[comp.sys.amiga] Naive question about Mac-emulators

de@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (David England) (10/15/90)

Do any of the available Mac emulators allow you to read/write Mac disks
with the Amiga drive or is a case of plugging your Amiga into the back
of a Mac? Answers to this and any other comments on the pluses and minuses
of Mac emulators welcome.

Dave

--
ARPANet: de%cs.glasgow.ac.uk@{ucl-cs.arpa,nsfnet-relay.ac.uk}
JANET:   de@uk.ac.glasgow.cs

plangsha@spam.ua.oz (Peter K Langshaw) (10/16/90)

In article <6561@vanuata.cs.glasgow.ac.uk> de@cs.glasgow.ac.uk () writes:
>Do any of the available Mac emulators allow you to read/write Mac disks
>with the Amiga drive or is a case of plugging your Amiga into the back
>of a Mac? Answers to this and any other comments on the pluses and minuses
>of Mac emulators welcome.

I would also like to know any answers to this question as our Department have
just bought Macs for all the lecturing staff. Can I do anything I do on the Mac
on my Amiga????

Ta
Langy.

Peter Langshaw (plangsha@spam.ua.oz.au)
Department of Applied Maths
University of Adelaide
GPO Box 498
Adelaide 5001

fhwri%CONNCOLL.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (10/16/90)

The forthcoming board from ReadySoft, AMAX II PLUS (I think) is a self-
contained Mac emulator that, according to their ads, WILL allow Amiga
drives to read & write Mac disks. Neat trick, if it's true. It is a card
for the 2000, BTW.
                                                --rw
                                                fhwri@conncoll.bitnet

JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) (10/20/90)

I tried to e-mail this to both "de at cs.glasgow.ac.uk" and
"plangsha at spam.ua.oz"; one bounced, so I gotta post it:

Yes, you can actually read and write Macintosh disks with an Amiga;
no you do not need an actual Macintosh attached.  You *do* need an
actual Macintosh external floppy attached.  The A-Max II package
comes with a converter box that lets you connect the Mac drive
right up.  The converter box is also where you plug in the 128K
Mac ROM chips to run the emulation.  The other poster who mentioned
the A-Max II+ board was also correct - when this board is released
(due date: November) it will plug into a 2000 and let you read
and write Mac disks directly in the Amiga drives, thereby no longer
requiring an actual Mac drive.

A-Max II works *wonderfully*   It is one of the most useful products
I own for my Amiga.  We use Macs at work daily, and I can run EVERY
piece of productivity software we run on the Mac II's at work on
my Amiga with A-Max.  It is, for all intents and purposes, a Mac.
I highly recommend this product.

                                                            Kurt
|| Kurt Tappe   (215) 363-9485  || Amigas, Macs, IBM's, C-64's, NeXTs, ||
|| 184 W. Valley Hill Rd.       ||  Apple ]['s....  I use 'em all.     ||
|| Malvern, PA 19355-2214       ||  (and in that order too!   ;-)      ||
||  jkt100@psuvm.bitnet  jkt100%psuvm.bitnet@psuvax1  QLink: KurtTappe ||