[comp.sys.amiga] NoiseTracker on GEnie

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (10/02/90)

It seems that this pirated program has made its way onto GEnie and even
AmigaWorld's PD column!

-Joseph Hillenburg

UUCP: ...iuvax!valnet!joseph
ARPA: valnet!joseph@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
INET: joseph@valnet.UUCP

n074ev@tamuts.tamu.edu (Christopher Walton) (10/03/90)

Any NOISETRACKER below version 2.1 is NOT a commercial product but PD.  Contrary to popular belief, this program is JUST now being made a commercial product,   though it has been around in one form or another since 1986 or 7.

No signature yet....

Christopher Walton   :  Internet :  n074ev@tamuts.tamu.edu

dvljhg@cs.umu.se (J|rgen Holmberg) (10/04/90)

In article <8732@helios.TAMU.EDU> n074ev@tamuts.tamu.edu (Christopher Walton) writes:
>Any NOISETRACKER below version 2.1 is NOT a commercial product but PD.  Contrary to popular belief, this program is JUST now being made a commercial product,   though it has been around in one form or another since 1986 or 7.
>

>No signature yet....
>

>Christopher Walton   :  Internet :  n074ev@tamuts.tamu.edu

I believe the company that tried to sell the widely pirated NT 2.0 doesn't
agree with that. Protracker may be PD though. I think it's up to the
legislature of different countries to decide.

Jorgen

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (10/04/90)

n074ev@tamuts.tamu.edu (Christopher Walton) writes:

> Any NOISETRACKER below version 2.1 is NOT a commercial product but PD.  Contr
>

> No signature yet....
>

> Christopher Walton   :  Internet :  n074ev@tamuts.tamu.edu

Nope. Any NoiseTracker below 2.0 is pirated. 2.1 is a commercial product.
Either way, if MED could sample, it'd make NoiseTracker look like a toy.

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) writes:

>It seems that this pirated program has made its way onto GEnie and even
>AmigaWorld's PD column!

Well, gee, maybe it's not PIRATED, then? How do you know it's pirated?
Just by what you have heard others say?

--
John Sparks         |D.I.S.K. Public Access Unix System| Multi-User Games, Email
sparks@corpane.UUCP |PH: (502) 968-DISK 24Hrs/2400BPS  | Usenet, Chatting,

cpca@iceman.jcu.oz (C Adams) (10/05/90)

In article <F3HHq4w163w@valnet>, joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) writes:
> n074ev@tamuts.tamu.edu (Christopher Walton) writes:
>
> > Any NOISETRACKER below version 2.1 is NOT a commercial product but PD.  Contr
> > Christopher Walton   :  Internet :  n074ev@tamuts.tamu.edu
>
> Nope. Any NoiseTracker below 2.0 is pirated. 2.1 is a commercial product.
> Either way, if MED could sample, it'd make NoiseTracker look like a toy.

Does anyone know of a version of MED that works under AmigaDOS 2.0?
Is it available on ftp?

Colin Adams         Life's funny but I don't laugh
Email Address -     cpca@marlin.jcu.edu.au

S36666WB%ETSUACAD.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu (Brian Wright) (10/05/90)

On 3 Oct 90 22:11:50 GMT you said:

>Nope. Any NoiseTracker below 2.0 is pirated. 2.1 is a commercial product.
>Either way, if MED could sample, it'd make NoiseTracker look like a toy.

Well, to be technical, since no one has officially said that it is or isn't PD.
How can it be pirated?   The Author of SoundTracker wrote the first and
every other tracker is just a derivitive of it, regardless of whether or not
code was stolen from it.  To draw a parallel, Spectrum Holobyte, from what I
have heard, has called all of the Tetris like clones on Fred Fish disks
infringement on look and feel.  I have also heard that those disks containing
Tetris clones are being recalled.  If the same is true of Soundtracker, then
all tracker clones are infringement on look and feel of the original.  They
are then ALL infringement on Soundtracker including MED, SoundFX and all the
other tracker clones.  What's good for one is good for the other wouldn't
you say?  So distributing ANY type of SoundTracker clone is pirating then
right?

