[comp.sys.amiga] X

bennete@urania.CS.ORST.EDU (Erik Bennett;;;757-2454;) (02/10/89)

I cannot seem to mail Dale Luck directly, so:
    Will you put me on the X-newsletter mailing list?
Thanks,
-Erik
bennete@urania.cs.orst.edu

soh@shiva.trl.oz (kam hung soh) (10/17/90)

In article <123395@linus.mitre.org> duncant@mbunix.mitre.org (Thomson) writes:
  [ Steve Jobs' talk at a conference in Tokyo that the author attended ]
>Could someone explain what it is about X-windows that makes it "brain damaged"
>or "fatally flawed"?

There's a long thread in comp.windows.x about what is good and bad
about X.  Personally, X is not bad as far as windowing systems are
concerned.  Sure, it can be a memory hog, require some swap space on
disk, and dead slow at times.  It's big selling point (for a free
system, that ain't bad) is that it is supported on many different
platforms, and the programs written in X tend to be portable.

Many people don't like X because it doesn't specify a user interface
standard.  They forget that all X does is provide a standard
programming interface for windowing environments.  It is up to vendors
and committees to specify the "look and feel" of applications.

I don't really give a damn whether the computer I'm using has X or
Intuition or Windows.  Most graphic user interfaces look the same, and
if I can customise the mouse actions, they feel the same as well.
Unfortunately, people in marketing seem to think that a particular
windowing system is important to novices, so they make a big fuss
about it in advertisements.

------
Soh, Kam Hung      email: h.soh@trl.oz.au     tel: +61 03 541 6403
Telecom Research Laboratories, P.O. Box 249, Clayton, Victoria 3168, Australia

In article <2356@trlluna.trl.oz> soh@shiva.trl.oz (kam hung soh) writes:
> Many people don't like X because it doesn't specify a user interface
> standard.

That's a new one, actually. The problem with X is that it's very low
level, so each application is responsible for the entire UI. There are
no system supported menus, or gadgets, or icons... in fact, the system
doesn't support anything but (in Amiga terms) layers. Everything else
is the responsibility of the applications.

This means that X programs are very large, and very complicated. It also
means that X requires a lot more horsepower from the application processor
than higher level systems like MGR or NeWS.

Another result? Bigger and more complex toolkits that wrap the program
around the user interface.

> I don't really give a damn whether the computer I'm using has X or
> Intuition or Windows.

You're not a programmer. You can get the same results from MS-DOS or AmigaOS,
but it's a hell of a lot harder when you basically have to rewrite the O/S
every time you write a program. X is to windowing as DOS is to operating
systems.

Hands up everyone here who likes DOS.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) (10/19/90)

In article <6828@sugar.hackercorp.com> peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>This means that X programs are very large, and very complicated. It also
>means that X requires a lot more horsepower from the application processor
>than higher level systems like MGR or NeWS.

No doubt about it.  Even simple X applications can run over a meg easily.

>Another result? Bigger and more complex toolkits that wrap the program
>around the user interface.

Ahhh, but the toolkits provide such a nice environment.

>> I don't really give a damn whether the computer I'm using has X or
>> Intuition or Windows.

Actually, X and Intuition are very similar.

>You're not a programmer. You can get the same results from MS-DOS or AmigaOS,
>but it's a hell of a lot harder when you basically have to rewrite the O/S
>every time you write a program. X is to windowing as DOS is to operating
>systems.

I disagree, with the Xtoolkit, it is a snap to produce stuff.  There
are some very nice things in X (and the toolkit) for programmers.
There are some things in X that should be in Intuition.

>Hands up everyone here who likes DOS.

Count me out there! 8-) Give me UNIX and Amiga OS (concurrently preferably 8-)

>Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
><peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

			See ya, Ralph

gilgalad@dip.eecs.umich.edu       gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu

Ralph Seguin		| "You mean THE Zaphod Beeblebrox?"
536 South Forest	|
Apartment 915		| "No.  Haven't you heard, I come in six packs!"
Ann Arbor, MI 48104	|
(313) 662-4805

In article <1990Oct19.075445.12417@engin.umich.edu> gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) writes:
> >> I don't really give a damn whether the computer I'm using has X or
> >> Intuition or Windows.

> Actually, X and Intuition are very similar.

Similar how? Intuition is quite a bit higher-level than X: the current
selection of intuition-supported objects is small, but with gadtools
they can be increased indefinitely... and unlike X these tools will be
upgradedable without rebuilding all your programs: look at requestors
on a 2.0 system. Look at all the scroll bars that have automagically
changed to be consistent with 2.0. The difference between 1.3 and 2.0
is at least as great as between OpenLook and Motif, and all the programs
run under both!

And when the program's out running computations (i.e., doing the real work
you're trying to get done) the screen is still live. It's a *big* difference.

> I disagree, with the Xtoolkit, it is a snap to produce stuff.

All of which remains (a) large and (b) dependent on your program getting back
to the screen *quickly* to handle refresh events. ALL X windows are simple-
refresh! Then we get to color selections. Ever opened a color window and had
all the colors of your other windows change? The screens concept is much
cleaner than anything I've seen elsewhere.

Yes, there's some nice stuff that's done in X. Throw enough programmers at
something and you can do miracles: look at DOS! But it's been done despite
the fundamental brain-damage in X, not because of it.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

DUG%CZHETH5A.BITNET@pucc.princeton.edu (10/20/90)

Comment: Mail not returnable through this path, use the list address

Author: AEOLUS::NOTESMAN "Mail-To-Notes Daemon"
Topic 1611.0
Time: 19-OCT-1990 19:05 ZRH

From: Peter da Silva <peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>