[comp.sys.amiga] DNET and Doccumentation woes!! <AIIIIIIGH>

jeremym@brahms.udel.edu (Jeremy A Moskowitz) (10/20/90)

Ok guys. Next problem. I got DNET off of the fish
disks. Now, I booz x the file, and
it gives me a billion files. For the last oh,
24 hours or so, I've been trying to get
this thing a-running.

Questions that are (i guess) answerable::

1) How can I tell the difference between
the amiga files and the UNIX files???n
2) I have about a billion .c and .h files.
   Where do these go?
3) After getting the files in place (step 2)
how do I get them compiled?
4) Give me a tipical setup. ie: how you all have it!
5) I tried making the .DNET directory and everything
but, I'm swamped with files files files files files! HELP!

If you can help, this'd be appreciated.

As most of you know, I'm a hardware, not a software
dude, so be patient. Thanks amigians!

Please reply to:

jeremy@freezer.it.udel.edu or
jeremym@brahms.udel.edu

This baby's goin' on the freezer (sun) accounts...
So help me out, will ya?
Thanks.

jbn35564@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (J.B. Nicholson) (10/20/90)

Just a general note:  Read the readme files before attempting any of this.  I'm
no DNet expert, but this is what I did and my DNet works fine.  I'm assuming
you have already edited the dnet.servers files on both systems to reflect where
all the necessary server data is (on both sides), and you have configured
everything on the Amiga side (the Amiga side is tougher to do than the UNIX
side).

jeremym@brahms.udel.edu (Jeremy A Moskowitz) writes:

>Ok guys. Next problem. I got DNET off of the fish
>disks.

That may not be the latest version, the latest version can be obtained via
anonymous FTP from ucbvax.berkeley.edu.

>Now, I booz x the file [...]
>1) How can I tell the difference between
>the amiga files and the UNIX files???n

Well, I'm not sure about booz, but if you had said "zoo x// dnet.zoo" instead
of "booz x" the subdirectories for the seperation of Amiga and UNIX files
would have become evident.

>2) I have about a billion .c and .h files.
>   Where do these go?

You need to compile the UNIX side of DNet yourself, the .c and .h files on the
UNIX side can stay where they are after unpacking the dnet.zoo archive.

>3) After getting the files in place (step 2)
>how do I get them compiled?

Simply make the "make" file executable ('chmod u+x make') and say ('make').

>4) Give me a tipical setup. ie: how you all have it!

That is described in the docs (one of the few things that is), but mine is:
(Amiga side)
    DNET: is assigned to dh0:utilities/DNet

    Inside my DNET: dir is bin/ where all the binaries reside.

    The rest of the files you don't have any choice on where to put them, so
      just put them where the docs tell you.

(UNIX side)
    ~/.DNET/ has the dnet.servers file, and (when DNet is running) will hold
      the BSD-like link files (sorry, I've temporarily forgotten what those
      files are technically called that show up in ls with an '=' after them).

    ~/.dnet.bin/ holds the Unix side binaries...just like the name suggests.

>5) I tried making the .DNET directory and everything
>but, I'm swamped with files files files files files! HELP!

For some reason that I can't explain now (but I'm trying to figure out), if you
make a .dnet dir DNet makes a .DNET dir (they aren't the same - case-sensitivity
stinks in my view!) and uses it.  If that happens, use whichever DNet puts it's
links files in, meaning toss your dnet.servers file in whichever one DNet is
using and then kill the other dir.

>If you can help, this'd be appreciated.

I hope any of this helped.  I haven't completely understood DNet myself, but I'm
trying to.  I hope Matt Dillon is reading this!

>As most of you know, I'm a hardware, not a software
>dude, so be patient. Thanks amigians!

No problem!

>Please reply to:

>jeremy@freezer.it.udel.edu or
>jeremym@brahms.udel.edu

I would have replied via email, but there might be someone else out there who
needs help with DNet, and perhaps this will help them as well (there seems to
be a growing number of people using DNet).

| "Earth destroyed by solar flare.  Film at eleven"  - The last nightly news.|
| jeffo@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu             These opinions are mine, that's all.|