[comp.sys.amiga] ATARI EMUL

wdao@girtab.usc.edu (Walter Dao) (10/12/90)

I downloaded the ATARI1 emulator, ran it and found it quite impressive.
The next step was to get some program to run on it.
having DOS-2-DOS helped alot.
I then got a few prgs for the atari (from Terminator).
And here are a few comments + questions :

QUIX : like the game of the same name but uses characters instead of graphics
       (It was ported to the ST from CP/M (I think)). It ran fine.
AMIGA_EM : Amiga emulator (it's a joke like the very first st emulator).
           I got it to load , flash an amiga-like screen for 1 second then
           back to the main atari screen workbench.
COLORdemo : some color graphic demo , same thing as above. Flash for 1 second
            then back to the st menu selector.
VIewpic2 : STos error # 35
NTplay : plays amiga music , but I got stos error #35

What am I doing wrong ? is it happening to you ?
when is atari2 emulator going to be out (if there is ) ?

ANYWAY, the program was quite impressive. about 200k powerpacked, imagine what
the real size must be ....

					Walter

252u3130@fergvax.unl.edu (Phil Dietz) (10/12/90)

I've found that the HIGH RES screen will run the most programs.

I've found an FTP Atari ST bouty site!  Grab the current FTP list off of
128.174.5.59.  Grep all the atari addresses, and pick the one with
Michigan in its name.  It has hundreds of stuff.  Check out minigolf,
and tetris something!  Remember to use high-res.

Phil Dietz

<<<=================--------- Cheap Ad ---------===================<<<
Phil Dietz                       SWL Lincoln    550 MEGS! 2 lines
252u3130@fergvax.unl.edu         (402)421-1963  IBM, GIFS, MAC, AMIGA

jeremym@brahms.udel.edu (Jeremy A Moskowitz) (10/13/90)

In article <1990Oct12.045356.25884@hoss.unl.edu> 252u3130@fergvax.unl.edu (Phil Dietz) writes:
>I've found that the HIGH RES screen will run the most programs.
>
>I've found an FTP Atari ST bouty site!  Grab the current FTP list off of
>128.174.5.59.  Grep all the atari addresses, and pick the one with
>Michigan in its name.  It has hundreds of stuff.  Check out minigolf,
>and tetris something!  Remember to use high-res.
>
>Phil Dietz

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHH!

I'm so jelous. My stinkin amiga wont run the Atari ST emulator
and I DONT KNOW WHY!!! I have the following setup (as many know):

A500 (skinny agnus)
40 Meg Quantum                     }
2  Meg Ram (with IVS meta 4 board) } can be both turned off!
Amax, two flopers.

Why wont it work? I get the pick a screen Hi, med, and low,
then no go. (hey!) Anwyway... the first person who can
solve my woes gets as a prize a big sloppy wet kiss
from yours truely. So... pucker up, and c'mon, and help
me out. Ps: how's me new signatue (everyone who gets
mail from me?:)

-jeremym@brahms.udel.edu

jnmoyne@lbl.gov (Jean-Noel MOYNE) (10/13/90)

   Ok, let's talk a little about this ST emulator. This emulator was made
to reach one goal: emulate the ST in Monochrome-hires mode, for the other
modes: try to have something, but don't try much.

   In other words, the guy who made this progam just wanted to be able to
run the "professional" programs (i.e. the utilities, well programmed, not
using graphics hacks, etc ...) because on the ST like on the Amiga you
have 2 sort of programs: the demos, games and music stuff which are trying
to get the most of the machine, and the utilities and others which are
trying to get the most of the machine, thru the operating system.

