[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga 500 sticky keys

thyerj%hamlet.acc.uncg.edu@ncsuvm.ncsu.edu (10/12/90)

        Quite often I have a problem with my Amiga 500 keyboard. One or
two of the keys seem to not respond at all until you beat on them really
hard. Cleaning the keyboard seems to have no real effect on the problem.
If anyone has had similar problems to this, let me know if you have a
solution!

Jonathan Thyer
--
Bitnet  : thyerj@uncg.bitnet
Internet: thyerj@steffi.acc.uncg.edu

groenewo@swi.psy.uva.nl (Groenewoud Ferry van het) (10/15/90)

thyerj%hamlet.acc.uncg.edu@ncsuvm.ncsu.edu writes:

>        Quite often I have a problem with my Amiga 500 keyboard. One or
>two of the keys seem to not respond at all until you beat on them really
>hard. Cleaning the keyboard seems to have no real effect on the problem.
>If anyone has had similar problems to this, let me know if you have a
>solution!

Woh! I have exactly the same problem! At a certain moment my DEL and
cursor RIGHT key started to fail. No matter how hard I pressed them,
they wouldn't work. When I, being irritated, slammed my hands on the
keyboard, pressing many keys at once, the keys would sometimes suddenly
start to work again, both. I never had this with other keys, only these
two, and they always failed *together*. Now they don't work no more at all
(snif!) so help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Of course I checked out whether this would be some kind of virus but
no, that can't be, unless the virus is able to jump physically from
disk to disk. I even removed my memoryexpansion. No use.

Still I think amiga is great however.

>Jonathan Thyer
>--
>Bitnet  : thyerj@uncg.bitnet
>Internet: thyerj@steffi.acc.uncg.edu
>          thyerj@hamlet.acc.uncg.edu

Dave@avignon.gbdt.oz.au (Dave Moore) (10/18/90)

The problem I found when this occured was that the little "leaf springs" that
make up the keyboard connection were not always springing together.

	(My A500 is an early rev 5 board, since then the keyboard has changed
	 so this may not be the case for you, but it does sound like it)

	The solution is to rip the keytop off and carefully re-tension
	(eg: bend ;-) the springs a little towards the centre.  Crude?
	yeah, but it WORKS!

	Dave.

ps: could some kind soul tell me if this message actually got out?

	Dave Moore               |
                                 |shift it to the left, shift it to the right
 EMail: Dave@avignon.gbdt.oz.au  |    push down, pop up, byte byte byte!
  Disclaimer: Of course these are just my opinions, whose else should I post?