[comp.sys.amiga] BS about other computers

martin@cbmvax.commodore.com (Martin Hunt) (10/21/90)

In article <1990Oct18.140520.2260@anduin.cs.liverpool.ac.uk> rkl@anduin.cs.liverpool.ac.uk writes:
>I'm reading this comparison of a Mac vs. an Amiga with a grin on my face.
>You see, I own both an A1000 and a Mac Plus and I can spot major flaws
>in both:
>
>Amiga
>-----
>
>AmigaDOS is the slowest disk filing system (apart from the C64, which I
>hasten to add I never owned - what a pile of junk) I have seen. The layout
>of files is horrendous and even the FFS doesn't improve things by all that
>much.

!!!!!!!!!!!!
While the old filesystem was certainly slow, I think you're mistaken about
FFS.  If your system is slow, it is most likely the drive/controller
combination you are using on your 1000.

Typically, PCs disk controllers range from 100K to 300K bytes/sec.  A good
workstation could hit 1 Mbyte/sec.  My Amiga 3000 does 1.5M bytes/sec.

>Richard K. Lloyd,       *** This is a MicroVAX II running VAX/VMS V5.3-1 ***
>Computer Science Dept., * JANET     : RKL@UK.AC.LIV.CS.AND or              *
>Liverpool University,   *             RKL@000010500211.FTP.MAIL            *
>Merseyside, England,    * Internet  : RKL%and.cs.liv.ac.uk@cunyvm.cuny.edu *

Martin Hunt                     martin@cbmvax.commodore.com
Network Engineer                {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!martin
Commodore-Amiga    "Yeah it is really fast, but is it Yugo compatible?"