[comp.sys.amiga] Bridge Games

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (10/13/90)

Ok. There was some interest in bridge games. Ilooked through all my disks
and found lots of card games, but no bridge games.Sorry. If there is a
high enough demand (over 3 requests) I will put the card games I do have
in /incoming/amiga/cardgames in abcfd20. On a different note: Everyone
who was looking for an anti-flicker program look for
/incoming/amiga/antiflicker on abcfd20.

-Joseph Hillenburg

UUCP: ...iuvax!valnet!joseph
ARPA: valnet!joseph@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
INET: joseph@valnet.UUCP

JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) (10/14/90)

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) says:

>Ok. There was some interest in bridge games. I looked through all my
>disks and found lots of card games, but no bridge games.  Sorry.

For those of you who want a good bridge player for Amiga, check out
the Oct. 1990 issue of .info magazine.  On page 39, there is the
following review of "Bridge 6.0" by Artworx:  (reprinted without
permission - you guys are hard to get hold of on the phone!)

"I haven't played much bridge in the past couple of years, (I've
 been too busy blasting aliens instead), but this game brought it
 all right back.  There aren't many bells and whistles, the graphics
 are only adequate, and the sound next to nonexistent.  However,
 cutthroat bridge players don't much care about niceties: they're
 more interested in the game for its own sake.  And 'Bridge 6.0'
 plays a vicious game of either contract or duplicate - I only pulled
 off a couple of finesses in several hours.  Bridge fanatics will
 love it.  -TM"   (Tom Malcolm)

In the same issue there is an ad for DataTime, selling Bridge 6.0 for
$27.00.  Sounds like a deal to me!   :-)

                                                            Kurt

nad@tegra.COM (Nancy Durgin) (10/15/90)

In article <90287.112307JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu> JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) writes:

> [Review of Bridge 6.0 from Artworx, in .info magazine]
>
>"I haven't played much bridge in the past couple of years, (I've
> been too busy blasting aliens instead), but this game brought it
> all right back.  There aren't many bells and whistles, the graphics
> are only adequate, and the sound next to nonexistent.  However,
Agreed about this -- nothing fantastic, but adequate (on the other hand,
graphics aren't the main point of a Bridge game, right?).

> cutthroat bridge players don't much care about niceties: they're
> more interested in the game for its own sake.  And 'Bridge 6.0'
> plays a vicious game of either contract or duplicate - I only pulled
> off a couple of finesses in several hours.  Bridge fanatics will
> love it.  -TM"   (Tom Malcolm)
Umm...  I am by no means an expert, but I have a few Master's points.
And this program does indeed play a 'vicious' game....  If my real
partner did the things this one does, there would indeed be some
nasty words, perhaps even bloodshed, so I guess that's as vicious
as it gets.

It's a good game for a beginning-medium player, and better than nothing
if you have the bridge urge, and not humans around, but don't expect to
hone your skills (especially your bidding skills) too much, as it just
does too many incomprehensibly stupid things for that.

By the way, someone should write Tom Malcolm and point out to him that
whether or not your finesses work is purely the lay of the cards, and says
nothing about the program's skill...

>In the same issue there is an ad for DataTime, selling Bridge 6.0 for
>$27.00.  Sounds like a deal to me!   :-)

$27 is about all this program is worth...  I suppose a *good* bridge
program would cost more.

(followups to comp.sys.amiga.games)

Nancy Durgin          | (Usual disclaimers | Tegra-Varityper, Inc.
tegra!nad@uunet.com   | apply...)          | Billerica, Massachusetts

jcwu@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Jeff Wu) (10/21/90)

>the Oct. 1990 issue of .info magazine.  On page 39, there is the
>following review of "Bridge 6.0" by Artworx:

>                                                And 'Bridge 6.0'
> plays a vicious game of either contract or duplicate - I only pulled
> off a couple of finesses in several hours.  Bridge fanatics will
> love it.  -TM"   (Tom Malcolm)

I have Bridge 6.0 (for the IBM PC, but I think it is the same program)
and I would have to say STAY AWAY.  Besides the absence of features, it
bids a terrible game and plays almost as bad.  And there are many bugs
in the game.  Once it passed my 1NT opening, when the hand was cold for
a slam.  The second hand plays high and the third hand plays low (at times).
It leads kings too often and too often a 5 will win the first trick!

The only reason to get it is if you are starving for a computer partner
to practice declarer's play.  Unfortunately, it is the only bridge program
that I know of for the Amiga.  I got so frustrated with Bridge 6.0 that I
went out and purchase Grand Slam Bridge (for the IBM PC also).  GS Bridge
is a much better program.  You can actually practice with it.

Jeff Wu