[comp.sys.amiga] Replacing the mouse

person@plains.NoDak.edu (Brett G. Person) (09/27/90)

I am currently working with a person who has cerebral palsey and needs a
computer.  I recommended an Amiga which was purchassed.  My initial plan was
rip out all the front-end stuff and just have him use the keyboard and CLI.
But, I would prefer that some way be found for him to use the mouse to
control the machine. The documentation I got with the Amiga 500 is pretty
non-technical (no big surpreise..) and what I want to do is build a joystick
that will send the same signals as the mouse sends.

I have no idea how the Amiga mouse works, and would be greatfull for any
suggestions as to a mouse replacement that someone with fairly limited
dexterity could use.

Thanks

--
Brett G. Person
North Dakota State University

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (09/27/90)

person@plains.NoDak.edu (Brett G. Person) writes:

> I am currently working with a person who has cerebral palsey and needs a
> computer.  I recommended an Amiga which was purchassed.  My initial plan was
> rip out all the front-end stuff and just have him use the keyboard and CLI.
> But, I would prefer that some way be found for him to use the mouse to
> control the machine. The documentation I got with the Amiga 500 is pretty
> non-technical (no big surpreise..) and what I want to do is build a joystick
> that will send the same signals as the mouse sends.
>
> I have no idea how the Amiga mouse works, and would be greatfull for any
> suggestions as to a mouse replacement that someone with fairly limited
> dexterity could use.
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Brett G. Person
> North Dakota State University
> uunet!plains!person | person@plains.bitnet | person@plains.nodak.edu

Just buy the Gravis MouseStick.

-Joseph Hillenburg

UUCP: ...iuvax!valnet!joseph
ARPA: valnet!joseph@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
INET: joseph@valnet.UUCP

eric@eklektik.UUCP (/dev/ph1) (09/28/90)

In article <6045@plains.NoDak.edu> person@plains.NoDak.edu (Brett G. Person) writes:
>I am currently working with a person who has cerebral palsey and needs a
>non-technical (no big surpreise..) and what I want to do is build a joystick
>that will send the same signals as the mouse sends.

Or...Make the joystick emulate the mouse in software.  The productivity set
Gizmoz II included such a program, called joymouse.  It might be easier
than hacking hardware.

--
---------------------------------------
Eric Kennedy                    eric@eklektik.pgh.pa.us

hgschmie@faui41.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Henning Schmiedehausen) (10/02/90)

In <6003@eklektik.UUCP> eric@eklektik.UUCP (/dev/ph1) writes:

>In article <6045@plains.NoDak.edu> person@plains.NoDak.edu (Brett G. Person) writes:
>>I am currently working with a person who has cerebral palsey and needs a
>>non-technical (no big surpreise..) and what I want to do is build a joystick
>>that will send the same signals as the mouse sends.

>Or...Make the joystick emulate the mouse in software.  The productivity set
>Gizmoz II included such a program, called joymouse.  It might be easier
>than hacking hardware.

>--
>---------------------------------------
>Eric Kennedy                    eric@eklektik.pgh.pa.us
>(formerly ejkst@pitt.UUCP)      ...pitt!idis!eklektik!eric

Well, you don't even need any software emulation!

Just open the input.device and tell it to use the joystick instead
of a mouse!
Do the following:
open the input.device
use IND_SETMTYPE  as command and
GPCT_RELJOYSTICK / GPCT_ABSJOYSTICK as Type in the request
close the input.device
connect joystick to port #1

If you don't like to disconnect the mouse, well
open the input.device
use IND_SETMPORT as comand and
an pointer to an UWORD, which must contain 0x01 for
port nr. 2 IMPORTANT! THE DATA-field of the request MUST
contain the address of the UWORD containing the 0x01, not
the 0x01 itself.
close the device

I's a shame, that Commo told almost nothing about IND_SETMTYPE
in V 1.3 Libs&Devs (p 693 ff), I got this trick from a german
book called 'Amiga Intern Vol. 2'.
But look, those guys at Commo-Amiga are MUCH smarter than their
fellows at Commo Sales Department. They thought about using the
joystick as a Mouse-Replacement!
If you desperately need the complete program, email me and I
will send you a little C-Prog which performs the necessary
steps to switch over to the mouse. It's great to see, that
there are people out there, who care about handicapped people.

