[comp.sys.amiga] Openlook

riley@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Daniel S. Riley) (10/22/90)

In article <9948@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> msawyer@hokulea.UUCP (Michael Sawyer (REU)) writes:
>Much better is their new OpenLook stuff (which incorporates NeWS as
>well).  The NeWS in this version seems to have the bugs fixed, and
>doesn't force you to use the NeWS terminal windows.  (Which if you
>make small, the text size gets small, still 80 col by 24 lines...)
>
>Although I am not sure exactly we got on this topic in c.s.a.t, but I
>will say that overall I have liked OpenLook better than the Amiga
>windowing system.  I have only played with the 2.0 windows a little
>bit (too busy with other stuff to mess with that).

Just to bring this full circle...

Jim Mackraz has said (on BIX) that he looked at the OpenLook spec
fairly carefully when he was doing the low-level stuff for 2.0.
A quote:

  "Some of the technical thoughts that came up in considering an
   Intuition-friendly implementation of openlook are manifested in
   boopsi.  Excluding pop-up menus, I think there's pretty fair
   support for a level one implementation, and with accompanying
   kernel work (intuition/layers/graphics) it would be quite
   practical, as a programming project."

so jimm apparently likes OpenLook too...

-Dan Riley (riley@theory.tn.cornell.edu, cornell!batcomputer!riley)
-Wilson Lab, Cornell University