[comp.sys.amiga] Commodore already has THE BEST AD for MultiMedia!!

sutherla@qtp.ufl.edu (Scott Sutherland) (10/10/90)

Irwin Corey??
	Two weeks ago I attended an on-site (An Amiga dealer site)
demonstration of AmigaVision by a Commodore representative (I do
not recall his name) at Computer's Plus in Daytona Beach, FL.  The
first thing he showed was a 3-4 minute segment from a LaserDisk
developed FOR Commodore by an outside company discussng the Amiga
and Multimedia.  I believe that the speaker was "Professor Irwin
Corey", the guy who pretends to be a professor and acts REALLY
off the wall.  Then there was about 2 minutes of a "grab 'em by the
BA**S" (Not intended to be sexist ;^), fast-paced segment of
Commodore's "view of what MultiMedia is", according to the CBM
rep..  Some shots included a man in the lunar car being buzzed
by several Amiga animated ships (like the ones in BattleStar
Galactica), split screens with stuff happening on them, and a
really nifty piece which started out saying "Would you like to
see every painting in the Louvre?", followed by a 4-way split
screen "screaming" through digitized images of every painting
in the Louvre (each quarter must have been page flipping at
10-20 images per second).  Then a hand appears over the screen
and touches one of the flipping "quarters" of the screen.  One
image is selected.  The hand then proceeds to use the screen as
if it were a touch screen, enlarging the image to full screen,
getting info on it, altering it, etc., all by the touch of a
finger.  Then more whiz-bang fast page flipping of ray-traced
images/animation, digitized images, and lots of other stuff.
This really took my breath away.  The final few seconds were
various images/animations containing the word MultiMedia and
Amiga.  This stuff is GREAT.  There is enough there to make
several 15 or 30 second commercials.  Although the individual
images go by very fast, you still SEE all of them, but
it leaves you wanting more.  Much more.  I asked the Commodore
rep if I could make a video tape copy of this to show the video
group I am in at the University of Florida (Crosscut Film and
Video Society).  There are a lot of people in this club who
are Video and Film majors (one just got a business loan of
$50,000 to open a video studio in Miami!!) who would fall in
love with the Amiga if they saw this!  However, the rep stated
that he had signed a form prohibiting him from distributing
any part of this demo.  :^(  This stuff is mainly for dealer
demonstation and Computer's Plus will have it in a couple of
weeks as well, but he has to sign a similar form.

	Has anyone SEEN this as well?  Anyone from Commodore care
to comment?  I think that CBM has perfect footage for a series of
commercials which would BLOW away the IBM multimedia stuff.  Any
chance of it being used in this way?

Scott Sutherland
sutherla@qtp.ufl.edu

diamond@cbmvax.commodore.com (Howard Diamond - Ed Marketing) (10/12/90)

In article <1164@orange9.qtp.ufl.edu> sutherla@qtp.ufl.edu (Scott Sutherland) writes:
>Irwin Corey??
>	Two weeks ago I attended an on-site (An Amiga dealer site)
>demonstration of AmigaVision by a Commodore representative (I do
>not recall his name) at Computer's Plus in Daytona Beach, FL.  The
>first thing he showed was a 3-4 minute segment from a LaserDisk
>developed FOR Commodore by an outside company discussng the Amiga
>and Multimedia.  I believe that the speaker was "Professor Irwin
>Corey", the guy who pretends to be a professor and acts REALLY
>off the wall.  Then there was about 2 minutes of a "grab 'em by the
>BA**S" (Not intended to be sexist ;^), fast-paced segment of
>Commodore's "view of what MultiMedia is", according to the CBM
>rep..  Some shots included a man in the lunar car being buzzed
>by several Amiga animated ships (like the ones in BattleStar
>Galactica), split screens with stuff happening on them, and a
>really nifty piece which started out saying "Would you like to
>see every painting in the Louvre?", followed by a 4-way split
>screen "screaming" through digitized images of every painting
>in the Louvre (each quarter must have been page flipping at
>10-20 images per second).  Then a hand appears over the screen
>and touches one of the flipping "quarters" of the screen.  One
>image is selected.  The hand then proceeds to use the screen as
>if it were a touch screen, enlarging the image to full screen,
>getting info on it, altering it, etc., all by the touch of a
>finger.  Then more whiz-bang fast page flipping of ray-traced
>images/animation, digitized images, and lots of other stuff.
>This really took my breath away.  The final few seconds were
>various images/animations containing the word MultiMedia and
>Amiga.  This stuff is GREAT.  There is enough there to make
>several 15 or 30 second commercials.  Although the individual
>images go by very fast, you still SEE all of them, but
>it leaves you wanting more.  Much more.  I asked the Commodore
>rep if I could make a video tape copy of this to show the video
>group I am in at the University of Florida (Crosscut Film and
>Video Society).  There are a lot of people in this club who
>are Video and Film majors (one just got a business loan of
>$50,000 to open a video studio in Miami!!) who would fall in
>love with the Amiga if they saw this!  However, the rep stated
>that he had signed a form prohibiting him from distributing
>any part of this demo.  :^(  This stuff is mainly for dealer
>demonstation and Computer's Plus will have it in a couple of
>weeks as well, but he has to sign a similar form.
>
>	Has anyone SEEN this as well?  Anyone from Commodore care
>to comment?  I think that CBM has perfect footage for a series of
>commercials which would BLOW away the IBM multimedia stuff.  Any
>chance of it being used in this way?
>
>Scott Sutherland
>sutherla@qtp.ufl.edu

