[comp.sys.amiga] Info, please, about Amiga gcc

zerkle@iris.ucdavis.edu (Dan Zerkle) (10/19/90)

In article <stefanb.656250992@cip-s02> stefanb@cip-s02.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (Stefan Becker) writes:
>@utrcgw.utc.com:mark@ardnt1 (mark) writes:
>>Does this mean that you have a version of GCC for the Amiga?
>
>Yes. It is available per FTP from
>ftp.informatik.rwth-aachen.de [192.35.229.9] /pub/amiga/compilers/...

Before I ftp to Germany, what can peoples tell me about this gcc?

1. Is it a port of the Gnu C compiler?

if so...

2. Does it support all the features the Gnu CC does?

if not...

3. Which ones?
   a. local & global optimization?
   b. 6888x code generation?
   c. stdio & other libraries?
   d. Ansi proposed standard code compilation?
   e. Lightening fast compilation?
   f. 68020/68030 code generation?
   g. Linker included?
   f. Other stuff?

4. Is it available closer to California (If gnu, better be!).

5. Anything else important?

             Dan Zerkle  zerkle@iris.ucdavis.edu  (916) 754-0240
           Amiga...  Because life is too short for boring computers.

gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) (10/19/90)

In article <7846@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> zerkle@iris.ucdavis.edu (Dan Zerkle) writes:
>In article <stefanb.656250992@cip-s02> stefanb@cip-s02.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (Stefan Becker) writes:
>>@utrcgw.utc.com:mark@ardnt1 (mark) writes:
>>>Does this mean that you have a version of GCC for the Amiga?
>>
>>Yes. It is available per FTP from
>>ftp.informatik.rwth-aachen.de [192.35.229.9] /pub/amiga/compilers/...
>
>Before I ftp to Germany, what can peoples tell me about this gcc?
>
>1. Is it a port of the Gnu C compiler?

Yes it is.

As an unrelated question, is anybody working on porting some Common
Lisp to the Amiga since GCC is available?  Somebody mentioned
Kyoto Common Lisp to me.  If so, please tell us 8-)  I find that
any of the LISPs currently available do not suffice 8-(.

			Thanks, Ralph

gilgalad@dip.eecs.umich.edu       gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu

Ralph Seguin		| "You mean THE Zaphod Beeblebrox?"
536 South Forest	|
Apartment 915		| "No.  Haven't you heard, I come in six packs!"
Ann Arbor, MI 48104	|
(313) 662-4805

micja@IDA.LiU.SE (Michael Jansson) (10/19/90)

There is a port of gcc (the GNU C compiler) at new xanth, i.e.
abcfd20.larc.nasa.gov [128.155.23.64] and it is called "gcc020.LZH". You
will find it under /amiga or incoming/amiga. Apparently it requires the
manx linker and the amiga include files to work and it consumes huge
amount of stack space (more then 100k). Another drawback is that it only
works with a 68020 CPU or a 68030 CPU. It uses the arp library to start
processes (the preprocessor etc) and apparently there is some problems
with doing this under OS 2.0 so it will only work for OS 1.3. (I just
happened to have a A2000/A2620 with 5Meg ram so these requirements is not
a problem for me at least ;-)

I only just fetched the archive yesterday and I am not involved in this work so I
might have misunderstood some of the details.
#   Michael Jansson             |   \_/
#   Internet: mij@IDA.LIU.SE    |    V                   _|_
#   UUCP: uunet!liuida!mij      |    |    Absolut Software|
#   BITNET: mij@SELIUIDA        |   ~~~

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (10/20/90)

Also, I would be interested in gcc or g++. However, since I've only found
one European site where the netlag is bearable, I'd like to know if I
Eer if somneone could please put this and all related files on abcfd20
please.

-Joseph Hillenburg

UUCP: ...iuvax!valnet!joseph
ARPA: valnet!joseph@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
INET: joseph@valnet.UUCP

KELLYDK@QUCDN.QueensU.CA (Doug Kelly) (10/20/90)

Is anyone out there actually using GCC yet????  Since I've only
got Lattice, I can't run it, and I'm interested in knowing whether
it's worth shelling out $$$ to get Aztec just to run GCC.  Any info
on performance (especially feats like compiling large progs. which
Lattice chokes on) would be greatly appreciated

thanx
Doug Kelly
kellydk@qucdn.queensu.ca