, or
since demo-reel 1 (whichever came last...I can't remember..)

So, NEWTEK, are you waiting for V15 before you release it? C'mon, don't make
us wait another 3 LONNNNGGGG years before we can use it....

|									    |
|  .Sig 1.1 under construction.....					    |
|					adb@beach.cis.ufl.edu		    |
|					adin@math.ufl.edu		    |
|					Iceman@circa.ufl.edu		    |
|	'Tis better to have loved and					    |
|	 lost than to have never loved at all........			    |

tope@enea.se (Tommy Petersson) (10/04/90)

In article <1990Sep24.215257.1019@lavaca.uh.edu> jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) writes:
-
-
-On Demo-Reel 3, there's reference to a product called "F/X".  What is
-this, if it exists?
-
-Has any registered owner ever gotten any sign that NewTek knows
-they exist?  I've purchased quite a bit of NewTek stuff in the past
-6 months, and I haven't even gotten a flyer telling me about the
-Video Toaster (or that it'll be out last month :-).
---
-J. Eric Townsend -- University of Houston Dept. of Mathematics (713) 749-2120
-Internet: jet@uh.edu
-Bitnet: jet@UHOU
-Skate UNIX(r)

I've tried a lot of times, mostly by mail and fax. They seem to
be totally dead. Maybe that explains why the Toaster isn't out?

If they don't intend to answer user letters, why bother including
the card saying we should register, which also promises a newsletter?

Tommy P.

jlange@oracle.com (Jim Lange) (10/04/90)

In article <2154@enea.se> tope@enea.se (Tommy Petersson) writes:

> I've tried a lot of times, mostly by mail and fax. They seem to
> be totally dead. Maybe that explains why the Toaster isn't out?
>
> Tommy P.

They are definitely not dead.  I just returned from the FAUG (First
Amiga User's Group) meeting where the Toaster was "unveiled" and all I
can say is:  Amazing!  I was at the original preview at FAUG two years
ago and they have added so much more than originally planned.

Tim Jennison claimed that the Toaster has been shipping since 9/21,
but since there is such a long waiting list, it may be a while until
you see one at your local dealer.

Despite the fact that you need professional quality equipment to fully
utilize the Toaster (TBC, genlockable cameras, single frame recorders,
etc.  Not to mention an accelerated Amiga with 4+ megabytes) it is
still remarkable what they are including in terms of software.  Allen
Hastings illustrated this with a 3D still frame at the end of the
Lightwave 3D demo that said (in effect) "Lightwave 3D - only $1595
(includes Video Toaster)".

When you consider that current high quality genlocks and frame buffers
for the Amiga sell for $1000 - $1500 (e.g. Supergen 2000S, Magni,
firecracker 24) and with the Toaster you get a genlock with chroma key
plus DUAL 24-bit frame buffers, $1595 is a BARGAIN.  plus they "throw
in" a DVE that can manipulate any combination of four video inputs and
the two frame buffers, Toaster Paint (24 bit paint), Chroma FX for
programmable color effects, a 35 ns resolution titler with 16.7
million color colorfonts, AND the slickest and fastest 24-bit 3D
animation system I have seen (on a micro, that is)!

There were 600-1000 people in attendence (my estimate), many of whom
were video professionals who were floored by how much better each
individual 'module' was than current dedicated products on the market.
They used three projection monitors for the demo:  One for the Toaster
control panels, one for Toaster "live" output, and one for the
"preview" channel (i.e. the one that the next transition will switch
to).  The preview channel is also used with the paint, chromaFX,
titler, and 3D system for the "toasterized" (24 bit) output of what
appears on the normal amiga monitor (which is shown as a greyscale
image, or HAM in the case of the paint package), prior to being
rendered or DVE'd to the live output (so basically, you need three
monitors to use it)

They even gave one away as a door prize!  (I had a winning number, but
unfortunately, my prize was $20.00 worth of public domain software--darn.)

I hope this product takes the Video world by storm and entrenches the
Amiga in this niche market for good.  Newtek emphatically stated that
there will NEVER be a Mac or IBM version of the Toaster, ever.

I'm sure there are other netters in attendence who can give their two
cents worth perhaps provide relevant industry perspective (I'm not a
video professional, so please don't deluge me with technical
questions).  Suffice it to say that I was impressed.

Jim Lange
Oracle Corporation

dcl@ncsc1.ATT.COM (David Love x8918) (10/05/90)

In article <JLANGE.90Oct3190854@ap1seq.oracle.com> jlange@oracle.com (Jim Lange) writes:
>unfortunately, my prize was $20.00 worth of public domain software--darn.)
                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
So exactly how much free software will $20 buy these days?

--
 Dave Love
 dcl@ncsc1.att.com

david@twg.com (David S. Herron) (10/07/90)

In article <2154@enea.se> tope@enea.se (Tommy Petersson) writes:
>In article <1990Sep24.215257.1019@lavaca.uh.edu> jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) writes:
>I've tried a lot of times, mostly by mail and fax. They seem to
>be totally dead. Maybe that explains why the Toaster isn't out?

FYI -- they are most definitely *not* dead.  The Toaster is even
being shipped now (as of Friday a week ago).

They showed up at the FAUG meeting this last week and wowed everybody
with a *big* demonstration of it doing its thing.  It's a nifty product!
--
<- David Herron, an MMDF & WIN/MHS guy, <david@twg.com>
<- Formerly: David Herron -- NonResident E-Mail Hack <david@ms.uky.edu>

daves@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Dave Scroggins) (10/16/90)

>|Has any registered owner ever gotten any sign that NewTek knows
>|they exist?

>     I bought DigiPaint 3 when it first came out, and I haven't heard
>word one from them.  Anybody know if there's been an upgrade?

Yep -- I get a newsletter once in a while (far and few between),
and I got an update announcement to update from Digipaint1.0 (I think)
to the new Digipaint 3.0 for about $20.00 (or was it thirty??)

Dave S.