				Henning

+-------------------------------------------+--------------------+
| hgschmie@faui09.informatik.uni-erlangen.de| Space is big,      |
| hgschmie@faui41.informatik.uni-erlangen.de| Space is dark,     |
| (Henning Schmiedehausen, Glueckstrasse 3  | it's hard to find  |
| 8520 Erlangen, West Germany, 09131/209611)| a place to park    |
+-------------------------------------------+--------------------+

blgardne@javelin.es.com@bambam.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) (10/10/90)

eric@eklektik.UUCP (/dev/ph1) writes:

>In article <6045@plains.NoDak.edu> person@plains.NoDak.edu (Brett G. Person) writes:
>>I am currently working with a person who has cerebral palsey and needs a
>>non-technical (no big surpreise..) and what I want to do is build a joystick
>>that will send the same signals as the mouse sends.

>Or...Make the joystick emulate the mouse in software.

The easiest way is to buy the Gravis Mousestick. It looks like the other
Gravis joysticks (foam covered grip, fire button on the grip, and two on
the base, tension adjustment in the base) but it includes an interface
box that goes between the stick and the computer. The Mousestick is
switchable between mouse and digital joystick modes, with lots of
options in either mode. And you can save 4 different configurations.
The Mousestick costs about $60-100 depending on where you buy it.

Personally I've found that the stick is a bit cumbersome for Workbench
use, as I tend to overshoot. But it is fantastic with mouse-based games.

Also, I've had a MicroSpeed AmTrac trackball for a couple of days, and
I'm very happy with it so far. I've hacked Wico and Atari trackballs for
the Amiga before, but their button layout was pretty cumbersome for
anything but games. The AmTrac has large buttons surrounding the ball,
so it's very easy to use. And there's a center click-and-hold button
that can be toggled between the left or right button. It runs about
$70-110.
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland  580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
blgardne@esunix.UUCP                       BIX: blaine_g

Just write a little program that tells the computer the mouse is a joystick
(don't recall the call... it's straightforward) and it automatically works!
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

chipb@FtCollins.NCR.com (Chip.Brewster) (10/15/90)

Person) writes:
> >>I am currently working with a person who has cerebral palsey and needs a
> >>non-technical (no big surpreise..) and what I want to do is build a
joystick
> >>that will send the same signals as the mouse sends.
>
> >Or...Make the joystick emulate the mouse in software.
>
> The easiest way is to buy the Gravis Mousestick. It looks like the other

Sorry if this is old information, but I missed the original posting.
The easiest (and cheapest) thing to do is get StickMouse posted to c.s.a.
It will allow you to use a joystick as a mouse without any hardware mods
(I just love the Amy).  If you missed it, let me know and I'll send a copy.

I'm also working with someone with CP and have found a trackball to be
pretty helpful.  I forget which one I have, but it isn't one of the more
expensive ones with conveniently placed buttons, smooth action, etc..
I don't think you need that for persons with limited motor control.
The most important thing is BIG buttons.  I have yet to compare the trackball
with a joystick and StickMouse.

I'm working on a project to interface a Prentke Romiche (sp?) Touch Talker
as a keyboard.  I also plan to try a Muppets Learning Keyboard from an
Apple.  They both have large pressure sensitive keys and work pretty well
for persons who have difficulty with the small keys of a regular keyboard.
The Touch Talker is a rather expensive device, but I have found that many
CP patients already have/need them.  The Muppets Keyboard is an inexpensive
device (less than $100) that you can get from many software distributors.
It works like an analog joystick, but because of port differences, will
require a simple hardware interface adapter.

I mentioned this to see if there is sufficient interest to help motivate me
to get it done.

Chip Brewster
UUCP: {ncr-sd,uunet}!ncrlnk!ncr-mpd!bach!chipb
ARPA: Chip.Brewster@FtCollins.NCR.com
USPS: NCR Microelectronics, 2001 Danfield Ct MS470A, Ft Collins, CO, 80525
BELL: (303) 223-5100 ext. 423

All you need to do to use the stick as a mouse is tell Intuition. Send a
GPD_SETCTYPE to joystick.device.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.