[comp.sys.amiga] C-Ltd controller for A1000

jones@uv4.eglin.af.mil (Calvin Jones, III) (10/16/90)

rey@psuecl.bitnet writes:

> I may be buying a C-Ltd SCSI host/controller adapter from a friend at
> what seems to be a very reasonable price ($50).  This controller will be
> for my A1000.  If anyone has experience with this adapter I would
> appreciate your help.  Please note that use of SCSI devices is somewhat
> new to me and I've been living with floppies, so please excuse any dumb
> questions.

The dumb questions are the ones that you *DON'T* ask!

I've been using a C-Ltd SCSI controller on my A1000 for over 3 years now
and have had no problems with it.

> 1)  From a cursory view, it appears that I this controller will not
> autoboot from the hard-drive.  Is there any updates to it that can
> make it auto-booting?  (From what I've heard, C-Ltd is no more.)

The C-Ltd A1000 SCSI host controller does not auto-boot.  They never got
around to producing the KRONOS version for the A1000.

> 2)  In the documentation, it mentions that the system uses C-Ltd's
> SCSI-dos. Does it mean that it won't use the hard-drive routines found
> in 1.3 (the system disk supplied with the controller is version 1.2).
> Will I be able to take advantage of FFS, etc. or is the controller only
> compatible with its own "SCSI-dos".

I believe that C-Ltd released a SCSIDOS 3.0 which was compatible with
1.3.  They were very good about allowing their software to be
distributed freely via BBSs, so it's widely available.  You can get a
copy from my BBS if you like.  It does support FFS and all the rest of
the 1.3 stuff.

> 3)  Since I will be working with an A-1000, I will need to purchase a
> harddrive that comes in an external case.  Any suggestions?  Any
> cautions?

You will need an external box, power supply, and drive since the A1000
doesn't have room inside for the drive.  I bought a "Mac" compatible
SCSI external drive from Hard Drives International (see any issue of
Computer Shopper) and it's worked fine.  I've also used the same
controller with an Adaptec 4070a SCSI RLL interface to connect an
Okidata ST412 type drive to the controller.

   --- Cal
           ____
 HOBBIT   / / /  340 Meg Online
  HOLE   / / /  12/24/9600HST bps                   AMIGA:
  ____  / / /  Exclusively   Amiga
  \ \ \/ / /  "Best Amiga BBS in FL"    The computer for the BEST of us!
   \ \ \/ /  July, 1989 Final List(tm)
    \_\_\/  A comfortable place to meet
 --------------------------------------
 Cal Jones, Sysop.  904-243-6219  24Hrs

cag4@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Carson A Gaspar) (10/16/90)

In article <33531@nigel.ee.udel.edu> jones@uv4.eglin.af.mil (Calvin Jones, III) writes:

>The C-Ltd A1000 SCSI host controller does not auto-boot.  They never got
>around to producing the KRONOS version for the A1000.
>

>   --- Cal
>           ____
> HOBBIT   / / /  340 Meg Online
>  HOLE   / / /  12/24/9600HST bps                   AMIGA:
>  ____  / / /  Exclusively   Amiga
>  \ \ \/ / /  "Best Amiga BBS in FL"    The computer for the BEST of us!
>   \ \ \/ /  July, 1989 Final List(tm)
>    \_\_\/  A comfortable place to meet
> --------------------------------------
> Cal Jones, Sysop.  904-243-6219  24Hrs

The Kronos _is_ available for the 1000. MicroDyn is currently handling
the C Ltd line of products. Their number is (316)265-2661.

C G  BIX: cgaspar                          "I'll never be cruel to an electron
 A   Internet: cag4@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu  in a particle accelerator again"
     Proud owner of an A1000 with Pawprints          - The Doctor

hamilton@intersil.uucp (10/18/90)

In article <33531@nigel.ee.udel.edu>, jones@uv4.eglin.af.mil (Calvin Jones, III) writes:
> rey@psuecl.bitnet writes:
>
>> I may be buying a C-Ltd SCSI host/controller adapter from a friend at
>> what seems to be a very reasonable price ($50).

<deleted>

>> 1)  From a cursory view, it appears that I this controller will not
>> autoboot from the hard-drive.  Is there any updates to it that can
>> make it auto-booting?  (From what I've heard, C-Ltd is no more.)
>
> The C-Ltd A1000 SCSI host controller does not auto-boot.  They never got
> around to producing the KRONOS version for the A1000.

Oh yes they did!  I called them up and asked if it was compatable with
LUCAS/FRANCES (the non-Kronos version works great), they said it was, so
I ordered on on their "no-down time" plan.   This is the plan where you
send them a check for $430, they send you the Kronos, then you send them
your old controller, and they refund you $300.

Except that they went out of business before they sent me my $300.  And
the Kronos doesn't work with my LUCAS.  I was lucky, though, I still have my
original controller.  I know some people were left out $300 and a controller.
--
Fred Hamilton                  Any views, comments, or ideas expressed here
Harris Semiconductor           are entirely my own.  Even good ones.