[comp.sys.amiga] Oktalyzer...

bbs00244@uafcseg.uucp (Viet Ho) (09/05/90)

I'd like to know if this program is shareware or PD.
 I have it w/ some assembler source code but no mention
if it's commercial or PD (no documentation).   It plays
some really way cool 8 channel industrial music.
This was written in Germany and was used for the
Spherical Dreams soundtrack.
The tracker sports a really nifty interface but
unfortunately it does not multitask (so does everything
else from Europe;-() --I take it the reason is because
of the 8 voice interrupt code.

Does anyone have more tracks for it other then
Demo-Songs1-3  ???

-Viet
(Viet.Ho@samba.acs.unc.edu):send email/replies here!

v092mgp5@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Scott K Wood) (10/12/90)

   I think this was asked before, but I don't remember a reply.  Is there
any way to get the Oktalyzer program (whcih runs in PAL mdoe) to work on an
NTSC screen.  The documenation talkes about BootPAL anbdd a couple other
utilites to make an NTSC show the entire PAL screen.  Unfortunately, these
require the 1MEG Agnus.  I have it in my 500, but it is not fixed to accept
the 1MEG of RAM (have to cut a jumper or something).  Anyway, is their a
program out there that will show a PAL screen on an NTC monior WITHOUT
requiring the NTSC chipset?  If so, do you know if it works with Oktalyzer.
I am eagerly awaiting hearing 8-voices on the Amiga....8-)

                                                Scott
                                       BITNET : v092mgp5@ubvms.bitnet
                                     INTERNET : v92mgp5@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu

dvljhg@cs.umu.se (J|rgen Holmberg) (10/12/90)

In article <40252@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v092mgp5@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu writes:

>   I think this was asked before, but I don't remember a reply.  Is there
>any way to get the Oktalyzer program (whcih runs in PAL mdoe) to work on an
>NTSC screen.  The documenation talkes about BootPAL anbdd a couple other
>utilites to make an NTSC show the entire PAL screen.  Unfortunately, these
>require the 1MEG Agnus.  I have it in my 500, but it is not fixed to accept
>the 1MEG of RAM (have to cut a jumper or something).  Anyway, is their a
>program out there that will show a PAL screen on an NTC monior WITHOUT
>requiring the NTSC chipset?  If so, do you know if it works with Oktalyzer.
>I am eagerly awaiting hearing 8-voices on the Amiga....8-)
>
>                                                Scott
>                                       BITNET : v092mgp5@ubvms.bitnet
>                                     INTERNET : v92mgp5@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu

The problem with oktalyzer can not be solved with a hack like the one you
describe. The oktalyzer needs the same number of raster-lines as a pal-machine
The way to run eight-channel sound for NTSC users is to use one of the newest
soundtracker versions with eight channels.

Jorgen

eretherf@kentvax.kent.edu (Eric Von Retherford) (10/12/90)

In article <1990Oct12.113235.16458@cs.umu.se> dvljhg@cs.umu.se (J|rgen Holmberg) writes:
>In article <40252@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v092mgp5@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
>>
>>   I think this was asked before, but I don't remember a reply.  Is there
>>any way to get the Oktalyzer program (whcih runs in PAL mdoe) to work on an
>>NTSC screen.  The documenation talkes about BootPAL anbdd a couple other
>
>The problem with oktalyzer can not be solved with a hack like the one you
>describe. The oktalyzer needs the same number of raster-lines as a pal-machine
>The way to run eight-channel sound for NTSC users is to use one of the newest
>soundtracker versions with eight channels.
>
>Jorgen

Does anyone have the new Soundtracker??? Since we now have semi proof that
this is PD could someone post it?

Eric

n074ev@tamuts.tamu.edu (Christopher Walton) (10/12/90)

The OLD versions were, and STILL are PD, it is the new version, called NOISE
tracker that is NOT pd.   Anyone can get and use the old versions...

Oktalyzer on the other hand is NOT pd, although the program has been spread
around because people think that it is just another version of Soundtracker,
which it isn't...   It was written by a friend of mine, totally on his own.

Please don't confuse it with ANY ST or NT program.....

  Christopher Walton                  :    n07ev@tamuts.tamu.edu
    'To LIVE is to use an AMIGA!'     :    cmw1725@tamvenus.tamu.edu

DXB132@psuvm.psu.edu (10/17/90)

Re: Oktalyzer not working (at all) in NTSC mode...

It's very very easy to fix. They're polling VPOSR for a line that doesn't
exists in NTSC - change it so that it waits for a line that *does* exist.

-- Dan Babcock