>-Joseph Hillenburg
>
>UUCP: ...iuvax!valnet!joseph
>ARPA: valnet!joseph@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
>INET: joseph@valnet.UUCP

||To steal from one is plagiarism.  To steal from many is research.    ||
||___________________________________               ---UNKNOWN---      ||
||                                   |      / /                        ||
||---Brian Wright                    |     / /                         ||
||---s36666wb@etsuacad.etsu.edu      | \ \/ /  Only Amiga              ||
||---Commercial Artist and Amigaphile|  \/\/      Makes It Possible!!  ||

hill@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Col. Ames and Pixel) (10/05/90)

      MED uses CIA A to time the music. Now what in 2.0 is using that timer?
And why in <2.0 does the system not care?? And is there anyway in general to
"ignore" a green requestor??

--
 adam hill                                   Everybody lies about sex.
 hill@evax.arl.utexas.edu    BOING!4Ever     Rub HER feet!

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (10/08/90)

sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:

> joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) writes:
>
> >It seems that this pirated program has made its way onto GEnie and even
> >AmigaWorld's PD column!
>
> Well, gee, maybe it's not PIRATED, then? How do you know it's pirated?
> Just by what you have heard others say?
>

> --
> John Sparks         |D.I.S.K. Public Access Unix System| Multi-User Games, Em
> sparks@corpane.UUCP |PH: (502) 968-DISK 24Hrs/2400BPS  | Usenet, Chatting,
> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-|7 line Multi-User system.         | Downloads & more.
> A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of----Ogden Nash

Well, I've seen both NoiseTracker and SoundTracker and they look almost
identical. Since the copy the original SoundTracker was a lot different,
and then thepirated copies look like NoiseTracker, it kinda makes
youwonder.

-Joseph Hillenburg

UUCP: ...iuvax!valnet!joseph
ARPA: valnet!joseph@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
INET: joseph@valnet.UUCP

wchan@umd5.umd.edu (Winthrop D Chan) (10/09/90)

Hi, I am trying to find any site or person that has technical information on
the SoundTracker/NoiseTracker files. If source code exists, I'll take that
also. It seems as though the modules are getting popular on other computers
and many people of written programs to play them back on the other machines.
I am trying to do the same, but I have no amiga and no information on the
modules and samples that the noisetracker makes.

Any help is appreciated. Please send Email since I do not normally receive
this newsgroup.

Winthrop Chan
  <------- ____                This is how most Computer Science majors look
   &&&    /    \  __ _____,    after staying up all night for a few weeks
     `-- |  o   \'  `  &&/     and living off of vending machine food.
        `|      | o  },-'
          \____( )__/          Winthrop Desmond Chan
          ,'    \'   \
  /~~~~~~|.      |   .}~~~\    producer@cscwam.umd.edu    producer@eng.umd.edu
   ,-----( .     |   .}--.
         | .    /\___/         wchan@umd5.umd.edu         wchan@linus.umd.edu
          `----^,\ \           wchan@snoopy.umd.edu       wchan@umdd.umd.edu
                 \_ |  ACK!
Disclaimer : "My employeer is not responsible for what I do or say here"

ceej@pawl.rpi.edu (Chris J Hillery) (10/09/90)

sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:

>joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) writes:

>>It seems that this pirated program has made its way onto GEnie and even
>>AmigaWorld's PD column!

>Well, gee, maybe it's not PIRATED, then? How do you know it's pirated?
>Just by what you have heard others say?

I think that's exactly what Joseph was trying to say. I think you missed
the sarcasm...

