[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga 500 at Sears

mcc@moscom.UUCP (Mike Corbett) (10/17/90)

Well,  I read all about Sears selling Amiga 500's so I went out to some local
Sears stores to see what _exactly_ the story is.

1)  Yes, you can order an Amiga 500 with TextCraft+ a game and another title,
    for $499.  A 1084s monitor is $399.  An external floppy is $259.

    Ouch!

2)  No, you can NOT see one one the showroom floor before your decide to buy.
    It looks like the Amiga is the only computer Sears sells for which this is
    true.  (The PS/1's had _major_ displays.)

    Let's see now... I can buy it, but I can't touch one until after I buy it.
    Sort of makes it difficult to comparison shop.  Would you lay out $800 on
    a computer that you never saw?

3)  Well, what about software?  Nope, we don't sell any for the Amiga.
    Where can I get some?  "I don't know.  You might try Electronic Boutique."

    Great!  The sales creatures know nothing about Amigas at all!

4)  Just for grins I asked the critter if they were going to have any display
    models or software for the Amiga in the future.  "No."

It appears that Sears has agreed to offer the Amiga, but they don't _really_
want to sell any.  I can't believe the Joe and Jane consumer would shell out
over $800 for a computer they can't "road test" or buy _any_ software for when
they can buy something with a name they can identify for "just a few dollars
more".  That is IF they even checked out the catalog before they walked into
the store.

Just as a small note, the picture in the catalog shows nothing plugged in,
nothing powered up, the mouse is plugged into the monitor and the screen shot
is "PC Tools" for the IBM stretched so the top and bottom are off screen.

Mike

--
      ///
     ///   "Only Amiga Makes It Possible!"        mcc@moscom.com

liberato@dri.com (Jimmy Liberato) (10/20/90)

mcc@moscom.UUCP (Mike Corbett) writes:

>Well,  I read all about Sears selling Amiga 500's so I went out to some local
>Sears stores to see what _exactly_ the story is.

I walked into Macy*s today and there was a 500 sitting there across the aisle
from the Nintendo section with the Workbench hand on the screen.  Nobody there
knew how to start the thing up or what the Workbench was.  Are there any nice
demos that work in 512K that I could give them?

--
Jimmy Liberato   liberato@dri.com
                 ...uunet!drivax!liberato