[comp.sys.amiga] New Macs

ali@rocky.UUCP (03/03/87)

[]

Well, the new Macs were announced today...

Macintosh II, $5500, comes with SIX slots, OPTIONAL with color boards,
  OPTIONAL networking capability, OPTIONAL MS-DOS compatibility,
  and Unix System V port end of summer. (I thought for $40000 you were
  going to get COLOR. Well rumors do lie.)

Macintosh SE, Price ?, comes with ONE slot and hard disk.

Oh well, neither fits what I consider will be my next computer:

1. Powerful enough to emulate an Amiga 1000 in real time
2. Offers something more than the Amiga 1000
3. Is multitasking
4. Costs <$2000.
5. Wins my heart

What computer fulfills all of the above points? Well, the A2000 of course.
Looks like my next computer will be an Amiga 2000!

(Of course, I never doubted that. In fact, I don't think Apple could
ever fulfill point 5 above. Commodore always has, with the 4k Pet,
the C64, and the Amiga. (So I am biased, ok!))

Ali Ozer, ali@rocky.stanford.edu OR ali@score.stanford.edu
          I finally have another path: ...!decwrl!rocky.stanford.edu!ali

ali@rocky.UUCP (03/03/87)

In article <148@rocky.STANFORD.EDU> I (the silly me) wrote:
>  and Unix System V port end of summer. (I thought for $40000 you were
                                                         ^^^^^
Oops, one extra zero here...

Also I should point out that the views expressed in my prev message are
not those of Stanford University. Unfortunately. But I'm working on it.

Ali Ozer

dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU.UUCP (03/04/87)

	The new Mac's look nice, if a bit overpriced.  But since they don't
support full multi-tasking, Apple's *Bang* Sounds more like a feeble *pop*.
Frankly, I don't see the use of having a machine with the capacity for
MegaBytes of RAM if it can only run one application at a time (you can only
do so much with desk accessories).

					-Matt

mwm@eris.UUCP (03/04/87)

In article <148@rocky.STANFORD.EDU> ali@rocky.ARPA (Ali Ozer) writes:
>Macintosh II, $5500, comes with SIX slots, OPTIONAL with color boards,
>  OPTIONAL networking capability, OPTIONAL MS-DOS compatibility,
>  and Unix System V port end of summer. (I thought for $40000 you were
>  going to get COLOR. Well rumors do lie.)

We got the consortium price (didn't Stanford?): $3k, $4k with hd, but
you still have to buy a monitor and keyboard. Two advantages over a
turbo amiga: builtin scuzzy, and 16MHz 68020 instead of 14+.

Max memory is 8.5Meg (sound familiar?). First color option gets you 16
out of 16Meg of colors; extended version gets you 256 out of the same
No HAM mentioned.

>Macintosh SE, Price ?, comes with ONE slot and hard disk.

The consortium price is $180 ($2300 with hd). Note that the SE has
some magic mac-bus, but the Mac ][ has a Nu-Bus Isn't comptability a
wonderful thing?

Unless you really nead that big pallet on the ][, or want to run their
SysV/Finder/4BSD hybrid, the A2000 looks like a better machine (at a
better price) than either of the new Macs. Nuts, the A1000 looks like
better machine.

I expect them to sell a lot of New Macs, anyway.

	<mike

But I'll survive, no you won't catch me,		Mike Meyer
I'll resist the urge that is tempting me,		ucbvax!mwm
I'll avert my eyes, keep you off my knee,		mwm@berkeley.edu
But it feels so good when you talk to me.		mwm@ucbjade.BITNET

mwm@eris.UUCP (03/04/87)

In article <2673@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> mwm@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Mike (No one lives forever.) Meyer) writes:
>>Macintosh SE, Price ?, comes with ONE slot and hard disk.
>
>The consortium price is $180 ($2300 with hd). Note that the SE has

Sigh. Here's where ali's extra 0 came from. Price is $1800, not $180.

	<mike

But I'll survive, no you won't catch me,		Mike Meyer
I'll resist the urge that is tempting me,		ucbvax!mwm
I'll avert my eyes, keep you off my knee,		mwm@berkeley.edu
But it feels so good when you talk to me.		mwm@ucbjade.BITNET

cb29#@andrew.cmu.edu.UUCP (03/04/87)

Mike -

	How can you say the Amiga 1000 (or even the 2000) is a better
machine?!?
The Mac II moves almost 4 times as fast!  They can put a software coded,
multi-tasking op-system in there and it'll still run 2 to 3 times as fast.

