[comp.sys.amiga] abcfd20 uploads

tadguy@abcfd01.larc.nasa.gov (Tad Guy) (10/17/90)

In article <1990Oct16.121820.2417@ifi.uio.no> tommyf@ifi.uio.no (Tommy Finsen) writes:
> ProTracker has now been upploaded as pt.lzh on abcfd20.larc.nasa.gov
> (NewXanth), in directory /incoming/amiga.

And has been duly removed, because the program is clearly a derivitive
of SoundTracker, a copyrighted work.

*** EVERYONE! ***

Abcfd20 will go away if people don't start showing some sense in what
they upload!  The recent fiasco about the Atari emulator is a case in
point---how could it work if it didn't have a copy of TOS in it?  (And
don't whine to me claiming that it may be a reimplementation...)

I don't have the time to check everything that's uploaded to abcfd20,
thus I depend on you all to watch for questionable files.  The login
message and the /README file now make this explicit.

Things that MUST NOT be uploaded to abcfd20:

	- Emulators that may contain proprietary code (ex, Atari1, AtariEa)
        - Derivitives of copyrighted works (NoiseTracker, ProTracker, etc)
        - Things clearly not redistributable (JRComm V1.0 and above, etc)

I've just about had it already with the irresponsibility I'm seeing in
the uploads---I just don't need the hassle...

	...tad

252u3130@fergvax.unl.edu (Phil Dietz) (10/18/90)

Ahemmmm.  What's the deal!

1) About Atari1.  How do YOU know that they didn't create their own
version of TOS??  Hmmmm... About 4 years ago all the IBM CLONES came out
and they legally were allowed to be sold!  What about the C64 emulator?
He said that the ROMS were not allowed to be sent, so he included a ROM
copying program for those that owned one. <the c64 pakage that I got HAD
the ROMS with it!>

2) Maybe NoiseTracker can be taken off but NOT MED and IntuiTracker.
They were written for PD distribution.  True they have the look and
feel, but then so does amiga's workbench and mouse WITH a Mac system.
If MED and IntuiTracker were COPIED source code an all then they should
be taken off, otherwise they should stay <like they are!>

I don't see anyone filing any lawsuits on computer companies that use TV
monitor technology.  A long time ago, a computer company came up with
the idea of using a monitor instead of CARDS.....hmmm....every computer
company today would have to be taken off the shelves if they are going
by the books.

3) John Radigan released JRCOMM1.00 AND 1.01 to the public so they can
stay up.  By the way the zmodem has a heinous bug, it'll be likely he'll
be realing MORE to the public....

Phil Dietz

<<<=================--------- Cheap Ad ---------===================<<<
Phil Dietz                       SWL Lincoln    565 MEGS! 2 lines
252u3130@fergvax.unl.edu         (402)421-1963  AMIGA, IBM, MAC, GIFS
                Unless your're qweer, you'll buy an Amiga.

bigbroth@babcock.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu (James M. Coleman) (10/18/90)

From article <1990Oct17.202058.16301@hoss.unl.edu>, by 252u3130@fergvax.unl.edu (Phil Dietz):
> Ahemmmm.  What's the deal!

> 1) About Atari1.  How do YOU know that they didn't create their own
> version of TOS??  Hmmmm... About 4 years ago all the IBM CLONES came out
> and they legally were allowed to be sold!  What about the C64 emulator?
> He said that the ROMS were not allowed to be sent, so he included a ROM
> copying program for those that owned one. <the c64 pakage that I got HAD
> the ROMS with it!>
>
> 2) Maybe NoiseTracker can be taken off but NOT MED and IntuiTracker.
> They were written for PD distribution.  True they have the look and
> feel, but then so does amiga's workbench and mouse WITH a Mac system.
> If MED and IntuiTracker were COPIED source code an all then they should
> be taken off, otherwise they should stay <like they are!>
>
> Other Stuff Deleted

None of this matters. If Tad is uncomfortable with ANY uploads, for ANY
reason, and asks the net to refrain from uploading certain files we
should do as he asks. He is devoting his time at no cost, and doing the
Amiga netters a great service. To complain about a request from him is
about the same as gripping about your presents Christmas morning. Many
is the time I felt like it was Christmas as I downloaded a great utility
or game from abcfd20. Hats off to Tad and lets honor his request.

					Jim Coleman

> <<<=================--------- Cheap Ad ---------===================<<<
> Phil Dietz                       SWL Lincoln    565 MEGS! 2 lines
> 252u3130@fergvax.unl.edu         (402)421-1963  AMIGA, IBM, MAC, GIFS
>                 Unless your're qweer, you'll buy an Amiga.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
~   If Commodore were to come out with a shirt-pocket, 100 MIPS Amiga   ~
*   with 20 megs of memory and 1 gig of disk, and sold it for $300,     *
~   the first thing the industry would ask is "Is it IBM compatible?".  ~
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

			Jim Coleman
			Concurrent Engineering Research Center
			West Virginia University
			Morgantown,WV 26505

hill@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Col. Ames and Pixel) (10/18/90)

  I hate to sound net.policeish but..... It doens't matter *DIDDLY* what we
as c.s.a think. Tad is maintainer of the archives, thus Tad is the benevolent
despot :-)

  If Tad is UNCERTAIN about the legality of certain uploads the abcfd20 he has
EVERY RIGHT to delete them, and we have no justified right to bitch. If YOU
want to archive Atari emulators and SoundTracker derivatives download SoftSpan
BBS from /incoming/amiga and start a BBS.

  Now a more positive note.... Thanks for the FTP site Tad and to whomever is
the sysadmin that lets us archive there (Is it NASA???)

      I do not fear FTP sites I fear the LACK of them....
                                      - adam hill
--
 adam hill                                   Everybody lies about sex.
 hill@evax.arl.utexas.edu    BOING!4Ever     Rub HER feet!

In article <1990Oct17.202058.16301@hoss.unl.edu> 252u3130@fergvax.unl.edu (Phil Dietz) writes:

>1) About Atari1.  How do YOU know that they didn't create their own
>version of TOS??  Hmmmm... About 4 years ago all the IBM CLONES came out
>and they legally were allowed to be sold!

At least for the Commodore PC clones, I can tell you that IBM actually
tried hard to sue us for pirating, back then in 1985 when we brought
them out. But we could prove that the BIOS (and this is the only part
you could sue someone) was developed on our own and the case was
settled.

And I think it was Phoenix who took big effort in proving that their
BIOS was an own development, working with programmers who had to sign
that they never had come across any IBM BIOS stuff before, so they
were "clean".

The result is: PC BIOS has to do such elementary (read primitive)
functions, that you can reproduce its functionality fairly easy.
And when you additionally consider some of the known ROM addresses
where nasty software uses to jump directly, then you are well done
without risking legal conflicts with IBM.

new@ee.udel.edu (Darren New) (10/19/90)

In article <520@cbmger.UUCP> peterk@cbmger.UUCP (Peter Kittel GERMANY) writes:
>At least for the Commodore PC clones, I can tell you that IBM actually
>tried hard to sue us for pirating, back then in 1985 when we brought
>them out. But we could prove that the BIOS (and this is the only part
>you could sue someone) was developed on our own and the case was
>settled.

I've heard that IBM also patented much of the hardware, including the
interface between the keyboard and main box, and the interface between
the 8086 and the 8087.  I wonder if all the companies making PC clones
have aquired lisences or what?         -- Darren
--
--- Darren New --- Grad Student --- CIS --- Univ. of Delaware ---
----- Network Protocols, Graphics, Programming Languages,