>--
>John Sparks         |D.I.S.K. Public Access Unix System|Multi-User Games, Email
>sparks@corpane.UUCP |PH: (502) 968-DISK 24Hrs/2400BPS  | Usenet, Chatting,
>=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-|7 line Multi-User system.         | Downloads & more.
>A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of----Ogden Nash

Ceej
aka Chris Hillery
ceej@pawl.rpi.edu

usenet@helios.TAMU.EDU (Usenet Account) (10/10/90)

From: n074ev@tamuts.tamu.edu (Christopher Walton)

In ABSOLUTE truth, no one would have had Noisetracker, if someone had not
stolen SoundTracker from Karsten Obarski back in 86 or so...   Some people
heard that he had made a music maker and broke in to his house, stoll all
of his disks, then mailed them all back, minus SoundTracker 1.0. (A really
crap program by todays standards, but look what has mutated from it!)
By the way, Mahoney and Kactus DID get permission to publish NoiseTracker
from Karsten, since he was the guy who originated the idea!  I think mabey
they might have given him some money as well!

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) writes:
>> Well, gee, maybe it's not PIRATED, then? How do you know it's pirated?
>> Just by what you have heard others say?

>Well, I've seen both NoiseTracker and SoundTracker and they look almost
>identical. Since the copy the original SoundTracker was a lot different,
>and then thepirated copies look like NoiseTracker, it kinda makes
>youwonder.

You might wonder, but you claimed it as FACT. quite a bit of difference.
I am still up in the air about the facts of soundtracker and noisetracker
being commercial or freely distributable. I see a lot of people CLAIM that
they are commercial, but I see no proof. But from reading the doc files
that come with the programs, I do see evidence that they are freely
distributable. does anyone have any proof one way or the other, rather
than just rumors and hearsay? I am really interested in this.

What's the real story?

--

usenet@helios.TAMU.EDU (Usenet Account) writes:

|From: n074ev@tamuts.tamu.edu (Christopher Walton)

|In ABSOLUTE truth, no one would have had Noisetracker, if someone had not
|stolen SoundTracker from Karsten Obarski back in 86 or so...   Some people
|heard that he had made a music maker and broke in to his house, stoll all
|of his disks, then mailed them all back, minus SoundTracker 1.0. (A really
|crap program by todays standards, but look what has mutated from it!)
|By the way, Mahoney and Kactus DID get permission to publish NoiseTracker
|from Karsten, since he was the guy who originated the idea!  I think mabey
|they might have given him some money as well!

So, noisetracker IS legal then? Hmmm..? Is this first hand knowledge or
more rumors? If this is just hear-say, then it's no better than the stuff
people have been spouting that 'noisetracker is pirated'.

I just want to know the facts about Noisetracker and Soundtracker. There
has been so much crap floating around about these programs.

--

dvljhg@cs.umu.se (J|rgen Holmberg) (10/19/90)

In article <3388@corpane.UUCP> sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:
>usenet@helios.TAMU.EDU (Usenet Account) writes:
>
>|From: n074ev@tamuts.tamu.edu (Christopher Walton)
>
>|In ABSOLUTE truth, no one would have had Noisetracker, if someone had not
>|stolen SoundTracker from Karsten Obarski back in 86 or so...   Some people
>|heard that he had made a music maker and broke in to his house, stoll all
>|of his disks, then mailed them all back, minus SoundTracker 1.0. (A really
>|crap program by todays standards, but look what has mutated from it!)
>|By the way, Mahoney and Kactus DID get permission to publish NoiseTracker
>|from Karsten, since he was the guy who originated the idea!  I think mabey
>|they might have given him some money as well!
>
>So, noisetracker IS legal then? Hmmm..? Is this first hand knowledge or
>more rumors? If this is just hear-say, then it's no better than the stuff
>people have been spouting that 'noisetracker is pirated'.

This is what I was told by Kaktus at the easter conference in Gothenburg.

Jorgen

>I just want to know the facts about Noisetracker and Soundtracker. There
>has been so much crap floating around about these programs.
>
>--
>John Sparks         |D.I.S.K. Public Access Unix System| Multi-User Games, Email
>sparks@corpane.UUCP |PH: (502) 968-DISK 24Hrs/2400BPS  | Usenet, Chatting,
>=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-|7 line Multi-User system.         | Downloads & more.
>A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of----Ogden Nash

n074ev@tamuts.tamu.edu (Christopher Walton) (10/20/90)

A FACT!

  Christopher Walton                  :    n07ev@tamuts.tamu.edu