	Oh when is the A3000 going to come out with a real 68020?

			-- Chad

Who needs an address anyway (-:

dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU.UUCP (03/05/87)

>Mike -
>
>	How can you say the Amiga 1000 (or even the 2000) is a better
>machine?!?
>The Mac II moves almost 4 times as fast!  They can put a software coded,
>multi-tasking op-system in there and it'll still run 2 to 3 times as fast.
>
>	Oh when is the A3000 going to come out with a real 68020?
>
>			-- Chad
>
>Who needs an address anyway (-:

	From what I hear, the Mac II is 4 times faster than the Mac+. The Mac+
is about half as fast as the Amiga due to video refresh.  Thus, the Mac II is
only twice as fast as a vanila Amiga.

	Since 68020's are available for the standard Amiga 1000, and I note
here that an Amiga system with a 68020 board + Megs of Ram STILL would cost
*much* LESS than a Mac II, such an Amiga would run at least on par with the
Mac II in terms of processor speed.

	They can put a software coded multi-tasking system in there all
right... If they redesign the operating system.

					-Matt

nick@utcsscb.UUCP (03/06/87)

In article <8703032126.AA15825@cory.Berkeley.EDU> dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU.UUCP writes:

>	The new Mac's look nice, if a bit overpriced.  But since they don't
>support full multi-tasking, Apple's *Bang* Sounds more like a feeble *pop*.
>Frankly, I don't see the use of having a machine with the capacity for
>MegaBytes of RAM if it can only run one application at a time (you can only
>do so much with desk accessories).
>
>					-Matt

	I always thought that Unix offered full multitasking. Admittly that
is not the primary OS coming with the machine anybody putting the full 8megs
of ram onto the motherboard or even going all the way to 2gigabytes of memory
will want Unix.

	Nick

daveh@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (03/06/87)

> Mike -
>
> 	How can you say the Amiga 1000 (or even the 2000) is a better
> machine?!?
> The Mac II moves almost 4 times as fast!  They can put a software coded,
> multi-tasking op-system in there and it'll still run 2 to 3 times as fast.
>
> 	Oh when is the A3000 going to come out with a real 68020?
>
> 			-- Chad

Better is a relative term -- a Mac II _might_ very well be 4 times faster,
but its probably also 4-6 times more expensive.  And its not out yet, so
I certainly can't tell you if its that much better than an A1000 or A2000
(and you can tell from my signature that I'd be totally unbiased in my
evaluation, had I a Mac II on my desk now).  As is, my Amiga 1000 at home
or Amiga 2000 at work can do work faster overall than any currently existing
MacIntosh.  And I could get up early tomorrow (yea, right), call CSA, and
order a 68020 board and some mighty-fast 32 bit memory.  Now, today, with a
year-1/2 old A1000, or a real cheap A500 even.  And the A1000's OS, as is,
will work just dandy with that 68020, maybe 4 times faster, with its
currently existing multitasking, real time, message passing, etc. OS.
Meanwhile, you're waiting for a Mac II, which you probably can't get 'till
the summer, which will cost you much more, and will still only do one thing
at a time (certainly fast) until you fork out additional geeters for UNIX or
some similar OS.  And then you still won't be real-time and message passing,
so the Amiga concept of small, fast tasks (that, really, can hurt each
other if you let them) passes you by.  I'm sure the Mac II will do well,
especially with UNIX, as a replacement for something like a Sun-2 or
Sun-3 (heck, a stock Mac or Amiga isn't much slower, CPU-wise, than a
Sun-2).  And the A2000 will do well too.  Or I'm gonna break some bones! :-)

                                   __  ____    ____    _____   _____   _____
Dave Haynie                       /// / _  |  / __ \  /  _  \ /  _  \ /  _  \
Commodore Technology             /// / / | | /_/  | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
                            |\  /// / /__| |  ____/ | | | | | | | | | | | | |
                            |\\/// / ____  | / ____/  | | | | | | | | | | | |
                             \\// / /    | | | |____  | |_| | | |_| | | |_| |
{ihnp4,etc.}!cbmvax!daveh     \/ /_/     |_| \______| \_____/ \_____/ \_____/

billd@crash.CTS.COM (Bill D'Camp) (03/07/87)

In article <MS.V3.18.cb29.80021115.gettysburg.ibm032.131.0@andrew.cmu.edu> cb29#@andrew.cmu.edu (Chad Kavanaugh Bisk) writes:
>Mike -
>
>	How can you say the Amiga 1000 (or even the 2000) is a better
>machine?!?
>The Mac II moves almost 4 times as fast!  They can put a software coded,
>multi-tasking op-system in there and it'll still run 2 to 3 times as fast.
>
>	Oh when is the A3000 going to come out with a real 68020?
>
>			-- Chad
Yeah, and only pay four times as much, the bare bones Mac II is supposed to
start at $4800 without monitor or hard disk.  What a bargain!

I hope this doesn't start a "my currently nonexistent machine is better
than your currently nonexistent machine" war.

--
    _   /|
    \`o_O'

(serious self-portrait?)

Opinion?  I thought you said onions.

UUCP:	{akqua,hplabs!hp-sdd,sdcsvax,nosc}crash!billd
ARPA:	crash!billd@nosc
INET:	billd@crash.CTS.COM

lsr@apple.UUCP (Larry Rosenstein) (03/07/87)

In article <8703051939.AA24035@cory.Berkeley.EDU> dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:
>	From what I hear, the Mac II is 4 times faster than the Mac+. The Mac+
>is about half as fast as the Amiga due to video refresh.  Thus, the Mac II is
>only twice as fast as a vanila Amiga.

I doubt that an Amiga is twice as fast as a Mac Plus; 20% is more like it.
(The Mac SE, which has improved video hardware is about 20% faster than a
Mac Plus, and I assume that a Mac SE and Amiga are comartouli vai!hair

stergios@rocky.UUCP (03/07/87)

In article <516@apple.UUCP> lsr@apple.UUCP (Larry Rosenstein) writes:
>I doubt that an Amiga is twice as fast as a Mac Plus; 20% is more like it.
>(The Mac SE, which has improved video hardware is about 20% faster than a
>Mac Plus, and I assume that a Mac SE and Amiga are comparable.)
>
>Larry

Well, you may have your doubts, but I have the facts.  My expert system
shell can fire rules at a rate of ~140/sec on the amiga, while only
capable of 76 rules/sec on the Mac.  The way I count, that looks
like twice as fast to me.

Heres some other machine statistics;

Vax 785 (ultrix) ~410 r/s
Vax 785 (VMS)	 ~450 r/s
hp9000		 ~335 r/s
iBmaT		 ~ 85 r/s

I guess at this point I must make the usuall disclaimer about different
machines and different compilers do not make good bed mates for bench marks!
But, on the Amiga and the Mac both compilations where performed using the
Manx compiler.

Stergios Marinopoulos
S&M Engineering

--
% UUCP:	{ lll-crg, seismo, sun } !rocky!stergios			%
% ARPA:				 f.flex@othello.stanford.edu		%

>	I always thought that Unix offered full multitasking. Admittly that
>is not the primary OS coming with the machine anybody putting the full 8megs
>of ram onto the motherboard or even going all the way to 2gigabytes of memory
>will want Unix.
>
>	Nick

	I will rephrase my statement: The Macintosh Operating System on the
Mac II will not support full multitasking.   Frankly I don't see much use
in putting 16Meg on the machine unless you plan to run UNIX on it.

	In fact, 16Meg is all you can stick in a Mac II... not 2 gig.  (This
is not a flame.  After all, the Amiga's max is 8Meg).  Never assume you have
the entire address space of the processor to work with.  In many cases, an
address space is split up into several sections.  VAXen for instance split
Their 32 bit address space into four quarters (with the last one reserved by
DEC).  The Amiga utilizes some amount of it's address space for ROM,
Co-processor/IO, and external cards. xxxUnihoutho

rar@auc.UUCP (03/11/87)

In article <8703081002.AA13809@cory.Berkeley.EDU> dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:
>	In fact, 16Meg is all you can stick in a Mac II... not 2 gig.  (This
>is not a flame.  After all, the Amiga's max is 8Meg).

Hold on a second.  Yes, in a standard Amiga 1000, only about 8.5 Meg is left
available for RAM, but this limit is only because of the 68000 processor.
When a 68020 is used, the address range of the Amiga expands to approximately
4 gig minus 7.5 meg.  This is the true limit of the Amiga Exec's addressing
capabilities.  Thus, the Amiga system can access up to approximately 3.993 gig
of RAM.  Actually, its 4 gig, minus what is used for ROM, I/O devices, etc.

> ....  The Amiga utilizes some amount of it's address space for ROM,
>Co-processor/IO, and external cards.
>

>			-Matt
                                    Rodney

[ Next: A cute disclaimer ]
Since I do not have any connections with Commodore (other than owning an Amiga,
and a two Commodore 64's before it, and convincing several people to buy
Amigas and ... well, you get the point ) the above information is subject to
several abberations, like, for example, being completely wrong.

