[comp.sys.amiga] Difference between 1080 and 1084?

a976@mindlink.UUCP (Ron Tarrant) (10/18/90)

> jimsa@milton.u.washington.edu writes:
>
> Msg-ID: <9491@milton.u.washington.edu>
>
> Org.  : University of Washington, Seattle
> Person: Jim Sather
>

> This may be a dumb question but what is the difference between the 1080
> monitor and the 1084?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Jim
> jimsa@blake.acs.washington.edu

The 1080 is an older model and, for my money, a far superior monitor as far as
reliability goes. We have had three 1080s over the last 4 years and two 1084s.
The first 1080 is still running fine (although not at our house any more). The
other two 1080s are still here and still doing well. One was in the shop for
minor repairs about six months ago but other than that a quick tune-up once in
a while and they're fine.
        The 1084s, though, were a total pain. I realize that it was just the
luck of the draw, but the first 1084 lasted - are you ready for this? - three
hours. When we finally talked the dealer into giving us another one (after
waiting SIX MONTHS for Commodore to send parts!) the second one lasted NEARLY 3
hours. Since then I have absolutely no faith in the 1084, I'm afraid. Twice
bitten and all that.
-Ron Tarrant
a976@Mindlink.UUCP

jimsa@milton.u.washington.edu (Jim Sather) (10/19/90)