Glad you liked it.....what you saw was an edited version of the piece
that was put together for the A3000 launch.  We are making it available
to all of our dealers (through the POS system) and the sales force will
also be able to show it at appropriate customer situations.
--

Howard S. Diamond  Director of Education, Commodore Business Machines
1200 Wilson Drive West Chester, Pa, 19380

jmeissen@oregon.oacis.org ( Staff OACIS) (10/14/90)

Doesn't anybody read the net posting guidelines? If you're responding to
a post and you feel you have to include some of the original text to
maintain coherence, then TRIM THE DAMN THING DOWN so you have as little
as possible of the original.

Scrolling through 3 screenfulls of text to find out there's a 3-line
response at the end is a little annoying at 2400 baud!

--
John Meissen .............................. Oregon Advanced Computing Institute
jmeissen@oacis.org        (Internet) | "That's the remarkable thing about life;

amiga@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Paul) (10/14/90)

I have seen the video and was overwellemed by it's power. I am in total
compliance with the idea to make it an ad. The Commodore rep. said that
C= had forgotten to get a few peoples permision when they made it and that
is the cause for it not being released to the public. I think, however that
Commodore should get the approperate premission to use it as an ad, this
is due to the fact that I HAVE NEVER SEEN A BETTER PRESENTATION FILM!!!
The film would have to be shortened of course from 3min to 30sec.

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (10/14/90)

Ahhh, you saw the "Multimedia Live" video, produced by the Nealey Group.

It truly would make a super commercial.  It's a hair over 3 minutes, but could
you see this thing being played during SuperBowl halftime???  It's so
fast-paced and exciting it'd be perfect.  Anyone ever get to see Apple's
"Desktop Media" tape of about 8-9 months ago...you know with the helocar?  Not
much of a comparison, eh?

I think the Nealy Group aught to be hired to produce Commodore's upcoming
>fn(phone garbage) Christmas push...

Sean

  UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc       | B^) VISION  GRAPHICS B^)
  ARPA: !crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc@nosc.mil |     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  INET: seanc@pro-party.cts.com                | Dual A3000 based, custom
                                Help keep the  |    computer graphics,
  RealWorld: Sean Cunningham    competition // | animation, presentation,
      Voice: (512) 994-1602         under \X/  |  simulation,  accident-
                                               |  scene re-creation, and
  ...better life through creative computing... |   recreation...(whew!)

diamond@cbmvax.commodore.com (Howard Diamond - Ed Marketing) writes:
[Ye, gods, Howard, take the time to trim your article inclusions; we've
all read it once, keep only the useful parts!]

>>I asked the Commodore
>>rep if I could make a video tape copy of this to show the video
>>group I am in at the University of Florida (Crosscut Film and
>>Video Society). [...]  However, the rep stated
>>that he had signed a form prohibiting him from distributing
>>any part of this demo.

