[comp.sys.amiga] Workbench Bug

rouaix@inria.UUCP (03/26/87)

I know two reasons for which the workbench may ask for system disk:
	1) the first time you use the RAM disk, AmigaDOS (or whoever) needs
the ram handler on system disk
	2) icons: if you assigned some directories before loading WB, or
if you have a task with current_working_dir to a certain directory, then
workbench will ask you to insert all the disks where these directories
are. (usually, you have in your startup-sequence something like
run POPCLI, so that POPCLI will have DF0: as current_dir).

spencer@eris.UUCP (04/03/87)

In article <424@inria.UUCP> rouaix@inria.UUCP (Francois Rouaix) writes:
>I know two reasons for which the workbench may ask for system disk:
>	1) the first time you use the RAM disk, AmigaDOS (or whoever) needs
>the ram handler on system disk
>	2) icons: if you assigned some directories before loading WB, or
>if you have a task with current_working_dir to a certain directory, then
>workbench will ask you to insert all the disks where these directories
>are. (usually, you have in your startup-sequence something like
>run POPCLI, so that POPCLI will have DF0: as current_dir).

There has to be one other.  Here is the scenereo(?):

Boot with your favorite workbench disk.  Have a copy of workbench in df1:
^D out of the Startup-Sequence.
Assign everything: otherworkbench:
Type "cd otherworkbench:"
Eject the boot disk.
Type "assign", notice there are no references to the boot disk.
Type "loadwb".
You will be requested for the boot disk.

What is it getting off that disk?  What still points to the disk?

I bet all you hard disk manufactures out there have already asked this question!
Randy Spencer      P.O. Box 4542   Berkeley  CA  94704        (415)284-4740
                         I N F I N I T Y                 BBS: (415)283-5469
Now working for          |||||||||||::::... . .                    BUD-LINX
But in no way            |||||||||||||||::::.. .. .
Officially representing  ||||||||||||:::::... ..    ....ucbvax!mica!spencer
                         s o f t w a r e          spencer@mica.berkeley.edu

carolyn@cbmvax.UUCP (04/09/87)

In article <3031@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> spencer@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Randy Spencer) writes:

>There has to be one other.  Here is the scenereo(?):
>
>Boot with your favorite workbench disk.  Have a copy of workbench in df1:
>^D out of the Startup-Sequence.
>Assign everything: otherworkbench:
>Type "cd otherworkbench:"
>Eject the boot disk.
>Type "assign", notice there are no references to the boot disk.
>Type "loadwb".
>You will be requested for the boot disk.
>
>What is it getting off that disk?  What still points to the disk?

   I have a CSYS boot disk for C development and an ASYS boot disk for
assembler development.  Both contain a script which reassigns all logical
assignments to a named volume.  I use the script when I switch between
the C and assembler environments.

   I can execute the swap script and then do a loadwb.  The system does
not ask me to replace the original boot disk.

   You probably have a lock on something on the original boot disk.
Such a lock would probably cause WB to request the disk before putting
up an icon for it (it puts up an icon for any disk there's a lock on).
The lock could happen if one of the path commands in the startup-sequence
got executed before your CTRL-D.  Those paths are stored as locks and
therefore do not change just because logical assignments did.

   Try doing a PATH RESET (and if you wish, new PATH ADDs for directories
on the otherworkbench) before doing your loadwb.

Carolyn Scheppner -- CBM   >>Amiga Technical Support<<
                     UUCP  ...{allegra,caip,ihnp4,seismo}!cbmvax!carolyn
                     PHONE 215-431-9180

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (07/18/87)

In article <3031@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> spencer@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Randy Spencer) writes:
>In article <424@inria.UUCP> rouaix@inria.UUCP (Francois Rouaix) writes:
>>I know two reasons for which the workbench may ask for system disk:
>>	1) the first time you use the RAM disk, AmigaDOS (or whoever) needs
>>the ram handler on system disk
>>	2) icons: if you assigned some directories before loading WB, or
>There has to be one other.  Here is the scenereo(?):
>
>Boot with your favorite workbench disk.  Have a copy of workbench in df1:

>Type "loadwb".
>You will be requested for the boot disk.
>
>What is it getting off that disk?  What still points to the disk?

Make sure that you do a path reset before you type the loadwb.
That way, Workbench snapshots the current paths when you do a LoadWB,
for use in each CLI that you fire up from Workbench.  This involves
looking down the path.

(The things to reassign are l: s: libs: devs: fonts: sys: c:, and the path)

			andy finkel
--
andy finkel		{ihnp4|seismo|allegra}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"The goal of Computer Science is to build something that will last at
least until we've finished building it."

anthes@geocub.UUCP (Franklin Anthes) (09/21/87)

  I just noticed a bug in WB 33.56 (also in 33.47). The kickstart version is
33.180.

  Here's the way it goes:

   Boot WB with a disk called A sitting in df1:.
   wait until first access on df1: is done.
   put a disk called B in df1:
   wait until WB is done loading.
   And voila WB shows icons for both A and B.  But the best is yet to come...
   Double click on A icon, WB opens window with files from B!!
   Double click on B icon, WB opens window with files from B. (At least thats
   right!)

   By fooling around a little with thes strange disks, you can invoke the Guru!

 Just thought you'd like to know.

--

	Frank Anthes-Harper
Usenet: ....!ucbvax!decvax!seismo!mcvax!inria!geocub!anthes

jdp@caleb.UUCP (Jim Pritchett) (10/21/90)

[]

I ran into a strange Workbench bug tonight.  I dragged an icon off my
HD window to drop it onto a floppy.  I missed the floppy icon due to
crowding, and it ended up on the Workbench background (i.e. where the
disk icons show up.)  So I dragged it again and got it copied onto the
floppy.  All right so far.  Well, I didn't quite trust the WB, so I
dragged it back into its original window.  Then I closed the window
and reopened it to make sure that the icon was in the correct place.
No icon!  So I checked the CLI and it was still in the proper directory.
What happenned to my icon?  I never snapshotted it, so it should have
been visible in its original location.  Is this a known bug?

I 'fixed' the 'problem' by copying a fresh .info file over the old one,
but why should I have had to do that?  Where did WB think the icon was?
I guess I should have looked at the .info file, but I didn't.

Although the WB has been fairly solid for quite some time, this is the
kind of thing that makes me distrust the WB.  How is the oft rumored
2.0x WB.  Is it solid?

Anybody out there know what happenned?

--

                                                Jim Pritchett

UUCP:  texsun.central.sun.com!letni!rwsys!caleb!jdp
 or    letni.lonestar.org!dms3b1!caleb!jdp