[comp.sys.amiga] How to decompress a .ZAP file

EACONS@MTUS5.BITNET (Ernie Anderson) (10/15/90)

I just downloaded the gravattack.ZAP file from abcfd20's incoming/amiga
directory, and now I don't know how to decompress it.  I'll admit that I
don't have it on my amiga right now, so I haven't tried executing it.
(ala .PAK files)  So, if someone could tell me how to decompress it, I would
be eternally grateful, etc, etc.  I swore to myself that I would never be
posting a message like this, but I guess there is a first time for everything.
(Uh, oh, I also swore to myself I'd never program in COBOL... :-)

Ernie Anderson
ejanders@mtus5.BITNET ejanders@mtus5.cts.mtu.edu ejanders@symmetry.cs.mtu.edu

greg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Greg Harp) (10/15/90)

In article <90287.211843EACONS@MTUS5.BITNET> EACONS@MTUS5.BITNET (Ernie Anderson) writes:
>I just downloaded the gravattack.ZAP file from abcfd20's incoming/amiga
>directory, and now I don't know how to decompress it...

[I'm following up in case anyone else is wondering.]

Just get 'zap141.lzh' from abcfd20.  Zap is YAFDCP (yet another full-disk
compression program), so you'll need a floppy handy...

BTW, the game is pretty cute...  Looks like a lot of hard work went into it...

>Ernie Anderson
>ejanders@mtus5.BITNET ejanders@mtus5.cts.mtu.edu ejanders@symmetry.cs.mtu.edu

Greg

---------------Greg-Harp---------------greg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu----------------
AMIGA! //
      // Don't you just hate those long signature files?  I mean, there oughta
    \X/  be a law.  If I were in control, .sigs would get cut off if they were

fhwri%CONNCOLL.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (10/15/90)

ZAP is quite a bit like WARP; it only works in DF0:. You need the ZAP program
of course. To use:

1> zap write filename[.ZAP]

with a disk in df0:. That should do it. I've found ZAP to be kind of flaky,
compared to WARP, but quite a few whole-disk files are compressed with ZAP.
It's one of those programs that multicolor your screen while it's working...

Make sure that if you get ZAP, you don't already have the file editor by the sam
name in your C: directory, or it'll be replaced when you copy it over. Either
that, or rename one or the other...

                                                        --rw
                                                        fhwri@conncoll.bitnet

n074ev@tamuts.tamu.edu (Christopher Walton) (10/15/90)

You need a file called "ZAP"!  It is akin to the WARP format because it takes
a whole disk and compresses it into one file!  I don't think it is on abcfd,
but I`ll tell you that it is not worth it....   The program really does bite
the big one!

  Christopher Walton                  :    n07ev@tamuts.tamu.edu
    'To LIVE is to use an AMIGA!'     :    cmw1725@tamvenus.tamu.edu

twells@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Tabor Wells) (10/16/90)

fhwri%CONNCOLL.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu writes:

[stuff deleted]

Correction in syntax:

>1> zap write filename[.ZAP]

Should be: 1> zap w filename.zap

>with a disk in df0:. That should do it. I've found ZAP to be kind of flaky,

Flaky in what way? It crunches tighter. It's faster. It provides crunch depth
options. I do have 3 complaints... 1: The flash is annoying. 2: It has problems
with stuff that has already been crunched. For ex: When I zapped a workbench
disk with a bunch of powerpacked programs on it, it didn't decompress those
correctly and just caused gurus, when they were executed. 3: It doesn't provide
start track-end track options. It's a good program (although I'll admit, I like
DImp better).

[more tips deleted]

>                                                        --rw
>                                                        fhwri@conncoll.bitnet

	Tabor Wells
	twells@eecs.cs.pdx.edu

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (10/17/90)

The only reason that those files flash like that is because it's
comressed with a exec compressor like PowerPacker. My advice is to feed
it through PowerPacker and see if you can save any space, or if your like
me, where you don't like to wait for decrunch time, you could
decompress it. BTW..anyone know when PowerPacker 3.0 & utils comes out?
What are the changes?

-Joseph Hillenburg

UUCP: ...iuvax!valnet!joseph
ARPA: valnet!joseph@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
INET: joseph@valnet.UUCP

fhwri%CONNCOLL.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (10/18/90)

According to the new (November) Jumpdisk, Jumpdisk itself will be selling
PowerPacker 3.0. Price is not yet announced, but it won't be outrageous,
according to the editor. Their other prices are certainly reasonable...
                                                --rw
                                                fhwri@conncoll.bitnet