[comp.sys.amiga] Uploading to abcfd20

a665@mindlink.UUCP (Anthon Pang) (10/19/90)

ianr@mullian.ee.mu.OZ.AU writes:
> [...]
> uploading illegal programs. Some of the stuff is so old that newer versions
> have appeared. Why can't somebody remove the old versions when a newer one
> supercedes it?

Some of us would love to...however, when files were moved over from xanth to
abcfd20, some of the permissions got changed.  For example, the
incoming/amiga/modula2_benchmark directory can not be written to...which is why
there's now an .../modula2_benchmarknew directory :(

ianr@mullian.ee.mu.OZ.AU (Ian ROWLANDS) (10/19/90)

	The uploading seems to be getting out of hand, apart from people
uploading illegal programs. Some of the stuff is so old that newer versions
have appeared. Why can't somebody remove the old versions when a newer one
supercedes it? Also, can we have certain progams removed if they are more
than a certain age? Fish disks 313 and 314 were uploaded when they weren't
available months ago, and THEY ARE STILL THERE! Nobody needs them, they can
get them from the site that archives fish disks. Same for fish disk 362.

	If people freely upload there, surely they can freely moderate the
material there? If you uploaded it, you should delete it when it gets old
and available elsewhere. Also check if a version already exists (i.e the
various 64 emulator versions there), and delete if it's there (and works!).
If stuff makes it onto Fish disks, then delete it as well. I can't trace
what gets uploaded, as there is so much there. I'm probably missing many
useful programs, but I can't notice them among the large volume.

	How about having a directory where a short description of each
program is put, SEPERATE from where the programs are? Having short readme
files among files only adds to the length of the directory listing. Don't
take this as the only idea - I'm just suggesting something that I think
may work, but other suggestions are welcome. Maybe Tad has some ideas?

	We now return you to Mac discussions (I'll pop over to c.s.a.tech
where they actually TALK about the Amiga, unlike here).

				Ian

Ian Rowlands                     | Work : ianr@mullian.ee.mu.oz.au
Dept. of Electrical Engineering, |     OR munnari!mullian!ianr@uunet.uu.net
 (including Computer Science)    | Home : ianr@gpark.pub.uu.oz.au (soon)