[comp.sys.amiga] HP Deskjet info wanted

gilgalad@dip.eecs.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) (10/03/90)

Hi.  My brother is about to get a HP Deskjet printer.  I was
wondering if anybody had any recommendations?  Where can I
obtain a good printer driver (1.3, 2.0)?  Where can I get
good ink cartridges cheap?  Good paper cheap?
Is this a good printer?

			Thanks, Ralph

gilgalad@dip.eecs.umich.edu       gilgalad@zip.eecs.umich.edu
gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu     Ralph_Seguin@ub.cc.umich.edu
gilgalad@sparky.eecs.umich.edu    USER6TUN@UMICHUB.BITNET

Ralph Seguin		| "You mean THE Zaphod Beeblebrox?"
536 South Forest	|
Apartment 915		| "No.  Haven't you heard, I come in six packs!"
Ann Arbor, MI 48104	|
(313) 662-4805

paulz@hpspdra.HP.COM (Paul Zander) (10/10/90)

re: HP PaintJet

I have borrowed one on several occasions, and am planning to buy my own
soon.  The driver is standard in 1.3  (and I expect also in 2.0).  At
180 dots per inch in X and Y, it makes a good match for the Amiga
resolution.

Sorry, I can't help with suggestions of where to buy the ink an paper.
The guys at HPLabs did a lot of research into inks which give good
color and don't jam up the heads.  Try experimenting with different
kinds of paper.  The official PaintJet paper is coated so that the ink
dots will not bleed and give the sharpest image.  Other papers will
cause the ink to spread out.  Somethimes this is really a "nicer"
effect.

jea@prodigal.psych.rochester.edu (Joanne Albano) (10/10/90)

Can someone tell me the difference between the HP Paintjet
at $1000 and the HP Paintjet XL at about $1900?
Thanks,
jea@cvs.rochester.edu

rusty@steelmill.cs.umd.edu (Rusty Haddock) (10/10/90)

In some article jea@prodigal.psych.rochester.edu (Joanne Albano) writes:
   >Can someone tell me the difference between the HP Paintjet
   >at $1000 and the HP Paintjet XL at about $1900?

Other than the XL having a wide carriage (17-inches?),
I really don't know of any differences.

	-Rusty-
--
Rusty Haddock				DOMAIN:	rusty@mimsy.cs.umd.edu
Computer Science Department		PATH:	{uunet,rutgers}!mimsy!rusty

mshaver@pyrthoth.pyramid.com (Matthew Shaver) (10/12/90)

In article <26922@mimsy.umd.edu> rusty@steelmill.cs.umd.edu (Rusty Haddock) writes:
>In some article jea@prodigal.psych.rochester.edu (Joanne Albano) writes:
>   >Can someone tell me the difference between the HP Paintjet
>   >at $1000 and the HP Paintjet XL at about $1900?
>
>Other than the XL having a wide carriage (17-inches?),
>I really don't know of any differences.

The XL also has separate ink cartriges for cyan, magenta and yellow
which is very nice since I always seem to run out of yellow first with
my (non-XL) paintjet.  I think the XL also can take plug in cartriges
for fonts and to support HP GL/2 plotter language.

Matt.  (mshaver@pyramid.com)

rrd@hpfcso.HP.COM (Ray Depew) (10/13/90)

> Hi.  My brother is about to get a HP Deskjet printer.  I was
> wondering if anybody had any recommendations?

Buy it.

> Where can I
> obtain a good printer driver (1.3, 2.0)?

Most Amiga SW & upgrades in the last 3 years should already have
a DJ driver.  Also works for the DJ Plus and DJ 500.

> Where can I get
> good ink cartridges cheap?

Try HP.  :-)
Some people refill their old cartridges with Schaeffer ink and a syringe.
I wouldn't recommend it.  (We used to do that to the prototypes at
InkJet Components Operation, but it mucks up the printhead very quickly.)

