[comp.sys.amiga] PopUpMenu -- Am I missing something?

king@motcid.UUCP (Steven King) (10/19/90)

After seeing people here rave about PopUpMenu, I decided to ftp the silly
thing and see for myself.  (Forgive the untimeliness of this post, my
net.access was cut off for two weeks.)

It looks from other people's posts that PopUpMenu should be able to take
(just about) any existing program's menu bar and give it as a popup where
the mouse is located.  Sounds great!  That'd be really helpful!  But when
I unpacked it the only executable I saw was a demo showing how you could
use popup menus IN YOUR OWN APPLICATIONS.  Not a word about using it with
existing software.

Are we talking about the same utility here?  I got this off of Fred Fish #096,
from ux1.cso.uiuc.edu.  Am I missing something vital or do I have the wrong
program altogether?

--
---------------------------------------------------+---------------------------
The impossible we do immediately.  Miracles        | Steven King  708-540-6771

smp@myamiga.UUCP (Steve Palm) (10/19/90)

 SK> It looks from other people's posts that PopUpMenu should be able to take
 SK> (just about) any existing program's menu bar and give it as a popup where
 SK> the mouse is located.  Sounds great!  That'd be really helpful!  But when
 SK> I unpacked it the only executable I saw was a demo showing how you could

 Well, that is what the version that *I* have does.  I mean, it is the full
program that will intercept any RMB sequence (or Menu rendering, actually) and
make it pop up where your mouse pointer is.

 The only problem that I have encountered with PopMenu is this:  While running
Professional Page 1.3, I kept getting NUMEROUS system crashes.  I thought that
perhaps PPage was terribly buggy.  Just for kicks and giggles I took all the
'enhancement' utilities I run out of the system (PopMenu, PopCLI, etc.).
PPage never crashed again (well, almost =^).   I put them back in, one by one,
and found that PopMenu caused the crashes.

 Is anyone aware of a bug fix?

--
     ///  AMIGA: | Steve Palm, Sysop of FidoNet node 1:11/16
    ///  FOR THE | UUCP: {gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!myamiga!smp

bard@jessica.stanford.edu (David Hopper) (10/21/90)

In article <62.271FCC36@myamiga.UUCP> smp@myamiga.UUCP (Steve Palm) writes:

> SK> It looks from other people's posts that PopUpMenu should be able to take
> SK> (just about) any existing program's menu bar and give it as a popup where
> SK> the mouse is located.  Sounds great!  That'd be really helpful!  But when
> SK> I unpacked it the only executable I saw was a demo showing how you could
>
> Well, that is what the version that *I* have does.  I mean, it is the full
>program that will intercept any RMB sequence (or Menu rendering, actually) and
>[...] found that PopMenu caused the crashes.
>
> Is anyone aware of a bug fix?

The confusion here is between two different archives:  PopMenu gives you a
number of programming hooks written in C and ASM (I believe) that allow you
to program popmenus (via Sun) directly into your own projects.  PopUpMenu,
however, is an external executable that does the job for *any* application.
The version that I have is 3.2, and it is rock-solid.  The only time it has
crashed was in an *extremely* low memory situation.

>     ///  AMIGA: | Steve Palm, Sysop of FidoNet node 1:11/16
Dave Hopper      |      ///  Yesterday, CS.           | Academic Info Resources
                 |     ///    Today, Anthropology.    | Mac & UNIX Consultant
bard@jessica.    | \\\///                             | "Somebody get me a job
   Stanford.EDU  |  \XX/ Tomorrow... bleeding ulcers. | with a computer I LIKE"

ronkko@cc.helsinki.fi (10/21/90)

In article <62.271FCC36@myamiga.UUCP>, smp@myamiga.UUCP (Steve Palm) writes:

>  The only problem that I have encountered with PopMenu is this:  While running
> Professional Page 1.3, I kept getting NUMEROUS system crashes.  I thought that
> perhaps PPage was terribly buggy.  Just for kicks and giggles I took all the
> 'enhancement' utilities I run out of the system (PopMenu, PopCLI, etc.).
> PPage never crashed again (well, almost =^).   I put them back in, one by one,
> and found that PopMenu caused the crashes.

I have noticed the same problem with PPage 1.3. It seems that PopUpMenu
fragments Chip memory very efficiently when some items from the menu are
repeated several times. That is a pity, because PopMenu would save your time
when you e.g. have to make some change to all boxes on the page, by selecting
them one by one and choosing every time the same menu/submenu item (I hope the
PPage 2.0 will have a more elegant way of doing 'collective' changes:-).

  Reijo Ronkko     University of Helsinki, Dept. of General Microbiology,
                   Mannerheimintie 172, 00300 Helsinki, FINLAND
                   Fax +358-0-4735426

                   Ronkko@cc.helsinki.fi