>Glad you liked it.....what you saw was an edited version of the piece
>that was put together for the A3000 launch.  We are making it available
>to all of our dealers (through the POS system) and the sales force will
>also be able to show it at appropriate customer situations.

May I decry the bonehead stupidity of forbidding dealers from handing
out copies?  WHAT HAS COMMODORE GOT AGAINST FREE ADVERTISING?  Is your
sales line going to plummet because user groups start showing Amiga 500
owners what the A3000 can do?  We don't ask much out here, Howard, but
the tiniest evidence of a shred of thought would be so pleasant for a
change.

How about going back and telling dealers that the _prime_ _purpose_ of
that video is so they can pass it on, not so they can restrict showings
to the few customers who will sit still for an in-showroom viewing.  I'm
sure the control freaks among them will be mollified by the resulting
flood of customers come to see more.

Kent, the man from xanth.

swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) (10/18/90)

In article <1990Oct17.165611.21133@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
>May I decry the bonehead stupidity of forbidding dealers from handing
>out copies?  WHAT HAS COMMODORE GOT AGAINST FREE ADVERTISING?  Is your
>sales line going to plummet because user groups start showing Amiga 500
>owners what the A3000 can do?  We don't ask much out here, Howard, but
>the tiniest evidence of a shred of thought would be so pleasant for a
>change.

Hey, Kent, mellow out, I haven't seen any other significant computer
corporation with vice presidents posting regularly to the net and carrying
on conversations with users.  We don't need to start insulting Howard Diamond,
please!

The reason they can't distribute it is because it contains copyrighted
material that the copyright owners allowed (after the fact) to be used
in-store only, with the provision that it would not be copied or distributed.
It was put together in a big rush for the A3000 launch, and all the i's
were not dotted, nor the t's crossed.

Commodore would get sued big-time if they started giving away copies of
that multimedia demo.

--
            _.
--Steve   ._||__      DISCLAIMER: All opinions are my own.

menzies@CAM.ORG (Stephen Menzies) (10/20/90)

swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) writes:

>In article <1990Oct17.165611.21133@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
>>May I decry the bonehead stupidity of forbidding dealers from handing
>>out copies?  WHAT HAS COMMODORE GOT AGAINST FREE ADVERTISING?  Is your

>The reason they can't distribute it is because it contains copyrighted
>material that the copyright owners allowed (after the fact) to be used
>in-store only, with the provision that it would not be copied or distributed.
>It was put together in a big rush for the A3000 launch, and all the i's
>were not dotted, nor the t's crossed.

	I'd certainly like to know what *version* of the multimedia demo
	we're up to now. The big flashy one that I saw at the launch of
	the A3000, here in Montreal, contained material of mine that was
	not only heavily copyrighted but also exclusively licenced (for
	a fee) for use in another companies tv advertizing campaign. When
	I expressed my displesure (the use of copyrighted material without
	permission and in particular this material 'cause 1> it was licenced
	and 2> I had asked C= if I could borrow a harddrive for a couple
	of weeks to make this specific animation and was denied it) to
	C= Reps at the launch and their remarks were 1> "we really like
	your work and thought you would appreciate the *free* advertizing :-)
	(yes, it was wasn't it) and 2> " if you ever need some help again,
	make an official request and we'll get help to you".
		Well, I did make an *official request for some help a few
	weeks after that, directly to this C= official and four months
	later I got my *official refusal* of any help whatsoever! Nice
	guys eh!
		Curiously enough, though, I did get a call from C= 's
	New York ad agency a couple of weeks after the A3000 launch. They
	wanted my permission to use a specific scene from an animation of
	mine for a multimedia demo that they *were making*. I told them
	that they would first have to clear it with the company I had licenced
	it to, and then speak to me ( don't forget, C= was promising me
	official help at this time). Well, I never heard back.
		SOOOO, if you happen to see a "big refracted, ray-traced
	wave roll by, near the end of one of these *in-store* multi-media
	demos (or any other work of mine being used for commercial demos)
	please let me know 'cause I'm now ready to......

>Commodore would get sued big-time if they started giving away copies of

	....yes, thats the word..sue.

Email: menzies@CAM.ORG