[comp.sys.amiga] Object-oriented drawing IFF spec?

nj@ucbarpa.Berkeley.EDU (Narciso Jaramillo) (10/18/90)

1. Is there an IFF format for object-oriented drawings?  The IFF registry
   in the back of the 1.3 Autodocs and Includes doesn't list one.

2. While we're on the subject, would anyone be interested in a freely
   redistributable object-oriented drawing program?  I'm thinking of
   writing one just for my own edification, mostly as a user interface
   exercise, and I haven't seen any around (except for mCAD, which is
   fairly old and doesn't have all the nifty features I'd want to
   include).  If you'd be interested, mail me a list of things you'd like
   to see in it.

3. On a completely unrelated note, I've been toying with the old QRT
   ray tracer recently.  I can't seem to get RAY2 to produce ILBM files
   that any recent IFF display program understands.  Is there a newer
   version of RAY2 around, or an old display program someone can point
   me to that will understand RAY2's output?

Please answer through email; if there's enough response, I'll
summarize to the net.  Thanks.

--
nj			nj@arpa.Berkeley.EDU		...!ucbvax!ucbarpa!nj

johno@cbmvax.commodore.com (John Orr - CATS) (10/18/90)

In article <1990Oct17.172923.16645@agate.berkeley.edu> nj@ucbarpa.Berkeley.EDU (...) writes:

>1. Is there an IFF format for object-oriented drawings?  The IFF registry
>   in the back of the 1.3 Autodocs and Includes doesn't list one.

The DR2D IFF FORM is a new FORM for describing 2D object oriented
drawings.  If all goes well, the spec for it should be in the Nov/Dec
1990 Amiga Mail.  Several commercial products are supposed to be
supporting it in the near future.

--John

fhwri%CONNCOLL.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (10/19/90)

A PD object-oriented drawing program would INDEED be welcome! ESPECIALLY if
it could save in, say PDraw or Aegis format. Even better if it would also
"create" its own standard that others would later conform to. I for one
devoutely wish there were an IFF standard for OOD...
                                                --rw
                                                fhwri@conncoll.bitnet

navas@cory.Berkeley.EDU (David C. Navas) (10/19/90)

In article <15241@cbmvax.commodore.com> johno@cbmvax.commodore.com (John Orr - CATS) writes:
>The DR2D IFF FORM is a new FORM for describing 2D object oriented
>drawings.  If all goes well, the spec for it should be in the Nov/Dec
>1990 Amiga Mail.  Several commercial products are supposed to be
>supporting it in the near future.

You know, amidst all the flames, worries, nagging and low profit margins --
it must be said that Commodore is doing a fantastic job at an extraordinary
number of tasks.  And they ought to be thanked for it as publicly as they
have been flamed.

			T H A N K   Y O U !

David Navas                                   navas@sim.berkeley.edu
"Excuse my ignorance, but I've been run over by my train of thought."  -me

jmeissen@oregon.oacis.org ( Staff OACIS) (10/20/90)

In article <28953@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> navas@cory.Berkeley.EDU writes:
>You know, amidst all the flames, worries, nagging and low profit margins --
>it must be said that Commodore is doing a fantastic job at an extraordinary
>number of tasks.  And they ought to be thanked for it as publicly as they
>have been flamed.
>
>			T H A N K   Y O U !

This sentiment conveniently echos my thought of the past couple of days.

Before Amiga, Commodore was primarily a hardware manufacturer. Now they
sell systems. There is an important difference. In addition to developing
the next generation technology, they have also had to establish similar
efforts in operating system and display (GUI) technology, third-party
developer support, integrated and verticle market solutions, customer
support for a complex machine. Although their progress hasn't been as
fast as many would like, I feel they have done remarkably well given
their financial resources, and applaud them for the work they have
accomplished.

The competition may be narrowing the gap, but I would like to thank Commodore
and Amiga (the people and the machine) for the incredible productivity they
have provided me during the last 5 years.

--
John Meissen .............................. Oregon Advanced Computing Institute
jmeissen@oacis.org        (Internet) | "That's the remarkable thing about life;