>  Good paper cheap?

Use good copier paper from any office supply store.  Notice how the copier
paper has a "front" side and "back" side?  Put it in the DJ "front" side
up, so it prints on the "back" side.

For classy reports, use good bond paper, either side.

> Is this a good printer?

Of course it is.  Several hundred thousand users can't be wrong.  (But read
my .sig and see who I work for)  Seriously, it's a very good printer, priced
lower than most 24-pin dot matrix, but with print quality on a par with
LaserJet.  True 300 dpi.

Actually, the dots are even sharper than the LaserJet dots, since laser toner
tends to "fuzz out" on the edges.  On some papers, this will give you
300 dpi "jaggies" on your capital A's and other things.

With the new water-resistant ink, you don't have to worry anymore about
spilling coffee on your printout and rendering it illegible.  All in all,
I think you & your brother will really enjoy the printer.

> Thanks, Ralph

You're welcome.  Enjoy.

Regards
Ray Depew
HP Colorado IC Division
rrd@hpfitst1.hp.com

Disclaimer:  HP doesn't know I'm telling you this.  They think I'm working!

daves@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Dave Scroggins) (10/19/90)

>   >Can someone tell me the difference between the HP Paintjet
>   >at $1000 and the HP Paintjet XL at about $1900?

>Other than the XL having a wide carriage (17-inches?),
>I really don't know of any differences.

Well this isn't exactly true --- The PaintJet uses fanfold paper
with manual single sheet/transparenecy mode available.
(A/A4 size Z fold)

The Paintjet XL, on the other hand, uses cut sheet print media, with
automatic loading. It can auotmatically feed transparency film.
( tray holds up to 200 sheets A/A4 or B/A3 sheets of paper or
 up to 70 sheets of A/A4 transparency film.)
--

The XL also has a "presentation mode" for "brighter, more dense colors".
(presentation mode is for use with paper only)

The XL can accept font cartridges also, including an HP-GL/2 language
interpreter cartridge.

--

The PaintJet users two ink cartridges, a black and multicolor.

The XL users four, black, cyan, yellow, and magenta.

--

The PaintJet is powered by an external power module (like the DeskJet).

The XL uses your basic power cord.

--

The XL takes up about twice the desk space as a regular PaintJet.

--

The XL costs ALMOST twice what a regular PaintJet will cost.
(based on list price)

--

Information obtained from the PaintJet XL User's Guide and  HP Test &
Measurement Catalog 1990.

I normally use a regular PaintJet at work, I can send things over the LAN to
a PaintJet XL, although I don't too often, and use a DeskJet at home.
(Sometimes I take the regular PaintJet home to use with my Amiga.)

DISCLAIMER: I do not work for the part of HP that makes printers. HP does not
            give me anything if anyone buys a printer. I jsut like the printers.

-----

An aside: The HP Test & Measurement Catalog 1990 actually mentions hooking the
          printers to an AMIGA.

           The PaintJet XL User's Guide specifies which RS232 cables to use
           with "Commmodor Amiga 500/1000", and which Centronics cable to
           use with a "Commodore Amiga 500/2000".

I don't know why they were listed like that, rather all three computers for
both cables. (The A3000 wasn't out when the book was printed.) But that
is the FIRST time I had seen the Amiga mentioned in an official HP document.

Dave S.

fhwri%CONNCOLL.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (10/20/90)

It's nice to see that HP acknowledges that Amigas exist; I was talking with
HP Customer Service and the woman was surprised when I informed her that
a company sells a custom driver for my Deskjet+ (Creative Focus' DJHelper,
which is worth EVERY PENNY of its $50 cost--it's FAR more than just a
driver--it's a completely configurable driver, font loader, and much more--
free plug from a satisfied user). There are a LOT of Amiga users who have
Deskjets, and the recent $$$ reductions will only increase that number.
                                                --Rick Wrigley
                                                fhwri@conncoll.bitnet