    If you have an Amiga, you don't need to have an ST for the games and
for the music or demos ! But you may need the ST for nice MIDI programs
(and even ...) for nice Word processing programs (sorry but it's true
...), or even desktop publishing (sorry too, have you seen Calamus ?), or
for some obscure program you need and that was never adapted to the Amiga,

   That's why this ST emulator is quite well runing in Hi-Res mode ... As
for the color mode the only serious programs running in color mode are
Drawing programs ... and you really don't need any ST drawing program on
your Amiga !!!  ((-: And of course all the games and other demos are
pushing ST's poor hardware to it's limits using bugs in it .. and there's
no way an emulator could do that. I don't believe you'll be able to have
'sprites in the border' on a Commodore 64 emulator (for the ex-C64 wizs
who remember how to do it (-:))

     What's interesting however is that the new ST system, supporting
68030 is finished and out now ! (they don't have any sort of 68030 card to
try it now, but it's the first step (-:). I don't know but I bet you at
least half of the programs on the ST won't run with a 020 or 030.
Commodore had allways said don't use instructions that won't run on a 020,
and there was still a lot programs that wouldn't run on it when the first
cards came out. So now imagine the same thing on the ST where for years
even the OS was using these forbidden instructions, and the use of the
supervisor mode on the ST is much more stronger than on the Amiga.

    Anyway, just use the Hi-Res mode of the Atari ST Emulator, and just
try to use civilized prgrams on it !

     JNM

--
These are my own ideas (not LBL's)
" Just make it!", BO in 'BO knows Unix'

d88-mbe@sm.luth.se (Michael Bergman) (10/13/90)

252u3130@fergvax.unl.edu (Phil Dietz) writes:

>I've found that the HIGH RES screen will run the most programs.
>
>I've found an FTP Atari ST bouty site!  Grab the current FTP list off of
>128.174.5.59.  Grep all the atari addresses, and pick the one with

Ah, yes, you mean terminator.cc.umich.edu, of course. Why didn't you
say so in the first place? Would have saved some ftp'ings to pilot.njin.net!

Mike
--
      Michael Bergman         Internet: d88-mbe@sm.luth.se
  //  Undergrad. Comp. Eng.   BITNET:   d88-mbe%sm.luth.se@kth.se

kaufmads@clutx.clarkson.edu (Dana S. Kaufman,TEP House,58520,) (10/16/90)

From article <12464@chaph.usc.edu>, by wdao@girtab.usc.edu (Walter Dao):

> I downloaded the ATARI1 emulator, ran it and found it quite impressive.
> The next step was to get some program to run on it.
> having DOS-2-DOS helped alot.
> I then got a few prgs for the atari (from Terminator).
> And here are a few comments + questions :
>
> QUIX : like the game of the same name but uses characters instead of graphics
>        (It was ported to the ST from CP/M (I think)). It ran fine.
> AMIGA_EM : Amiga emulator (it's a joke like the very first st emulator).
>            I got it to load , flash an amiga-like screen for 1 second then
>            back to the main atari screen workbench.
> COLORdemo : some color graphic demo , same thing as above. Flash for 1 second
>             then back to the st menu selector.
> VIewpic2 : STos error # 35
> NTplay : plays amiga music , but I got stos error #35
>
> What am I doing wrong ? is it happening to you ?
> when is atari2 emulator going to be out (if there is ) ?
>

> ANYWAY, the program was quite impressive. about 200k powerpacked, imagine what
> the real size must be ....
>

> 					Walter

I think this is kind of funny.  I got the Atari Emulator to run an
APPLE II emulator running a basic program.  Worked perfect.

Dana S. Kaufman

kaufmads@clutx.clarkson.edu (Dana S. Kaufman,TEP House,58520,) writes:

>I think this is kind of funny.  I got the Atari Emulator to run an
>APPLE II emulator running a basic program.  Worked perfect.

What someone needs to do is use the Amiga to run the Atari ST emulator to
run Magic Sac Macintosh Emulator to run SoftPC IBM emulator. Is there an
Apple II emulator on MSDOS?

--
John Sparks         |D.I.S.K. Public Access Unix System| Multi-User Games, Email
sparks@corpane.UUCP |PH: (502) 968-DISK 24Hrs/2400BPS  | Usenet, Chatting,