[comp.sys.amiga] NeWS

richard@pnet02.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) (07/24/87)

$100 doesn't seem draconian to me either.

$500 for a Mircocruft windows development kit, now thats draconian.

UUCP: {ihnp4!crash, hplabs!hp-sdd!crash}!gryphon!pnet02!richard
INET: richard@pnet02.CTS.COM

scotty@l5comp.UUCP (Scott Turner) (07/28/87)

In article <1057@gryphon.CTS.COM> richard@pnet02.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>$500 for a Mircocruft windows development kit, now thats draconian.
Naw, draconian is $3500 for a OS/2 developers kit for the PS/2. You can then
debug it for them, report the bugs, and then pay some more money to get to
debug it again in the next round!

Such a deal! :-)

Scott Turner
--
UUCP-stick: stride!l5comp!scotty | If you want to injure my goldfish just make
UUCP-auto: scotty@l5comp.UUCP    | sure I don't run up a vet bill.

robinson@renoir.Berkeley.EDU (Michael Robinson) (07/31/87)

In article <309@l5comp.UUCP> scotty@l5comp.UUCP (Scott Turner) writes:
>In article <1057@gryphon.CTS.COM> richard@pnet02.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>>$500 for a Mircocruft windows development kit, now thats draconian.
>Naw, draconian is $3500 for a OS/2 developers kit for the PS/2. You can then
>debug it for them, report the bugs, and then pay some more money to get to
>debug it again in the next round!

As the originator of the "draconian" charge, I will repeat publicly what
I have sent privately in response to numerous injured golfish.

NeWS binaries for the Sun are, as far as I can tell, an unprecedented
bargain (commercially speaking).  Draconian is, in my mind, selling a
Xylogics controller for almost twice the quantity one price from
Xylogics, with the warantee slashed to 90 days from Xylogics' one year.
Also, in my mind, it is draconian to charge $25,000 for an individual,
non-profit source license, for the express purpose of making a port for
personal use.  A whole University can get a site license for $1000, but
one person has to pay $25,000.  Given that NeWS was originally intended
to be public domain, it seems particularly extreme.

Mike Robinson                                 USENET:  ucbvax!ernie!robinson
                                              ARPA: robinson@ernie.berkeley.edu

mjsagar@sandia.gov (9123 SAGARTZ, MATHIAS J.) (10/14/89)

	Today's Wall Street Journal ran an article "Commodore Turns to
Advertising in Attempt to Improve U.S. Sales."  Text is as follows:

	Commodore International Ltd. unveiled its first significant
ad campaign in years in its most daring move yet to turn arround
lackluster U.S. operations.
	Commodore Chairman Irving Gould has long been skeptical of
advertising.  He fired Tom Rattigan as the personal-computer
maker's chief executive two and a half years ago because, among
other things, he thought Mr. Rattigan was planning to spend too
much money on an advertising campaign.
	But Commodore - whose Commodore 64, a tiny personal
computer, was once a major factor in the market - has seen its
share of the U.S. market nearly disappear from charts of the U.S.
Market.  International Data Corp. said Commodore's share fell to
1% last year from 2.1% in 1987 and 3.6% in 1984.  As a result,
even though the parent company has stabilized after skirting
bankruptcy four years ago, the U.S. subsidiary has only
occasionally had a profitable quarter.  So Harry Copperman, who
became president of Commodore's U.S. operations in May has been
allowed to give advertising a try.
	Commodore, based in West Chester Pa., will spend $15
million on advertising through year end, focused on its Amiga
computer and aimed primarily at the consumer and education
markets.  It is also working on a campaign for early next year to
bolster the Amiga's prospects in the business market.
	"The window of opportunity is getting small," said Mr.
Copperman, a veteran of 22 years with International Business
Machines Corp. and Apple Computer Inc. "I think Irving understands
that this is his last chance to run for the roses."
	Mr. Copperman said he plans to narrow his focus to certain
markets.  Education is a major one, because he thinks IBM hasn't
yet figured out that market and because Apple, the dominant force,
is in a transition to persuade schools to move to the Macintosh
from the Apple II.  Commodore will also push into the home market,
taking advantage of such features as the Amiga's ability to let
people edit home movies.
	Mr. Copperman said he won't try to take on IBM and Apple
head-on in the business market but thinks he can get in through
the back door.  He said the Amiga's slick graphics and ability to
have more than one program running at once lend themselves to
computerized, interactive training programs, for instance.
	"The view used to be that the Amiga was a general-purpose
machine." he said.  "It can be, but it's not ready to be
positioned that way.  There isn't the richness of software yet."
	Mr Copperman also said the company is taking the longer
view on some of the advertising.  He said the advertising isn't
expected to pay for itself in the fourth quarter.  Instead, he
said he's hoping the ads will also help with such long-term
problems as finding more national dealers that will carry the
Amiga, a longstanding concern for Commodore.
	The ads themselves are slick, especially the television
ads.  Created by Messner Vetere Berger Carey Schmetterer, the ads
feature a teen-ager named Stevie, a virtuoso on the Amiga who
shows that it is "The Computer for the Creative Mind."  In one ad,
Stevie's parents answer the door and find three astronauts,
including Buzz Aldrin, who want to talk to Stevie about plans for
the new space station.  Then Los Angeles Dodgers manager Tommy
Lasorta calls for advice on his team's lineup.  The Pointer
Sisters arrive for help on their new album, followed quickly by
composer Burt Bacharach, rock 'n' roll pioneer Little Richard and
finally, formar House speaker Tip O'Neill.
	The print ads are a series of case studies of Amiga users,
including jazz guitarist B.B. King, who writes music on it.

	That's it.  For better of worse we're out of the closet.
Can we perform?  One final comment.  If Apple doesn't vote old
Irving Gould a big special bonus they are a bunch of low life
ungrateful finks!

In <6839@sugar.hackercorp.com>, peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>Well, I seem to recall an AmigaOS implementation being hung up on some sort
>of licensing issues. How does that fit in with the "Open" bit?

I am not sure of the details of the Ameristar port, and why it was hung up, but
I can tell you that Sun did not charge any sort of fee whatsoever for
implementations of NeWS that were completely developed from the spec. The only
charges made for an implementation would have been levied if the Sun source
code itself were used, and the charges would have been for a NeWS source
license. This, to me, seems reasonable, and is similar to what you might expect
from a shareware package (1 price for the executables, additional for the
binary, and no charge for writing a clone of it). 'Open' doesn't necessarily
mean that you give away your work.

-larry

--
It is not possible to both understand and appreciate Intel CPUs.
    -D.Wolfskill

<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

rick@ameristar (Rick Spanbauer) (10/20/90)

In article <6839@sugar.hackercorp.com> peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>Well, I seem to recall an AmigaOS implementation being hung up on some sort
>of licensing issues. How does that fit in with the "Open" bit?
>--
>Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
><peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

We had a working version of NeWS running on the Amiga shortly after Sun
released NeWS (ie pre NeWS 1.1 days).  Our port was an engineering prototype;
it was never released as a product.

					Rick Spanbauer
					Ameristar