[comp.sys.amiga] 1084 monitor and the IBM

kaufmads@clutx.clarkson.edu (Dana S. Kaufman,TEP House,58520,) (10/17/90)

I have a question about the 1084 monitor.  I am trying to use it as an
EGA monitor on an IBM compatible.  The problem is, some programs won't
work.  Specifically Windows 3.0.  Here is the question:  Is the 1084
EGA compatible?  I think it works in 640X200 mode but not in
640x400 (or 320 I'm not sure).  Is this mode running at 31Mhz and the
1084 can't handle it?  Any help would be welcome.

Dana S. Kaufman

In article <1990Oct16.211736.15129@news.clarkson.edu> kaufmads@clutx.clarkson.edu writes:
>I have a question about the 1084 monitor.  I am trying to use it as an
>EGA monitor on an IBM compatible.  The problem is, some programs won't
>work.  Specifically Windows 3.0.  Here is the question:  Is the 1084
>EGA compatible?

NO. It's out of specs for the 1084. We tried it ourselves and got 1084's
running EGA, but one died during this experiment and the other showed
only a very small picture. Maybe some samples of the 1084 can stand it
and work properly, but it can't be guaranteed. NOT RECOMMENDED.

The 1084 makes a nice CGA monitor, though :-)

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (10/18/90)

kaufmads@clutx.clarkson.edu (Dana S. Kaufman,TEP House,58520,) writes:

> I have a question about the 1084 monitor.  I am trying to use it as an
> EGA monitor on an IBM compatible.  The problem is, some programs won't
> work.  Specifically Windows 3.0.  Here is the question:  Is the 1084
> EGA compatible?  I think it works in 640X200 mode but not in
> 640x400 (or 320 I'm not sure).  Is this mode running at 31Mhz and the
> 1084 can't handle it?  Any help would be welcome.
>
> Dana S. Kaufman
> kaufmads@clutx.clarkson.edu

The A1084 will handle CGA graphics. Not EGA. (BTW, I heard the A1084S was
discontinued. Is this true?)

-Joseph Hillenburg

UUCP: ...iuvax!valnet!joseph
ARPA: valnet!joseph@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu