[comp.sys.amiga] comm programs

greg@turbo.atl.ga.us (Greg Montgomery) (08/14/90)

I'm looking for a comm program for my friend's Amiga 500. ANSI emulation
and X/Y/Zmodem are neccesary. A few stores have recommended Atalk and
Online. Any comments on these programs?? Also, how is background d/ling
on an Amiga 500 at 2400??
Please reply via E-mail only.

Thanks..

Greg
----
Greg Montgomery        Internet:  greg@turbo.atl.ga.us
                   UUCP (smart):  greg@turbo.UUCP
                   UUCP (route):  {rutgers,ogcise,gatech}!emory!turbo!greg

Fred.Penner@f70.n140.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Fred Penner) (08/22/90)

     Well, I have an A500, I've used JRComm, and NComm. Bot have
Z,Y,X-modem transfer's. And they seem to work great at 2400. And have
the auto redial. Both are great and support ANSI. I recomend NComm
though. JRComm loves to gobble up memory in 16 color mode, and NComm
seems to use only about 200k. It's great, and both are PD. Try them out.
Talk to you later. Bye for now.

FredPenner

--
Fred Penner - via FidoNet node 1:140/22
UUCP: ...!alberta!herald!weyr!70!Fred.Penner

jprad@faatcrl.UUCP (Jack Radigan) (08/27/90)

Fred.Penner@f70.n140.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Fred Penner) writes:

>     Well, I have an A500, I've used JRComm, and NComm. Bot have
>Z,Y,X-modem transfer's. And they seem to work great at 2400. And have
>the auto redial. Both are great and support ANSI. I recomend NComm
>though. JRComm loves to gobble up memory in 16 color mode, and NComm
>seems to use only about 200k. It's great, and both are PD. Try them out.
>Talk to you later. Bye for now.

Both are *not* PD.  One is shareware the other is "giftware", got it?

  -jack-

Fred.Penner@f70.n140.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Fred Penner) (08/31/90)

     I appologize for the mise typing. But the JRComm version I have is
a beta test version. I just assumed that it was PD. Sorry about that...
And, BTW, what is giftware? I haven't heard of that one befor. I'm kinda
new at this stuff, so I just give people things that I know. And one
last question. In JRComm, when the ANSI command is a flashing color
character, is it supose to come out italics? Is there any way that we
can display those flashing characters? Well, thanks for the help, talk
to you later... Bye.

 Fred Penner

--
Fred Penner - via FidoNet node 1:140/22
UUCP: ...!alberta!herald!weyr!70!Fred.Penner
Domain: Fred.Penner@f70.n140.z1.FIDONET.ORG
Standard Disclaimers Apply...

vic@trix.ai.mit.edu (Vic Ricker) (09/06/90)

I wouldn't recomend JRCOMM 1.0 to anyone.  It's very unstable.  If
someone could tell me how to turn off the "GURU AT UNPROVOKED RANDOM
INTERVAL" function...  :-)

I will give it one thing.  It's Zmodem is good.  BUT not enough to
outweigh all of its shortcomings.  It's sad to see a program with such
potential released with so many bugs.

-Vic

itch@cbnews.att.com (richard.m.brack) (09/08/90)

Speaking of comm programs, I have been using NComm.  I have used
VT100 and VLT but NComm is much better than those IMHO.  But I have
one _problem_.  When I use it to log on at work, the UNIX machine
doesn't know what kind of terminal I'm using, so I tell it VT100.
This just doesn't work.  VI is all screwed up.  Lines longer than
80 chars go off the right side of the screen into the abyss, and I
constantly have to use <ctrl-l> to repaint the screen so I can
see my changes.  The other TERMs I have tried are 4425, 630-24,
and hp2621.  None of these work right either.

Can someone please tell me what the term type is for NComm,
or if you suspect I have options set wrong in NComm what do you
think I should set them to?

Please help me!

RichBrack
--
{ the itchman cometh   /-/         _          i don't want to be your angel }
{ itch@cbnews.att.com /-/        _|_|_          i want to be your witch!    }

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (09/09/90)

My experience with NComm has been bad. Here are the faults I found with
it:

1) It doesn't have many options, like JR-Comm. JR-Comm is full of
   options, and that makes it very useful. I'd rather have my terminal
   set up my way, instead of the way the author wants it.

2) It's based on Comm. That alone speaks for itself.

3) Doesn't recogne XPR's properly. Sure, it accepts xprzmodem right, but
   I added xprkermit.library, and it wouldn't take it. The program wasn't
   even aware of it!

4) It's scripts are nonstandard. With VLT using ARexx, and ARexx possibly
   coming soon for JR-Comm, that makes those two programs far more useful
   than NComm.

5) It can only support 44 phone entries. JR-Comm supports am infinite
   number of entries, only limited by RAM, and VLT also does, using
   macros, but I can't get use to it. (Although this make the program
   VERY flexible.

 -Joseph Hillenburg (Sultan of Asm)
INET: joseph@valnet.uucp            |MAIL: 1709 West Gray
UUCP: ...!iuvax!valnet!joseph       |MAIL: Bloomington, IN 47401
AT&T: 1-812-336-2969                |MAIL: United States
CompSci BBS: 3/12/24 1-812-876-4407 9:30 pm-7:30 am |Mail replies requested
              Those aren't bugs! Just undesirable features!
n't bugs! Just undesirable features!

C506634@UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU (Eric Edwards) (09/10/90)

In Message-ID: <am67o1w163w@valnet>
          joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) said:
>My experience with NComm has been bad. Here are the faults I found with
>it:
>
>1) It doesn't have many options, like JR-Comm. JR-Comm is full of
>   options, and that makes it very useful. I'd rather have my terminal
>   set up my way, instead of the way the author wants it.
Options are nice but I usually don't worry about options until I'm sure it
will do what I need.
>2) It's based on Comm. That alone speaks for itself.
 Does it?  Can you explain this?  Access! is based on comm and it has the
the most intuitive user interface I've ever seen on a comm program.  Much
better than either Ncomm or JR-COMM.
>3) Doesn't recogne XPR's properly. Sure, it accepts xprzmodem right, but
>   I added xprkermit.library, and it wouldn't take it. The program wasn't
>   even aware of it!
True and that's one of the main reasons I don't use it.  But at least it has
SOME support for XPR.  Many programs, including JR-COMM don't.
>4) It's scripts are nonstandard. With VLT using ARexx, and ARexx possibly
>   coming soon for JR-Comm, that makes those two programs far more useful
>   than NComm.
There's no such thing as standard scripts.  Fault it for lack of Arexx support.
At least it HAS a scripting language (and a rather nice one if I may add).
Jr-Comm doesn't have any in the current version.  What it may have in the
future is irrelevent.  For all you and I know, Ncomm may get Arexx before
JR-COMM.

 5) It can only support 44 phone entries. JR-Comm supports am infinite
>   number of entries, only limited by RAM, and VLT also does, using
>   macros, but I can't get use to it. (Although this make the program
>   VERY flexible.
Actually, VLT supports exactly zero entries in it's phone book.  It doesn't
have one.  Since it supports Arexx you can write your own phonebook function
which is a nice thing to have.  But to say it has a phone book that supports
an infinate number of entries is untrue.

Eric Edwards: c506634 @    "The 3090.  Proof that by applying state of the
Inet: umcvmb.missouri.edu   art technology to an obsolete architecture,
Bitnet: umcvmb.bitnet       one can achieve mediocre performance."

wfh58@leah.Albany.Edu (William F. Hammond) (09/11/90)

In article <900909.201502.CDT.C506634@UMCVMB> C506634@UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU (Eric Edwards) writes:
> . . .
>Actually, VLT supports exactly zero entries in it's phone book.  It doesn't
>have one.  Since it supports Arexx you can write your own phonebook function
>which is a nice thing to have.  But to say it has a phone book that supports
>an infinate number of entries is untrue.
>
>Eric Edwards: c506634 @    "The 3090.  Proof that by applying state of the
>Inet: umcvmb.missouri.edu   art technology to an obsolete architecture,
>Bitnet: umcvmb.bitnet       one can achieve mediocre performance."

Well, it *is* true that VLT provides for an unbounded (not the
same as infinite -- and, more properly, one should say bounded only by
memory) list of automated logins.

Of course, anyone who reads the net is capable of figuring from the doc
how to write an automated login script.  But not all of us have the time,
and for most an example will suffice.  Mind you, it needs to be configured
to the cues that each particular board provides.  In "\r" (for carriage
return) the '\' is the ARP escape (an environmental).  Remember the rule
never to put a password in a script.  Note this example is a "VLT macro"
that is *not* an ARexx macro.

This example is for a hypothetical board named "Wanda" so I might want to
name it "wanda.scp" and keep it in "REXX:".  Then I would either select it
from VLT's macros menu or *start VLT* with the syntax.

arun dh9:vlt wanda.scp NOIO

(which I might alias to "wanda")
                                (cut here)
alpha:
send "ATDT4155551212\R"
on "BUSY" goto beta
wait "Hit RETURN"
send "\R"
wait "last name:"
send "alfred e neuman\R"
wait "password:"
send "drowssap\R"
wait "[Q]uit:"
send "\R"
on "Please hit RETURN:" send "\R"
wait "Main Command"
exit quiet
beta:
delay 20
goto alpha
William F. Hammond                   Dept. of Mathematics & Statistics
518-442-4625                         SUNYA, Albany, NY 12222
hammond@leah.albany.edu              wfh58@albnyvms.bitnet

FVEST@DUCVAX.AUBURN.EDU (Floyd Vest) (09/15/90)

"richard.m.brack" <itch@cbnews.att.com> wrote:
>Speaking of comm programs, I have been using NComm.  I have used
>VT100 and VLT but NComm is much better than those IMHO.  But I have
>one _problem_.  When I use it to log on at work, the UNIX machine
>doesn't know what kind of terminal I'm using, so I tell it VT100.

>Can someone please tell me what the term type is for NComm,
>or if you suspect I have options set wrong in NComm what do you
>think I should set them to?

Is there a setting for Brain-damaged VT100? :-)

It is *supposed* to be VT100, but as you have discovered, it has problems
with full-screen applications.

Maybe next release...

--
Floyd Vest     Auburn University      ##### fvest@ducvax.auburn.edu #####

maxc0849@ucselx.sdsu.edu (InnerTangent) (09/18/90)

 	Right now, the only term that I have experienced and know that i could
emulate vt100 rather closely is "Online !!".  It does a beautiful job on the
control codes and even support the cursor control on a typical vt100 terminal.

	If you could get your hand on Online!! , do it.  Although it is not as
pretty as Access, or as quick as BaudBandit, it is a solid terminal package.
It also support Kermit if you need to transfer files between your Amiga and
Mainframe.  Other protocols are also supported (X, Z, etc.)

	p.s.	DO ANYBODY ON THE NET HERE KNOWS IF THERE IS A GOOD UNIX
		ZMODEM TRANSFER PROGRAM LYING SOMEPLACE WHERE I COULD ACCESS
		THROUGH (FTP), OR (INTERNET).   THANKS YOU FOR WHATEVER YOU
		COULD SUPPLY.

--
..:  :.   ...:::.: .   ::::.. ::..  .: ::. .   ..::: . :. :. ..: :::. . :.: . :
[]  Only Amiga makes it Possible..  | InnerTangent: maxc0849@ucselx.sdsu.edu []

In article <1990Sep17.172317.4987@ucselx.sdsu.edu> maxc0849@ucselx.sdsu.edu (InnerTangent) writes:
> 	Right now, the only term that I have experienced and know that i could
>emulate vt100 rather closely is "Online !!".  It does a beautiful job on the
>control codes and even support the cursor control on a typical vt100 terminal.
		   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>	If you could get your hand on Online!! , do it.  Although it is not as
>pretty as Access, or as quick as BaudBandit, it is a solid terminal package.
>It also support Kermit if you need to transfer files between your Amiga and
>Mainframe.  Other protocols are also supported (X, Z, etc.)

Sorry I could not resist replying to this one :-) You say that Online! emulates
the VT100 "rather closely" and it "even supports the cursor control". This is
a joke right?  If it didn't support the cursor control it would be TOTALLY
unusable.  In fact Online!'s VT100 emulator is the *worse* of all the ones
I've seen, commercial, shareware and PD.  It fails on almost all features
even on simple torture tests like VTTEST. If you're strapped with money
both VT100 R.9 and Hanshake will do a much better job at emulating a VT100
than Online! by a mile. Both are available on Fish disks.  Of the commercials
I have no problem at stating that we have the best one.  And we do support
our products on a daily basis.  Ask yourself when Online! last updated their
program or fixed the problems to the VT100 emulation that have been known
to them for years.

-- Marco
"Xerox sues somebody for copying?" -- David Letterman

In <4453@orchid3.UUCP>, king@motcid.UUCP (Steven King) writes:

>I support Marco's opinion on this one, biased as it may be. :-)  Online! is
>absolutely the worst terminal program I've ever used.

I challenge that statement! It is absolutely false, without a basis in truth,
and you are doing a disservice to the entire Amiga community!

I can only assume that you think Online! is the worst terminal program because
you have never seen Maxicomm.

Online! is definitely the second worst commercial terminal program for the
Amiga.

-larry

--
It is not possible to both understand and appreciate Intel CPUs.
    -D.Wolfskill

king@motcid.UUCP (Steven King) (09/25/90)

In article <27261@usc.edu> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
>In article <1990Sep17.172317.4987@ucselx.sdsu.edu> maxc0849@ucselx.sdsu.edu (InnerTangent) writes:
>> 	Right now, the only term that I have experienced and know that i could
>>emulate vt100 rather closely is "Online !!".  It does a beautiful job on the
>>control codes and even support the cursor control on a typical vt100 terminal.
>
>[...] In fact Online!'s VT100 emulator is the *worse* of all the ones
>I've seen, commercial, shareware and PD.  It fails on almost all features
>even on simple torture tests like VTTEST. If you're strapped with money
>both VT100 R.9 and Hanshake will do a much better job at emulating a VT100
>than Online! by a mile.

I support Marco's opinion on this one, biased as it may be. :-)  Online! is
absolutely the worst terminal program I've ever used.  Actually, I used
the telecom portion of "The Works!", which I gather is nothing but an
integrated (yeah, right) collection of Online!, Scribble!, a spreadsheet
and a database manager.  Online! drove me to search out better comm programs,
and ATalk is the one I settled on.  It's not perfect (sorry, Marco) but
it beats the socks off of Online!  I'd venture that most freely distributable
programs would as well.

--
---------------------------------------------------+---------------------------
                         ___                       | Steven King  708-540-6771

amiga@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Boing) (09/26/90)

In article <2026@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca> lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:

>Online! is definitely the second worst commercial terminal program for the
>Amiga.

oh yeah?  I've got a copy of this ancient dog called A-Term I'd throw into
this fracas.  this program doesn't seem to be supported anymore, so maybe
it doesn't count.

-baron
--
  // uhccux amiga archive | amiga@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu | amiga@uhccux.bitnet
\X/  "just another peon"  | baron@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu | baron@uhccux.bitnet

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (09/27/90)

amiga@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Boing) writes:

> In article <2026@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca> lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phil
> >
> >Online! is definitely the second worst commercial terminal program for the
> >Amiga.
>
> oh yeah?  I've got a copy of this ancient dog called A-Term I'd throw into
> this fracas.  this program doesn't seem to be supported anymore, so maybe
> it doesn't count.
>
> -baron
> --
>   // uhccux amiga archive | amiga@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu | amiga@uhccux.bitne
> \X/  "just another peon"  | baron@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu | baron@uhccux.bitne

Do you mean AmigaTerm when you say the worst? Here's my ratings for comm
programs. (In order from best to worst)

1) JR-Comm
2) A-Talk III
3) VLT
4) HandShake
5) NComm
6) AZComm
7) VT100
[...]
999) AmigaTerm
1000) Online! Platinum

-Joseph Hillenburg

UUCP: ...iuvax!valnet!joseph
ARPA: valnet!joseph@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
INET: joseph@valnet.UUCP

jdege@ (Jeff Dege) (09/27/90)

In article <2026@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca> lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:
>In <4453@orchid3.UUCP>, king@motcid.UUCP (Steven King) writes:
>>
>>I support Marco's opinion on this one, biased as it may be. :-)  Online! is
>>absolutely the worst terminal program I've ever used.
>
>I challenge that statement! It is absolutely false, without a basis in truth,
>and you are doing a disservice to the entire Amiga community!
>you have never seen Maxicomm.
>Online! is definitely the second worst commercial terminal program for the
>Amiga.
>
>-larry

   Sorry, you forgot ATERM (not that it didn't deserve to be forgotten.)

In <9561@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu>, amiga@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Boing) writes:
>In article <2026@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca> lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:
>>
>>Online! is definitely the second worst commercial terminal program for the
>>Amiga.
>
>oh yeah?  I've got a copy of this ancient dog called A-Term I'd throw into
>this fracas.  this program doesn't seem to be supported anymore, so maybe
>it doesn't count.

Aterm at it earliest incarnation beat Maxicomm hands down for functionality
(ie. it didn't GURU). Amigaterm, on the other hand, may be a close race with
Online!

-larry

--

In <1990Sep27.002054.10228@cs.umn.edu>, jdege@ (Jeff Dege) writes:
>In article <2026@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca> lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:
>>In <4453@orchid3.UUCP>, king@motcid.UUCP (Steven King) writes:
>>>
>>>I support Marco's opinion on this one, biased as it may be. :-)  Online! is
>>>absolutely the worst terminal program I've ever used.
>>
>>I challenge that statement! It is absolutely false, without a basis in truth,
>>and you are doing a disservice to the entire Amiga community!
>>you have never seen Maxicomm.
>>Online! is definitely the second worst commercial terminal program for the
>>Amiga.
>>
>>-larry
>>
>   Sorry, you forgot ATERM (not that it didn't deserve to be forgotten.)

Nope... I say that for two reasons...

1. Aterm is not commercial
2. I still use it by preference

Of course, since I wrote part of it, it's natural that it fits exactly what I
want and need, and comes in at less than 32K Current version, with Sliding
Windows Kermit removed).

If, on the other hand, you are talking about Amigaterm (AmigaTerm?), then I
still say it's better than Maxicomm.

-larry

--

wayned@wddami.spoami.com (Wayne Diener) (09/28/90)

>In article <JND5P5w163w@valnet> joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) writes:
>amiga@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Boing) writes:
>
>> In article <2026@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca> lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phil
>> >
>> >Online! is definitely the second worst commercial terminal program for the
>> >Amiga.
>>
>> oh yeah?  I've got a copy of this ancient dog called A-Term I'd throw into
>> this fracas.  this program doesn't seem to be supported anymore, so maybe
>> it doesn't count.
>
>Do you mean AmigaTerm when you say the worst? Here's my ratings for comm
>programs. (In order from best to worst)
>
>1) JR-Comm
>2) A-Talk III
>3) VLT
>4) HandShake
>5) NComm
>6) AZComm
>7) VT100
>[...]
>999) AmigaTerm
>1000) Online! Platinum
>
>-Joseph Hillenburg

I've just got to add at least a tie for # 1000.  Anyone else remember
MaxiCom? (Am I dating myself?)

|       //                  Wayne D. Diener                     |
|      //                   Spokane, WA                         |
|  \\ //     E-mail reply to:                                   |
|   \X/      To: isc-br!hawk!wddami!wayned@uunet.uu.net         |

In <wayned.9604@wddami.spoami.com>, wayned@wddami.spoami.com (Wayne Diener) writes:

>I've just got to add at least a tie for # 1000.  Anyone else remember
>MaxiCom? (Am I dating myself?)

Maxicomm was already mentioned, but those who think there are worse ones have
obviously not actually seen Maxicomm. Without seeing it, they cannot possibly
come close to imagining the utter despair of anyone who tried to use it. In
fact, I think it's time for a new word in the Amiga's lexicon. It will be one
of those handy ones that can be used in many different parts of speech.

"What a piece of maxicomm!"

"This is a very maxicomm program."

"Don't maxicomm your program by not following the rules."

-larry

--
It is not possible to both understand and appreciate Intel CPUs.
    -D.Wolfskill

cag4@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Carson A Gaspar) (09/28/90)

I am a not-so-proud owner of Diga! and can say that it is without a doubt the
worst terminal program ever sold for the amiga. It's buggy, slow, crashes
constantly, and Aegis stopped supporting it almost immediately after release
("There is an upgrade coming out next month" "There is an upgrade coming out
RSN" "Diga!? We don't support that anymore.")

C G		BIX: cgaspar
 A		Internet: cag4@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu

billsey@agora.uucp (Bill Seymour) (10/01/90)

::
:
:oh yeah?  I've got a copy of this ancient dog called A-Term I'd throw into
:this fracas.  this program doesn't seem to be supported anymore, so maybe
:it doesn't count.

	Actually, A-Term had a redeeming thing or two in it. The X-Modem
implementation was pretty good... Interesting story behind that program,
and A-Copy, A-File and A-Disk. They were each done on a contract basis by
very early Amiga developers. The company that contracted out for the
programs never bothered to *pay* any of the programmers, so the programmers
never gave the final code the the marketing company. The marketing company
went ahead and shipped with the beta code. That's why there were never
any updates to those programs. (Except for unofficial hacks to A-Copy.)

:-baron
:--
:  // uhccux amiga archive | amiga@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu | amiga@uhccux.bitnet
:\X/  "just another peon"  | baron@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu | baron@uhccux.bitnet

--
     -Bill Seymour             ...tektronix!reed!percival!agora!billsey
Bejed, Inc.       NES, Inc.        Northwest Amiga Group    At Home Sometimes

In article <2053@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca> lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:
:In <1990Sep27.002054.10228@cs.umn.edu>, jdege@ (Jeff Dege) writes:
:>   Sorry, you forgot ATERM (not that it didn't deserve to be forgotten.)
:
:Nope... I say that for two reasons...
:
:1. Aterm is not commercial
:2. I still use it by preference
:
:Of course, since I wrote part of it, it's natural that it fits exactly what I
:want and need, and comes in at less than 32K Current version, with Sliding
:Windows Kermit removed).
:
:If, on the other hand, you are talking about Amigaterm (AmigaTerm?), then I
:still say it's better than Maxicomm.

	I actually believe he's talking about the Commercial program called
A-Term, released by a since defunct company called MegaSoft. It's a tossup
as to which was released first, A-Term or MaxiComm. I know in the Portland
area, A-Term hit the stores about two weeks before MaxiComm. (Novemeber,
1985?) A-Term was released with the beta code, and for various reasons,
was never finished. (One reason was that the programmer never got paid.)
It did have a very good X-Modem, but it would be tough to decide whether
MaxiComm or A-Term would 'win' the honors of being the worst commecial
terminal program for the Amiga. :-}

:-larry
:
:--
:It is not possible to both understand and appreciate Intel CPUs.
:    -D.Wolfskill
:+-----------------------------------------------------------------------+
:|   //   Larry Phillips                                                 |
:| \X/    lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca -or- uunet!van-bc!lpami!lphillips |
:|        COMPUSERVE: 76703,4322  -or-  76703.4322@compuserve.com        |
:+-----------------------------------------------------------------------+

--

In <14803@cbmvax.commodore.com>, bj@cbmvax.commodore.com (Brian Jackson) writes:
>In article <1990Oct1.062551.6144@agora.uucp> billsey@agora.uucp (Bill Seymour) writes:
>>In article <2053@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca> lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:
>>:In <1990Sep27.002054.10228@cs.umn.edu>, jdege@ (Jeff Dege) writes:
>>:>   Sorry, you forgot ATERM (not that it didn't deserve to be forgotten.)
>>:
>>:1. Aterm is not commercial
>>:2. I still use it by preference
>>:
>>:Of course, since I wrote part of it, it's natural that it fits exactly what I
>>:want and need, and comes in at less than 32K Current version, with Sliding
>>:Windows Kermit removed).
>>:
>>
>>	I actually believe he's talking about the Commercial program called
>>A-Term, released by a since defunct company called MegaSoft.
>
>When I think "ATerm" I think of Michael Mournier's thing that was
>available (PD?) as source quite soon after the release of the A1000
>in Sept 85.  It was the basis for many later term programs (Access!,
>Comm, Wecker's VT100, etc.)

That's the one I referred to in my posting. Aterm was originally written by
Michael Mounier, and extensively modified by Steve Allen, Jeff Lydiatt, and
myself. Jeff put in the clock, phone book, and Sliding Windows Kermit, and
modularized the code. I added the CHAT mode, and made extensive small
modifications to function key operation and file finding, and finally (on my
own version), removed the Slidng Windows Kermit and added two more speeds to
the baud rate selection (19.2KB and MIDI).

Now that I see the mention of Megasoft (a company best forgotten, from my
knowledge of them in the C64 days), I do remember A-Term. Over the years, there
has been some confusion as to which program is which. Here are the ones I know
of that have been mistaken for each other...

  Aterm - the one I referred to (PD, by Michael Mounier)

  Amigaterm - Not the CBM one, but Aterm under a different name, as it
              appeared on Fred Fish #1. Reason for name change unknown,
              but it was probably submitted to Fred that way.

  Amigaterm - The CBM terminal program bundled with their modem.

  A-Term - the Megasoft product mentioned above.

Many other terminal programs have been based on Aterm, including, but not
limited to:

  AmigaDisplay - Don Woods

  TermPlus - Bob Rakosky

	VT100 - Dave Wecker

Just a little rambling for the Amiga history buffs.

-larry

--

bj@cbmvax.commodore.com (Brian Jackson) (10/02/90)

In article <1990Oct1.062551.6144@agora.uucp> billsey@agora.uucp (Bill Seymour) writes:
>In article <2053@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca> lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:
>:In <1990Sep27.002054.10228@cs.umn.edu>, jdege@ (Jeff Dege) writes:
>:>   Sorry, you forgot ATERM (not that it didn't deserve to be forgotten.)
>:
>:Nope... I say that for two reasons...
>:
>:1. Aterm is not commercial
>:2. I still use it by preference
>:
>:Of course, since I wrote part of it, it's natural that it fits exactly what I
>:want and need, and comes in at less than 32K Current version, with Sliding
>:Windows Kermit removed).
>:
>:If, on the other hand, you are talking about Amigaterm (AmigaTerm?), then I
>:still say it's better than Maxicomm.
>
>	I actually believe he's talking about the Commercial program called
>A-Term, released by a since defunct company called MegaSoft. It's a tossup
>as to which was released first, A-Term or MaxiComm. I know in the Portland
>area, A-Term hit the stores about two weeks before MaxiComm. (Novemeber,
>1985?) A-Term was released with the beta code, and for various reasons,
>was never finished. (One reason was that the programmer never got paid.)
>It did have a very good X-Modem, but it would be tough to decide whether
>MaxiComm or A-Term would 'win' the honors of being the worst commecial
>terminal program for the Amiga. :-}
>
>:-larry

When I think "ATerm" I think of Michael Mournier's thing that was
available (PD?) as source quite soon after the release of the A1000
in Sept 85.  It was the basis for many later term programs (Access!,
Comm, Wecker's VT100, etc.)

>:
>:--
>:It is not possible to both understand and appreciate Intel CPUs.
>:    -D.Wolfskill
>:+-----------------------------------------------------------------------+
>:|   //   Larry Phillips                                                 |
>:| \X/    lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca -or- uunet!van-bc!lpami!lphillips |
>:|        COMPUSERVE: 76703,4322  -or-  76703.4322@compuserve.com        |
>:+-----------------------------------------------------------------------+
>

>--
>     -Bill Seymour             ...tektronix!reed!percival!agora!billsey
>=============================================================================
>Bejed, Inc.       NES, Inc.        Northwest Amiga Group    At Home Sometimes
>(503) 281-8153    (503) 246-9311   (503) 656-7393 BBS       (503) 640-0842

skank@du248-09.cc.iastate.edu (Skank George L) (10/03/90)

     I've been following this discussion pretty closely and I'd like to say
that Handshake (Shareware) is VERY nice and works well under 2.0.  It is
hard drive installable, runs with 512K, and multitasks well.  I experienced
no problems running it under 2.0 with my A3000.

                                 --George

amiga@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Boing) (10/03/90)

)>
)
)When I think "ATerm" I think of Michael Mournier's thing that was
)available (PD?) as source quite soon after the release of the A1000
)in Sept 85.  It was the basis for many later term programs (Access!,
)Comm, Wecker's VT100, etc.)
)

Larry is correct that I (and possibly the others) were referring to A-Term
by the defunct Megasoft.  I guess it's history sort of explains its quality.
I never had the misfortune of using MaxiComm, so I can't comment on their
relative merits.  As it was I bought A-Term (not having anything else
available) and used it until Dave Wecker began releasing his vt100 emulator.
Later, I switched to Handshake.  Ironically I was actually able to put A-Term
to good use recently.  I used it in Oxxi's "upgrade to A-Talk III" offer.  :-)

-baron

--

consp13@bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu (Marcus Cannava) (10/04/90)

In article <1990Oct2.204455.28771@news.iastate.edu>,
skank@du248-09.cc.iastate.edu (Skank George L) writes:

|>     I've been following this discussion pretty closely and I'd like to say
|>that Handshake (Shareware) is VERY nice and works well under 2.0.  It is
|>hard drive installable, runs with 512K, and multitasks well.  I experienced
|>no problems running it under 2.0 with my A3000.
|>
|>                                 --George

I, too, use Handshake exclusively on my A3000. The only slight problem
with it (and I've noticed this on plenty of programs that haven't
officially been 'converted' for 2.0 compatibility) is that the window it
opens on the Workbench screen expects to be using Topaz-8 as the screen
font. I have, of course, customized my Workbench to be using Helvetica
at a different point size. The window is a bit munged, but totally readable.

Only a slight annoyance.

					\marc

======

'I do not fear computers.. I fear the lack of them'  -- I. Asimov
									RNM

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (10/04/90)

skank@du248-09.cc.iastate.edu (Skank George L) writes:

>      I've been following this discussion pretty closely and I'd like to say
> that Handshake (Shareware) is VERY nice and works well under 2.0.  It is
> hard drive installable, runs with 512K, and multitasks well.  I experienced
> no problems running it under 2.0 with my A3000.
>
>                                  --George

Yes, but it doesn't like my A2232!

-Joseph Hillenburg

UUCP: ...iuvax!valnet!joseph
ARPA: valnet!joseph@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
INET: joseph@valnet.UUCP

jdp@caleb.UUCP (Jim Pritchett) (10/04/90)

[Feed Maxicomm to the LineEater!]

