[comp.sys.amiga] 68030-68882 upgrade?

fhwri%CONNCOLL.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (10/15/90)

FRANCES/LUCAS is what the designer, Brad Fowles, calls "public domain
hardware." The actual designs are PD, as I understand it. He'll sell you the
traced and drilled boards with the specific chips they need (you need to buy
the generic ones, like t
he 68020/68881 and RAM chips), for $75 each. They
*WON'T* work in a 2000 (I don't think), and, while they'll work in a 500,
they won't physically fit. They were designed for us poor old b*st*rds who
STILL have a 1000 with a lousy 512K of chip RAM. They WILL work with
Greg Tibbett's (I think that's his name) Rejuvenator board, but things
will get a little...tight within the 1000's case. Fowles even sells a new,
larger RFI shield so as to fit everything in. It's really a nice design that
Fowles uses (he designed the Easyl drawing pad), and it can be assembled so
as to allow switching between the 68000 and the 68020 at bootup (for those games

                                                --rw
                                                fhwri@conncoll.bitnet

peck@ral.rpi.edu (Joseph Peck) (10/16/90)

In article <33510@nigel.ee.udel.edu> fhwri%CONNCOLL.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu writes:
>FRANCES/LUCAS is what the designer, Brad Fowles, calls "public domain
>hardware." The actual designs are PD, as I understand it. He'll sell you the
>Greg Tibbett's (I think that's his name) Rejuvenator board, but things
>will get a little...tight within the 1000's case. Fowles even sells a new,
>larger RFI shield so as to fit everything in. It's really a nice design that
>Fowles uses (he designed the Easyl drawing pad), and it can be assembled so
>as to allow switching between the 68000 and the 68020 at bootup (for those games
                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
   This isn't too clear.  Does the standard Frances/Lucas setup do this,
or do I need a rejuvenator too?  Also, what kind of memory chips does
it use? (Speed, 1mx8, etc)

>                                                --rw
>                                                fhwri@conncoll.bitnet

Thanks,
Joe Peck
peck@ral.rpi.edu

fhwri%CONNCOLL.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (10/17/90)

The standard LUCAS/FRANCES setup can be hacked (instructions come with
LUCAS/FRANCES) to add an external switch that will, when flipped before a
reboot, switch the system between 68000 and 68020. The FRANCES uses ZIP
chips, I think. You can add between 0.5 and 4 meg onto the board. The FRANCES
is *NOT* autoconfiguring, but it uses an EXTREMELY clever method of getting
around that limitation. Look up Vol 2 No. something in the late, lamented
AMIGA TRANSACTOR for the gory details.
        The Rejuvenator is a completely different beast. It turns a stock
A1000 into a 1.5 meg machine, with 1 meg CHIP and 512K FAST RAM. It adds
a clock/calendar and sockets for Kickstart ROMs, and a subset of the A2000
video slot. It'll work with FlickerFixer, but NOT with the Toaster. (If you
can afford a Toaster, you can afford a 2000 ;-) )
        That answer your question? I have neither accelerated my A1000 nor
have I Rejuvenated it--YET.
                                                --rw
                                                fhwri@conncoll.bitnet