[comp.sys.amiga] Splitting the group

specter@disk.UUCP (Byron Max Guernsey) (10/11/90)

Why not split it into groups like... comp.sys.amiga.1000 and
comp.sys.amiga.5002000 and maybe comp.sys.amiga.general. I find it hard to
believe the number of Amiga 2000, 3000, 4000, 1500, and 500 messages there
are over the number of general messages. I like to read the 500 messages
because they are close to pertaining to my system (close no cigar) but the
3000 might as well be referring to an entirely different system. Maybe an
IBM or something!

Byron Guernsey

edp367s@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Rik Harris) (10/15/90)

specter@disk.UUCP (Byron Max Guernsey) writes:

>Why not split it into groups like... comp.sys.amiga.1000 and
>comp.sys.amiga.5002000 and maybe comp.sys.amiga.general. I find it hard to
>believe the number of Amiga 2000, 3000, 4000, 1500, and 500 messages there
>are over the number of general messages. I like to read the 500 messages
>because they are close to pertaining to my system (close no cigar) but the
>3000 might as well be referring to an entirely different system. Maybe an
>IBM or something!
no no no!!!!

if we do that, then someone will post about a wonderful new program that they
found, and just because they own a 500, they will post in the 500 group.  Which
means that we would have to read all of the groups anyway.  It is much better
to split groups into topics, rather than platforms.

People who post about games (the good ones run on all platforms anyway) won't
know where to post, and things will end up worse than they started.

(we've just received newgroups for many of the c.s.a groups that have been
discussed...what happened to official discussion and voting?????  remember
c.s.a.games???? someone's about to be castrated :-)

rik.
--
Rik Harris - edp367s@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au           | Build a system that
Faculty of Computing and Information Technology,      | even a fool can use,

gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) (10/19/90)

I think that we have had enough discussion about splitting the group,
and it is certain that there is too much traffic in each group.  I think
that we should call for a vote.  I like the bogus groups that exist right
now, with the exception of comp.sys.amiga.unix, which should be
comp.unix.amiga.  I think that we should have:

comp.unix.amiga     (Amiga UNIX stuff)
comp.os.amiga       (os related topics)
comp.sys.amiga.tech (programming, tech questions obviously 8-)
comp.sys.amiga.hardware (obvious)
comp.sys.amiga.announce (let's keep the bogus group)
comp.sys.amiga.graphics
comp.sys.amiga.sound
comp.sys.amiga.media	(multi-media, crossposting to graphics and sound
			 only where appropriate)
comp.sys.amiga.misc	(catch-all, maybe just keep c.s.a)
comp.sys.amiga.wanted

That's a lot of groups, but it will help to keep the bandwidth down,
while making it easier on those who read and post (we are after all,
the busiest group per capita 8-)

		See ya, Ralph

gilgalad@dip.eecs.umich.edu       gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu

Ralph Seguin		| "You mean THE Zaphod Beeblebrox?"
536 South Forest	|
Apartment 915		| "No.  Haven't you heard, I come in six packs!"
Ann Arbor, MI 48104	|
(313) 662-4805