Just to inject a little fairness into this discussion:

I've had an Amiga since December 1985.  (not quite day 1, but very
close!)  I was there when Maxicomm was the first and only widely
distributed commercial comm program for the Amiga.  Frankly, it
stank according to the BBS comments of the time.  Somewhat more
accurately, it was alpha software foisted off on the buying public.
(This author later became famous for selling alpha and beta software -
e.g. MaxiPlan and Ultracard.)  I bought the first version of OnLine!
when it came out.  It worked, but it had a few annoying bugs!  It was
much better than MaxiComm.  It took about a year for MaxiComm to reach
what was reported to be a useable configuration.  (Actually, a few of
the OnLine! problems that I had were due to the bugs in v1.1 of AmigaDos.)
Over time MSS (the publisher) has provided upgrades (4 or 5 if I remember
correctly) for a fee.  These upgrades fixed bugs and added capabilities.
I upgraded on each on except the last one when it became "Platinum."  I
didn't upgrade the last time for two reasons.  First, and most important
was the fact that OnLine! worked fine for me except for the CIS-B download
protocol that I didn't use anyway.  Second, the upgrade cost more than
the benefit provided.  However, I see little substance to account for
the tremendous bashing that OnLine! always gets on the nets.  For some
reason, it has become one of the popular products for people to bash on
the networks.  I really don't know why, though.  There were and are much
worse products out there which get little of this kind of bashing.  I've
used OnLine! since it came out, and I like it.  That's my opinion.

I should note that MaxiPlan eventually became a useful product also.  I
use it regularly.  (It has a few annoying bugs still, but it is useful
if you avoid them.)  However, I would highly recommend that you carefully
test any product written by the author of MC, MP, and UCard before buying!
From what I've seen, the first several versions of his programs are nearly
useless.  Eventually, he seems to get the programs debugged to a usable
state - but not even close to bug free!  Of course, these upgrades will
cost you more money.  Unfortunately, he also seems to lose interest in the
programs before they reach what I would call a finished state.  Caveat
Emptor.

By the way, any time that you buy commercial software that is so buggy
that it is obviously "beta" software, please post warnings here so that
others will be warned!  I would like to thank the posters that reported
the "beta" nature of UltraCard before I bought one.

These are my opinions and fading memories.  If I have misremembered,
please drop me a note.

                                 Thanks,

--

                                                Jim Pritchett

UUCP:  texsun.central.sun.com!letni!rwsys!caleb!jdp
 or    letni.lonestar.org!dms3b1!caleb!jdp

bj@cbmvax.commodore.com (Brian Jackson) (10/04/90)

In article <9qHHq3w163w@valnet> joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) writes:
>skank@du248-09.cc.iastate.edu (Skank George L) writes:
>

>>      I've been following this discussion pretty closely and I'd like to say
>> that Handshake (Shareware) is VERY nice and works well under 2.0.  It is
>> hard drive installable, runs with 512K, and multitasks well.  I experienced
>> no problems running it under 2.0 with my A3000.
>>
>>                                  --George
>
>Yes, but it doesn't like my A2232!
>
>-Joseph Hillenburg

Hmmm, I use Handshake on my 2232 all the time.  Handshake -s3 does it
for me.

 | Brian Jackson  Software Engineer @ Commodore-Amiga Inc.    GEnie: B.J. |
 | bj@cbmvax.commodore.com    or  ...{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!bj            |
 | "Huh?"  - Lao-Tse                                                      |

julian@unx.sas.com (Phil Julian) (10/17/90)

I don't have an A2322, but I find that Handshake is one of the few
"free" programs thats claims to have a VT100-type emulation and
actually succeeds.
--
 Phil Julian           | The old fart inside was now breathin' freely
 SAS Institute, Inc.   | from his perfume bottle atomizer air bulb invention

fhwri%CONNCOLL.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (10/17/90)

LOVE your signature--another TROUT MASK REPLICA fan!
                                                Fast 'n' Bulbous!

                                                --rw
                                                fhwri@conncoll.bitnet

n074ev@tamuts.tamu.edu (Christopher Walton) (10/19/90)

Does handshake have Zmodem?  And a GOOD script language?

Personally, I think NComm is THE best for mainfraim comm.
It has an AWESOME script language, and has VT100 emulation, which works for me,
and is "free" as well...  AND it has ZMODEM...

  Christopher Walton                  :    n07ev@tamuts.tamu.edu
    'To LIVE is to use an AMIGA!'     :    cmw1725@tamvenus.tamu.edu

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (10/20/90)

Watch out with NComm. ANY term that fully supports ARexx can easily blow
NComm out of the water. (Now only if JR-Comm had ARexx)