[comp.sys.amiga] DNET Hell PART III

jeremym@brahms.udel.edu (Jeremy A Moskowitz) (10/20/90)

Ok... DNET help: Part III:

The people who told me to

zoo x// dnet.zoo

were absolutely correct. This put the file structure
in correctly and everything was dicky. (It took
a lot of time to make a directory, upload all the files
in that directory and repeat 5 times... but,
I did it.)

I ran the MAKE file. It put all the neeto things in the
/bin directory. I was impressed. I tripple checked
my work, and the dnet.servers (unix) was correct,
(for me it's /home/freezer/jeremy/bin) and
my amiga side's dnet.servers were setup right too.

I went to run dnet (as per the directions) and found
out that the blasted binarys (the dnet files, etc)
only had the two protection bits set! I had to set
them from wr to wred before they would run.

I don't know why it was like that. Wierd. Well, anyway...
I turned off the machine, got out all the memory, started
up, (had it mount dpipe,and had all things in the right
	 libs, etc, etc)

and... after getting in to my /bin directory, typed
'dnet'

whamo! the dnet thingie disapeared and FTERM came up
saying "trying to connect..." then after about 40
seconds, the cli said "unable to connect..."

I was heartbroken. I have spent probiably 24 hours
total on this project now, (ironically because
I wanted to save time in up/down/read/writing messages.)

What is wrong? Why were the file bits not set? Why do
I always put 43 in the messages I post?

The above are strange unanserable questions on the universe.

Thanks to everyone who helps me in advance.. I try to send
everyone who helps me a thank you note, but for some
wierd reason, my mail was deleted by accident.

So, thaks for the help so far... now, who's gonna help?

I guess email is prefered to the freezer.it below,
but this was posted on my brahms account. So,
whichever you mail it to will be alright. Just
not both, whoa! Thanks guys.

E Pluribus//  Ok.. Contacts, right: ***NEW ADDRESS** **NEW ADDRESS**
  UNIX   //        Primary NET    : jeremy@freezer.it.udel.edu <jeremy>
        //         Secondary NET  : jeremym@brahms.udel.edu  <jeremym>
    \\ //          Third-i-ary    : jeremy@vax1.udel.edu       <jeremy>
     \X/  Amiga's rule, but then again, who doesn't really know this??
        --->     Know what I hate most? Rhetorical questions.     <---

jgary@ms.uky.edu (James E. Gary) (10/20/90)

jeremym@brahms.udel.edu (Jeremy A Moskowitz) writes:
<with plenty of omissions>
>out that the blasted binarys (the dnet files, etc)
>only had the two protection bits set! I had to set
>them from wr to wred before they would run.

I think this is from zooing under Unix. You can't expect Unix to
understand the Amiga's protection bits. Happens to me all the time.

>whamo! the dnet thingie disapeared and FTERM came up
>saying "trying to connect..." then after about 40
>seconds, the cli said "unable to connect..."

Read the docs carefully. DNET originally required an 8-bit path. The
latest rev allows (actually defaults to) 7 bits. The safe thing is
to run it in 7 bit mode. I start dnet with
DNET -P0 -Z0 -m -X -8
on the amiga side and 'dnet -m0' on
the unix end. Remove the -m on the amiga and -m0 on unix to
use 7 bit mode -- it should be safe.
Another problem I had that sounds similar to your 'cannot connect'
was a lack of PTY's on our system. We had a limited number and
workstation users were really gobbling them up. Each fterm needs
a pty.

>I was heartbroken. I have spent probiably 24 hours
>total on this project now, (ironically because
>I wanted to save time in up/down/read/writing messages.)

Hey, I tried three, count 'em three seperate times over the
course of a year. I would work for a couple of days, get
POed, delete everything and vow not to return. When I finally
got things working, it seemed worth it. You won't want to go
back.

 James Gary, BA,MS,SWM      U. of Kentucky       jgary@ms.uky.edu
"Boy, giraffes are selfish" -- B. Fife

jeremym@brahms.udel.edu (Jeremy A Moskowitz) (10/20/90)

In article <jgary.656387182@s.ms.uky.edu> jgary@ms.uky.edu (James E. Gary) writes:

A follow up on my own article: hehe

>jeremym@brahms.udel.edu (Jeremy A Moskowitz) writes:
><with plenty of omissions>
>>out that the blasted binarys (the dnet files, etc)
>>only had the two protection bits set! I had to set
>>them from wr to wred before they would run.
>
>I think this is from zooing under Unix. You can't expect Unix to
>understand the Amiga's protection bits. Happens to me all the time.

Nope... I unzoo'd it on the Amiga's side. I got the zoo archive
off of uiuc and then unpacked zoo x// 'd it.
It created directorys and set up nicely. Byt
only the rw bits were set. Wierd.. .o-well...

<other really useful advice below, which jeremy is sure
to use!! but that was deleted anyway!>

>Read the docs carefully. DNET originally required an 8-bit path. The
>latest rev allows (actually defaults to) 7 bits. The safe thing is
>to run it in 7 bit mode. I start dnet with
>DNET -P0 -Z0 -m -X -8
>on the amiga side and 'dnet -m0' on
>the unix end. Remove the -m on the amiga and -m0 on unix to
>use 7 bit mode -- it should be safe.

Sounds *GREAT* lemme try that. I'll reply to this post with
my results, or I'll start a DNET IV (AIIIIIIGH)
thigngie..