[comp.sys.amiga] SEKA ASSEMBLER

JK829055@pucal.bitnet (Jim Karczewski, Programmer -- TTR Development, Inc.) (10/21/90)

Hello,

        I have Heard Someone mention the SEKA Assember/editor/Dissasembler
Package.  Is this Commercial, ShareWare, PD, FW?????  If it is not commercial
What If an FTP's Can it be found On?

                                        Thanks,
                                                Jim Karczewski

wdao@girtab.usc.edu (Walter Dao) (10/21/90)

The story of the SEKA Assembler is the same as the one of the SoundTracker.
At first, it was a Commercial program. Amiga hack groups then soon found out
that it was pretty neat and Fast to use it to write their demos. (instead of
using the official (and very slow) assembler). But it had some bugs and
lacked some features. It was then up to them to reverse enginner the prg and
add the missing feature, fix the bugs, put their names in the prg.
As I can tell , there are as many versions/updates of the SEKA assembler as
there are versions of the NOISE/SOUND Tracker.

The SEKA Assembler interface is very basic, mostly each command can be
accessed by a keystroke (like MERLIN on the c-64) . Not very intuitive.
(but it's like EMACS, once you got all the commands, it's like a second
nature).

2) By the way, for you people living in the L.A. area, go to the store called
   Creative Computers. The one in Santa Monica. (the little store),
   (the one in Hawtorne is much much bigger and has way more 'wares , looks
    better and the people there are pretty dynamic amiga lovers not some
    old Hag with her pet U2 exiled .)
  They have in the MUSIC and ART section a few copies of the original
  SOUNDTRACKER V1.0 for sale. (wow !!!! v1.0 what an antique)
  (I wonder if it will work on my NTSC machine). (The "Imported" copy I had
   just gurued after a selection was made) .
  ANyway, I am happy with my NoiseTracker (>2.0 soon I heard ...)

						Walt.

ludde@nada.kth.se (Erik Lundevall) (10/22/90)

In article <12663@chaph.usc.edu> wdao@girtab.usc.edu (Walter Dao) writes:

>The story of the SEKA Assembler is the same as the one of the SoundTracker.
>At first, it was a Commercial program. Amiga hack groups then soon found out
>that it was pretty neat and Fast to use it to write their demos. (instead of
>using the official (and very slow) assembler). But it had some bugs and
>lacked some features. It was then up to them to reverse enginner the prg and
>add the missing feature, fix the bugs, put their names in the prg.

It still is a commercial program. I don't know about the US, but here you
can go to any computer store carrying Amiga products and buy it for around
$140. A waste of money in my opinion.
I wouldn't buy one of these "reverse engineered" versions either, even if
they were available for sale. IMHO, the Seka environment would fit better
on a singletasking computer with no window system.
But many seem to like that environment.

For anyone interested in buying an assembler, I'd rather recommend HiSoft
Devpac or ArgAsm.

--
-Erik Lundevall                   ludde@adder.bula.se | ludde@nada.kth.se

n074ev@tamuts.tamu.edu (Christopher Walton) (10/22/90)

Seka was used to MAKE Soundtracker and Noisetracker!

Hmmmm.... What a coincidence!

  Christopher Walton                  :    n07ev@tamuts.tamu.edu
    'To LIVE is to use an AMIGA!'     :    cmw1725@tamvenus.tamu.edu