[comp.sys.amiga] CAD for Amiga, actually much simpler..

consp13@bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu (Marcus Cannava) (10/02/90)

To the Net community..

	Lots of discussion has been made about advanced CAD programs for the
Amiga.. I was wondering if there is a program that is simply capable of
line drawings and Ami font support (i.e. for technical diagrams with
nice text) similar to Mac's MacDraw series of programs.

	CAD programs are close, but I haven't seen one yet that uses fonts
other than those suitable for 'plotting' (i.e. "line fonts"). Plus, none
that I've seen have the gridding (i.e. align to each other, to grid,
etc.) capabilities MacDraw has, either.

				Any suggestions greatly appreciated,

						\marc

'I do not fear computers.. I fear the lack of them'  -- I. Asimov
									RNM

birjt@cc.nu.oz.au (10/15/90)

In article <4137@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu>, consp13@bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu (Marcus Cannava) writes:
> To the Net community..
>
> 	Lots of discussion has been made about advanced CAD programs for the
> Amiga.. I was wondering if there is a program that is simply capable of
> line drawings and Ami font support (i.e. for technical diagrams with
> nice text) similar to Mac's MacDraw series of programs.
>
> 	CAD programs are close, but I haven't seen one yet that uses fonts
> other than those suitable for 'plotting' (i.e. "line fonts"). Plus, none
> that I've seen have the gridding (i.e. align to each other, to grid,
> etc.) capabilities MacDraw has, either.
>
> 				Any suggestions greatly appreciated,
>
> 						\marc
>

> 'I do not fear computers.. I fear the lack of them'  -- I. Asimov
> 									RNM

Hello,
     I will have a go at this one.

     I used to HAVE to use MacDr*w here to prepare the displays for
conferences, teaching, etc. But now I use PageStream, I have found that
 it will do everthing that MacDr*w will do and then some. It will
align objects vertically, horizontally, using the centre or either edge, it
has grid snap, fonts may be resized on the fly to any point size, font
attributes may be varied within a block of text, the text can be imported
from most of the popular word processors without loosing the formatting.
Objects can be positioned by co-ordinates, on and on........ It also will
clone small objects, something that always gave MacDr*w indigestion, and
 it has user vaiable zoom. The only feature that it lacked was the ability to
print large areas onto A4 pages which could them be assembled as a mosaic (?)
 but this is fixed in v2.
      Anyway, enough rambling, to put a point on this thing, they bought a
IIcx, here for, amoung other things, me to do their displays, but I still
prefer to do them on my Amiga at home.

                                Have fun,

                                             Russell

fhwri%CONNCOLL.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (10/15/90)

?
(oops...new BITNET user here)
I completely agree about PageStream. Its structured drawing tools are by far the
easiest-to-use I've seen (and that includes ProDraw, XCad, and Adobe Illus-
trator). Its circle and oval arc tools in particular are extremely easy to
figure out and operate. The 2.0 version of PageStream also has Compugraphic
font support (just like ProPage), and, on my machine, crashes a LOT less
often than ProPage 1.3 does.

        I realize that the earlier versions of PageStream got a lot of
well-deserved flaming over the many bugs and poorly-designed features, but
Soft-Logik has done a terrific job over the last year of fixing things.
PageStream 2.0 can hold its head up quite well next to PageMaker and
Quark Express, and (I think) it beats ProPage 1.3 hands down. (ProPage 2.0
is about 6 weeks from shipping, BTW, but it still uses those ^%$%$#@ Bezier
curves...)
                                                --rw
                                                fhwri@conncoll.bitnet

amiga@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Paul) (10/16/90)

I have heard that New Horizons will be putting out a very nice structured
Drawing program like Macintrash Draw.

jerry@truevision.com (Jerry Thompson) (10/17/90)

I have been using PageStream 1.8 since it first came out and I love it!
I never tried the earlier versions, so I wasn't scared off.  I read the
specs for 1.8 and some pre-release reports and thought if it worked at
all I had to have it.  I have not been disappointed.  I have done freelance
layout and graphics work using Illustrator, PageMaker 2.0/3.0 (Mac and PC),
MacDraw and MacDraw II, Canvas 2.0, and Professional Page. I found
PageStream 1.8 to be the best.  I have NOT used Quark, CorelDraw, or
Professional Draw, so I can't compare those and they are supposedly
excellent packages.  Of course, I haven't tried PageStream 2.0 yet either...

--
Jerry Thompson                 |     // checks  ___________   | "I'm into S&M,
"What I want to know is, have  | \\ //   and    |    |    |   |  Sarcasm and

fhwri%CONNCOLL.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (10/18/90)

I agree; Pagestream is a winner. 2.0 is even better than 1.8, although
the Compugraphic fonts are a LOT slower printing to the screen. The dotmatrix ou
though, is MUCH faster than ProPage. If you're interested in DTP on the
Amiga, by all means give Pagestream a look.
                                                --rw
                                                fhwri@conncoll.bitnet

JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) (10/22/90)

In article <33798@nigel.ee.udel.edu>, fhwri%CONNCOLL.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu
says:

>I agree; Pagestream is a winner. 2.0 is even better than 1.8, although
>the Compugraphic fonts are a LOT slower printing to the screen. The
>dotmatrix output is MUCH faster than ProPage. If you're interested in
>DTP on the Amiga, by all means give Pagestream a look.

Please address the problem with Compugraphic font incompatibility.  I
am of the understanding that, even though I own ProPage 1.31 and have
a lot of Compugraphic fonts for it, they cannot be used with PageStream
2.0?  I have to buy the same fonts all over again, only in Pagestream
format??

                                                            Kurt
|| Kurt Tappe   (215) 363-9485  || Amigas, Macs, IBM's, C-64's, NeXTs, ||
|| 184 W. Valley Hill Rd.       ||  Apple ]['s....  I use 'em all.     ||
|| Malvern, PA 19355-2214       ||  (and in that order too!   ;-)      ||
||  jkt100@psuvm.psu.edu         --------------------------------------||
||  jkt100@psuvm.bitnet  jkt100%psuvm.bitnet@psuvax1  QLink: KurtTappe ||

In article <90294.202528JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu> JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) writes:

>Please address the problem with Compugraphic font incompatibility.  I
>am of the understanding that, even though I own ProPage 1.31 and have
>a lot of Compugraphic fonts for it, they cannot be used with PageStream
>2.0?  I have to buy the same fonts all over again, only in Pagestream
>format??

	The person who told you that was wrong. The same
compugraphic files can be used by Pagestream. PgS can also use
Adobe Type 1 fonts.

>                                                            Kurt
>--
>|| Kurt Tappe   (215) 363-9485  || Amigas, Macs, IBM's, C-64's, NeXTs, ||
>|| 184 W. Valley Hill Rd.       ||  Apple ]['s....  I use 'em all.     ||
>|| Malvern, PA 19355-2214       ||  (and in that order too!   ;-)      ||
>||  jkt100@psuvm.bitnet  jkt100%psuvm.bitnet@psuvax1  QLink: KurtTappe ||

	-- Ethan

Ethan Solomita: es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu

GorbachevAwards++;