[comp.sys.amiga] Help! My clock is moving BACKWARDS!

briang@sdd.hp.com (Brian Gragg) (10/14/90)

Hi all,
  I've got a problem and I'm looking for help.  My A500 clock (internal) is
  jumpping backwards every couple of minutes.  The battery backed up clock
  keeps time just fine.  But once the time has been loaded from there, the
  A500 can't seem to keep track.
  Symptom:  1. Every minute to two, the clock jumps backwards by 15 to 50
	       seconds or more.
            2. When I recycle power the clock comes up OK, but quickly
	       starts with symptom #1.  Even after being off for a while.
  System:  A500, Xetec SCSI hard drive & ram expansion.  Otherwise plain.

  Please reply to me.  It doesn't make my system inoperable, but I'm very
  concerned.  Virusx 4.0 says no virii present, but who knows!

  Thanks much (in advance)
  Brian.

  Brian Gragg    briang@sdd.hp.com   hp-sdd!briang  uunet!ucsd!hp-sdd!briang

bj@cbmvax.commodore.com (Brian Jackson) (10/14/90)

In article <1990Oct13.220412.26145@sdd.hp.com> briang@sdd.hp.com (Brian Gragg) writes:
>  I've got a problem and I'm looking for help.  My A500 clock (internal) is
>  jumpping backwards every couple of minutes.  The battery backed up clock
>  keeps time just fine.  But once the time has been loaded from there, the
>  A500 can't seem to keep track.
>  Symptom:  1. Every minute to two, the clock jumps backwards by 15 to 50
>	       seconds or more.
>            2. When I recycle power the clock comes up OK, but quickly
>	       starts with symptom #1.  Even after being off for a while.
>  Thanks much (in advance)
>  Brian.

As I mentioned in mail to you, my machine started doing this at almost the
same time that yours did.  Today I replaced the two 8520 chips in the thing
and all is back to normal.  So that could be a hint. :) I'm not a hardware guy
so I offer no explanations; only what solved it for me.

bj

 | Brian Jackson  Software Engineer @ Commodore-Amiga Inc.   GEnie: B.J. |
 | bj@cbmvax.commodore.com    or  ...{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!bj           |
 | "Kill a small animal, drink a lite beer."  - R.Williams               |

sdl@linus.mitre.org (Steven D. Litvinchouk) (10/15/90)

In article <1990Oct13.220412.26145@sdd.hp.com> briang@sdd.hp.com (Brian Gragg) writes:

> Hi all,
>   I've got a problem and I'm looking for help.  My A500 clock (internal) is
>   jumpping backwards every couple of minutes.  The battery backed up clock
>   keeps time just fine.  But once the time has been loaded from there, the
>   A500 can't seem to keep track.
>   Symptom:  1. Every minute to two, the clock jumps backwards by 15 to 50
> 	       seconds or more.
> 	    2. When I recycle power the clock comes up OK, but quickly
> 	       starts with symptom #1.  Even after being off for a while.
>   System:  A500, Xetec SCSI hard drive & ram expansion.  Otherwise plain.

I had exactly the same problem with my Amiga 2000.  It turned out to
be a hardware problem--a bad 8520 (???) chip, I think.  The repair
person at the dealership I took the machine to (Memory
Location/Wellesley MA) thought it looked like such a neat effect that
he decided to save the bad chip to demo the effect to some local user
group!

--
Steven Litvintchouk
MITRE Corporation

wilde@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Nick Wilde) (10/15/90)

In article <15146@cbmvax.commodore.com> bj@cbmvax.commodore.com (Brian Jackson) writes:
>In article <1990Oct13.220412.26145@sdd.hp.com> briang@sdd.hp.com (Brian Gragg) writes:
>>  I've got a problem and I'm looking for help.  My A500 clock (internal) is
>>  jumpping backwards every couple of minutes.  The battery backed up clock

>As I mentioned in mail to you, my machine started doing this at almost the
>same time that yours did.  Today I replaced the two 8520 chips in the thing
>and all is back to normal.  So that could be a hint. :) I'm not a hardware guy

Mine has had the same problem for a while now. So will some kind person
explain to me:

What an 8520 chip is.
Where I find it in my B2000
Where I find new ones.
How I go about replacing the old ones.

Thanx - Nick
Nick Wilde                                           wilde@boulder.colorado.edu

Patrick Atoon (10/15/90)

Nick Wilde writes:

> [...lotsa clock problems, 8520 to blame for it...]
>Mine has had the same problem for a while now. So will some kind person
>explain to me:

>What an 8520 chip is.

It's the chip that smokes most often in your computer, otherwise known as
the CIA-chip. You have two of those chips in your computer, they handle
most of the ports on the back of your Amiga (Serial, Parallel, Joystick).
They also seem to handle the clock. They also handle your diskdrive. I don't
know why, but most of my friends having trouble with their Amiga say only
one word to me: 8520 (By the way... my own 8520 is also broken 8-(  ).
Maybe it's because they are connected to the ports without (?) a buffer to
protect them. I dunno, this is pure speculation. There must be a reason why
these chips break down this easily. Maybe Commodore should find some kind
of replacement for these chips.

>Where I find it in my B2000

Dunno, I got a 500. In a 500 they are near to the ports and the diskdrive
(in the upper right corner).

>Where I find new ones.

You can order them in any electronics-shop (At least, here in the Netherlands)

>How I go about replacing the old ones.

If you still got warranty on your computer, let your dealer do it for you
(will cost you, however).
If you got no warranty, open your 2000, find the chips, take 'em out (really
simple) and put the new ones in (maybe you only need to change ONE chip...).
Don't put the chips in the wrong direction... (watch the hole in the chip).
That should do the trick.

>Thanx - Nick

No sweat,
         Patrick

| Patrick Atoon           |  See y'all at Amiga'90 in Koeln (Germany)      |
| University of Nijmegen  |  on 8,9,10,11 november. Be there or be square. |
| E-mail: ovb10@cs.kun.nl |                                                |
+-------------------------+------------------------------------------------+

jcs@crash.cts.com (John Schultz) (10/21/90)

In article <1990Oct13.220412.26145@sdd.hp.com> briang@sdd.hp.com (Brian Gragg) writes:

>Hi all,
>  I've got a problem and I'm looking for help.  My A500 clock (internal) is
>  jumpping backwards every couple of minutes.  The battery backed up clock

  Someone from the future is playing games with your Amiga: Your Amiga has
been in the future, and returned to your present time. "A computer so
advanced, people from the future travel to the past to use it."
  Read the book "Millenium", or rent the film for descriptions of clock
phenomenon.

  John