NO WARRANTY EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED

Rodney Ricks,
  Atlanta University Center Computation Center

AAW151%URIACC.BITNET@brownvm.brown.edu (Andy Patrizio) (10/16/90)

Richard Alan Gerber <ragg0270@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> says:
OK. Here's what I saw on the news wire:

Mac Classic $999. 9-in BW screen. 68000 processor.

Mac LC $3,098. 68020 processor. 2 Meg RAM. Hard Disk. Color capabilities.

Mac IIsi. $3,769. 68030 processor. 2 Meg RAM. 80 Meg HD.

The Mac Classic is a 2 meg RAM/40 MB HD system, and the keyboard is included.
That is suggested list. Retail will be much lower, and Ed. Disc. will be
even lower, no doubt.

The LC will come with a monitor for that price, and have a card inside to
emulate Apple II software. So you get 2 computers for the price of one,
and at a good price at that.

Like I said earlier, the only thing I see as being good about these machines
is that they might be the thing to light a fire under CBM.

---
Andy Patrizio              Bitnet: aaw151@uriacc.bitnet
B100C Ellery               Internet: aaw151%uriacc.uri.edu@brownvm.brown.edu
URI                        Usenet:  simon@sbs.bbs.com
Kingston, RI 02881         or... uunet!rayssd!idsvax!andypo @ idsvax.ids.com
(401) 782-2758
---
rip_off()
{
    NeXT = (Amiga * steroids) + $6000;
}
---

pmorris@bbn.com (Phil Morris) (10/16/90)

Seen in InfoWorld:

		Mac Classic		Mac LC		Mac IIsi
proc:		68000@7.8336MHz		68020@16MHz	68030@20MHz, PMMU

video:		mono, 9-inch		8-bit onboard	8-bit onboard

sound:		output only		in & out	in & out

ram:		2Mb to 4Mb		2Mb to 10Mb	1Mb to 17Mb

expansion:	none			020 Direct	030 Direct or
							Nubus (adapter must
							be purchased)

storage:	optional 40Mb		40Mb		40Mb or 80Mb

availability:	Now			Jan, 91		Now

price:		for 2Mb/no drive:	2Mb/40Mb drv:	2Mb/40Mb drive:
			$999		$2499		$3769
		for 2Mb/40Mb drive:
			$1499

Note that the LC and IIsi need a monitor:

Monochrome (12"):	$299
RGB (12"):		$599
High-res RGB (12"?):	$999

so a complete LC goes from:	$2798 to $3498
and a complete IIsi goes from:	$4068 to $4768

Also, the LC comes equipped with an Apple IIe emulator and it can run almost
all apps for the IIe.

Note that all prices are list.  No educational pricing was mentioned in the
article.

-Phil

--------
Phil Morris (pmorris@dgi0.bbn.com)
Disclaimer: ME? I'm only a non-smoking cat; can't believe a word I meow.

torrie@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Evan James Torrie) (10/16/90)

pmorris@bbn.com (Phil Morris) writes:

>Seen in InfoWorld:
>Note that all prices are list.  No educational pricing was mentioned in the
>article.

  The Stanford Bookstore lists the Macintosh LC at approx $1600 available
11-15-90.  This includes 2Mb RAM, 40Mb hard disk, keyboard, mouse,
microphone and built-in video.

  An interesting sidepoint is that you can add a 512K VRAM kit to the LC to get
up to 32000 colours on screen on the 12" monitor.

Evan Torrie.  Stanford University, Class of 199?       torrie@cs.stanford.edu
"The All Blacks?  Who are they? - some plebian

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (10/19/90)

The Mac LC doesn't come with the //e emulator...Apple doesn't plan on
releasing it until March of '91.

This stuff is getting *real* boring...

Sean

  UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc       | B^) VISION  GRAPHICS B^)
  ARPA: !crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc@nosc.mil |     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  INET: seanc@pro-party.cts.com                | Dual A3000 based, custom
                                Help keep the  |    computer graphics,
  RealWorld: Sean Cunningham    competition // | animation, presentation,
      Voice: (512) 994-1602         under \X/  |  simulation,  accident-
                                               |  scene re-creation, and
  ...better life through creative computing... |   recreation...(whew!)

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (10/20/90)

yeah. I'd rather talk about a *real* computer than a Mac. :)

-Joseph Hillenburg

UUCP: ...iuvax!valnet!joseph
ARPA: valnet!joseph@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
INET: joseph@valnet.UUCP