[comp.sys.amiga] competitiveness

AAW151%URIACC.BITNET@brownvm.brown.edu (Andy patrizio) (10/11/90)

Ok, here we go again...

John Sparks (sparks@corpane.UUCP) sez...

>Gee,I guess the company I work for isn't professional then. Funny, because
I always thought we were. We have a fortune 500 parent company after all.
But I guess we are just a bunch of hacks. We buy all our PC's mail order,
in pieces and assemble them ourselves. We have mostly 386 and 486 boxes,
running Unix and tied together with ethernet. We do all the work ourselves
because it allows us to pick and choose the parts we want to use, and we
can get better prices on the different parts from different venders.

I guess we are idiots then because we generally buy our 386's and 486's with
just a case, power supply, motherboard and 2 floppies.

We buy our ethernet cards and hard drives and monitors from other vendors.
But then we are just a bunch of idiotic unprofessional hackers.

With an attitude like that, I need little convincing. If your co-workers are as
 rude as you I'm amazed you've gotten this far.

When I said only an idiot would by a box without a hard drive, I meant a stand-
alone machine. When was the last time you saw CAD, MS WORD or PageMaker run on
a 286/386 machine, NOT ON A NETWORK, using 2 floppies? So many professional pro
grams these days use 5,6,7 or more disks that a hard drive is mandatory.

On a netword, of course, hard drives are not needed. But I wasn't refering to n
etworks, just single boxes. And DBase IV on 2 floppies (provided it would work)
 would be a nightmare.

---
Andy Patrizio              Bitnet: aaw151@uriacc.bitnet
B100C Ellery               Internet: aaw151%uriacc.uri.edu@brownvm.brown.edu
URI                        Usenet:  simon@sbs.bbs.com
Kingston, RI 02881         or... uunet!rayssd!idsvax!andypo @ idsvax.ids.com
(401) 782-2758
---
rip_off()
{
    NeXT = (Amiga * steroids)^3 + $6000;
}
---

AAW151%URIACC.BITNET@brownvm.brown.edu (Andy patrizio) writes:

>Ok, here we go again...

>John Sparks (sparks@corpane.UUCP) sez...

>I guess we are idiots then because we generally buy our 386's and 486's with
>just a case, power supply, motherboard and 2 floppies.

>We buy our ethernet cards and hard drives and monitors from other vendors.
>But then we are just a bunch of idiotic unprofessional hackers.

>With an attitude like that, I need little convincing. If your co-workers are as
> rude as you I'm amazed you've gotten this far.

I wasn't trying to be rude, just sarcastic. Rude is calling people Idiots.

>When I said only an idiot would by a box without a hard drive, I meant a stand-
>alone machine. When was the last time you saw CAD, MS WORD or PageMaker run on
>a 286/386 machine, NOT ON A NETWORK, using 2 floppies? So many professional pro
>grams these days use 5,6,7 or more disks that a hard drive is mandatory.

>On a netword, of course, hard drives are not needed. But I wasn't refering to n
>etworks, just single boxes. And DBase IV on 2 floppies (provided it would work)
> would be a nightmare.

Mean what you say and say what you mean. You said nothing like what you said
above the first time. all you said was that only an Idiot would buy a
PC without a hard drive so why do they sell Amiga's without them? (paraphrased).
I simply pointed out that Yes you can buy PC's without hard drives quite easily.
Then you came back and said that only hackers would do such a thing, so I
pointed out to you that professionals do it also, in a sarcastic note. Now
you come back and are explaining what you *really* meant to say. Sorry, but
I don't read minds. <---- I still am not trying to be rude, just pointing
out my viewpoint on this. This is not some subject to get worked up about,
let's just drop it.

--
John Sparks         |D.I.S.K. Public Access Unix System| Multi-User Games, Email
sparks@corpane.UUCP |PH: (502) 968-DISK 24Hrs/2400BPS  | Usenet, Chatting,