[comp.sys.amiga] MS-DOS disk formatting

edp367s@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Rik Harris) (10/12/90)

vodall@hpfcso.HP.COM (Bill Vodall) writes:

>Yes.  The Amiga Minix runs on the 1000.  I received my copy last night.

>I did have to rebuild the boot disk as one of the critical files had
>a read error.  Fortunately a backup file was provided.

>There may be some other gotcha's (the MS-DOS format utility hangs) but so far
>it looks pretty good.

Unfortunately I haven't got my copy of Amiga Minix for my 1000 yet (it's
ordered), but I note with interest the remark about MS-DOS formatting.

I have tried many packages on the 1000 to try and format MS-DOS disk, and most
of them crash my Amiga.  Is this something that happens with the many amigas,
1000's only, or my 1000 only.  I didn't think much of it, until Bill mentioned
this about Minix.

Has anyone else had similar problems?

rik.
--
Rik Harris - edp367s@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au           | Build a system that
Faculty of Computing and Information Technology,      | even a fool can use,

tba@pws.bull.com (Todd Aubin) (10/18/90)

edp367s@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Rik Harris) writes:

>I have tried many packages on the 1000 to try and format MS-DOS disk, and most
>of them crash my Amiga.  Is this something that happens with the many amigas,
>1000's only, or my 1000 only.  I didn't think much of it, until Bill mentioned
>this about Minix.

>Has anyone else had similar problems?

>rik.

	I have an Amy 1000 with an external drive and a hard drive,
	along with a a Microbotics hard disk controller and 2.5 Meg
	of ram.

	I use "dos-2-dos". It works great!!!

	However, make sure that you always specify the drive name.
	For example, you must say: format df1:

	This might sound simplex to some, but bare in mind that dos-2-dos
	asks the user for the device name to be used for ALL dos-2-dos
	work. I answer df0:, lets say. Therefore I expect that when I
	say "format", it knows I mean df0:.  well, it don't.

	You have to say "format df0:" or sometimes you will get a
	lock up.

--
Todd B. Aubin					uunet!hbiso!tba
                                             or tba@pws.bull.com