[comp.sys.amiga] Program Wanted

AAW151%URIACC.BITNET@brownvm.brown.edu (Andy Patrizio) (10/05/90)

A few months ago there was a program mentioned in Computer Shopper's Amiga colu
mn. It was a program to calculate astrological charts. The author said she down
loaded it from somewhere, but did not SAY WHERE.

If this program is available somewhere on the net, please let me know, as I am
interested in it.

---
Andy Patrizio              Bitnet: aaw151@uriacc.bitnet
B100C Ellery               Internet: aaw151%uriacc.uri.edu@brownvm.brown.edu
URI                        Usenet:  simon@sbs.bbs.com
Kingston, RI 02881         or... uunet!rayssd!idsvax!andypo @ idsvax.ids.com
(401) 782-2758
---
{
    NeXT := (Mac + Amiga) * (steroids)^2;
}
---

ferg@pnet01.cts.com (John Ferguson) (10/19/90)

Does anyone know of a program that will search a directory of files and
report back to you the filename of all files that contain a specified
string?
                                  | _
             John P. Ferguson  ---*(_)MicroMiga Company & BBS

                US Mail: P.O. Box 2104, La Mesa CA,  92044
               Voice: (619) 670-3161  Modem: (619) 670-1095
        ARPA: crash!pnet01!ferg@nosc.mil  INET: ferg@pnet01.cts.com

                    -=[  In Stereo Where Available  ]=-

In article <5116@crash.cts.com> ferg@pnet01.cts.com (John Ferguson) writes:
>Does anyone know of a program that will search a directory of files and
>report back to you the filename of all files that contain a specified
>string?

It's in there! Look at    c:search
The only caveat may be that this gives you perhaps more than you
want, not only the filenames. But these could probably gained with
a smart script file that invokes search with an output redirection
to ram:foo and then lets Edit filter this output for the informations
you really want. Should be manageable with provided tools.

UH2@psuvm.psu.edu (Lee Sailer) (10/20/90)

In article <5116@crash.cts.com>, ferg@pnet01.cts.com (John Ferguson) says:

>Does anyone know of a program that will search a directory of files and
>report back to you the filename of all files that contain a specified
>string?

Doesn't SEARCH in the C: directory do this?  Or does SEARCH only
come with ARP.  I Forget.  There is also an excelllent, fast, PD
implementation of Unix's grep (global regular-expression print)
program.  I could send it to you if you like.  It was postd to comp.source.
amiga a while back.  It is from the GNU folk.

                                             lee

abrown@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM (Allen Brown) (10/20/90)

> Does anyone know of a program that will search a directory of files
> and report back to you the filename of all files that contain a
> specified string?
>             John P. Ferguson  ---*(_)MicroMiga Company & BBS

grep

The best version is the one from the GNU project.  But several
versions have been ported and are available on the Fish disks.

Or if your wallet is feeling heavy, you can probably find a commercial
port somewhere.  :->

BTW, grep originated from Unix.
--
  Allen Brown  abrown@cv.hp.com or abrown%hpcvca@hplabs.hp.com