[comp.sys.amiga] Bogus comp.sys.amiga newgroups

kherron@ms.uky.edu (Kenneth Herron) (10/14/90)

A discussion has been going on for the past week in comp.sys.amiga
concerning creating additional subgroups.  Marc Unangst
(mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us) jumped the gun this morning and posted
newgroup messages for four of these groups:

comp.sys.amiga.announce
comp.sys.amiga.unix
comp.sys.amiga.multimedia
comp.sys.amiga.graphics

Discussion has not finished, nor was there a vote; from the discussion
it's not clear that these groups would have survived a vote.

Therefore I recommend that all sites remove these groups until the usual
procedures can be completed.

Kenneth Herron

news@nixpbe.nixdorf.de (Martin Boening) (10/15/90)

In <16168@s.ms.uky.edu> kherron@ms.uky.edu (Kenneth Herron) writes:

>A discussion has been going on for the past week in comp.sys.amiga
>concerning creating additional subgroups.  Marc Unangst
>(mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us) jumped the gun this morning and posted
>newgroup messages for four of these groups:

>comp.sys.amiga.announce
>comp.sys.amiga.unix
>comp.sys.amiga.multimedia
>comp.sys.amiga.graphics

Has this discussion also been cross-posted to news.groups? I don't recall see-
ing anything about it. If it hasn't, you'd better restart the CFD. Also,
the CFV should appear in news.groups and newss.announce.newgroups, if it
happens.

For the time being I won't create the new groups and I'll alias them to
comp.sys.amiga and be done with.

So please notify me if things should become officially official. I wouldn't
want to cause a lot of confusion.

So long,
Martin
--
Martin Boening            | Tel. (+49) 5251 146155
SNI AG, Dept. STO SI 355  | FAX  (+49) 5251 146105

liberato@dri.com (Jimmy Liberato) (10/17/90)

kherron@ms.uky.edu (Kenneth Herron) writes:

>A discussion has been going on for the past week in comp.sys.amiga
>concerning creating additional subgroups.  Marc Unangst
>(mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us) jumped the gun this morning and posted
>newgroup messages for four of these groups:

>comp.sys.amiga.announce
>comp.sys.amiga.unix
>comp.sys.amiga.multimedia
>comp.sys.amiga.graphics

Since Marc did not crosspost the following article to c.s.a I will.
He has also said that he has narrowed down the culprit sites to a
few universities.

Begin excerpt:

From: mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst)
Newsgroups: news.admin
Subject: Re: comp.amiga sillyness?
Date: 14 Oct 90 16:59:39 GMT

Well, just to head these things off at the pass...

I did *not* issue the newgroup for comp.sys.amiga.announce, or any
other new c.s.a.* groups that might arrive at your site.  I haven't
even seen the control messages yet.  (Could somebody please send me the
text of the messages, including headers?)  They are forged messages.
PLEASE DISREGARD THEM.  I have sent out an rmgroup for
comp.sys.amiga.announce, and will send out rmgroups for any other
c.s.a.* groups that were created by this idiot.

And please don't send me any more flames about them.  I've already
gotten enough...

Marc Unangst               |
mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us  | "Bus error: passengers dumped"
...!umich!leebai!mudos!mju |

End excerpt.

Also, the preliminary discussions so far have been informal and local
to c.s.a.  It seems to me that we all have a pretty good sense of our
individual positions by now.  Can someone experienced in the matter
post a formal call for discussion in news.groups so that the discussion
can be moved there in preparation for voting on the reorganization?
I must commend everyone on the interesting and articulate discussion
so far.

--
Jimmy Liberato   liberato@dri.com
                 ...uunet!drivax!liberato

kherron@ms.uky.edu (Kenneth Herron) writes:

>A discussion has been going on for the past week in comp.sys.amiga
>concerning creating additional subgroups.  Marc Unangst
>(mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us) jumped the gun this morning and posted
>newgroup messages for four of these groups:

>comp.sys.amiga.announce
>comp.sys.amiga.unix
>comp.sys.amiga.multimedia
>comp.sys.amiga.graphics

>Discussion has not finished, nor was there a vote; from the discussion
>it's not clear that these groups would have survived a vote.

>Therefore I recommend that all sites remove these groups until the usual
>procedures can be completed.

>Kenneth Herron

Please do! I started a discussion (as promised several months back at
the middle of the comp.sys.amiga.games discussion) in the Amiga groups
on reorganization to save a bit of traffic in news.groups until the
Amiga community can get its act together somewhat. There was, and is,
no intention to bypass the normal complete CFD/CFV process in
news.announce.newgroups; we just aren't ready to go netwide yet, as the
shape of the reorganization proposal hasn't gelled.  Look for us in a
week or two.

Sorry for the overenthusiasm of a participant; I'm sure he's been read
the rules, at length, in email by now.  ;-)

Kent, the man from xanth.