[comp.sys.amiga] Atari ST emulator for the Amiga: Atari's position

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (10/17/90)

Some people have expressed confusion over the legality of the "Atari
emulator" now floating around the net for the Amiga.  I understand that
Atari's position is that it is a grave and flagrant violation of
Atari's copyright, and we are asking everybody, especially archive
sites and BBSes, to stop distributing it and remove all copies they
have.  I don't know why people think this *could* be legal: it's a
derivative work from Atari's copyrighted material, and Atari intends to
protect its copyrights.

Some people have expressed dismay that their favorite archive or BBS
might get in trouble.  In my *personal* opinion, the operators of these
sites bring doom upon themselves by making uploads immediately
available for downloading, with no checks on the content of the
uploads.  I believe that only a Common Carrier, such as the phone
company or an airline, can legally be blind to the content of the
information or goods they transport and distribute. Everybody else is
responsible for exercising due diligence to ensure that no illegal
activity is going on using their equipment or service.  Since this
program is prima facie a copyright violation, a duly diligent sysop
would not have made it available for downloads.

Finally, some people have expressed the opinion that Atari should
be a "good guy" and take no action concerning this.  That's nonsense.
If you don't vigorously protect your copyrights, you lose them.  Ignoring
this could mean relinquishing all rights to protect TOS from copying
and modification.

This message represents my opinions and things I believe to be true,
but it is not to be considered a legal opinion from Atari's legal
department or anybody else but me.

				-- Allan Pratt
				   Systems Software Engineer
				   Atari Computer Corp.
				   ...ames!atari!apratt

I am sorry but I have to concur with Atari's position. These emulators are
indeed a flagrant copyright violation, and the BBS sysops should be held
responsible and liable for their action of not policing the download
of software from their machines.

-- Marco

"Xerox sues somebody for copying?" -- David Letterman

aiajms@castle.ed.ac.uk (-=Andy=-) (10/18/90)

In this  months Amiga Format magazine there is a review of the Medusa
ST emulation system. This comprises of a hardware gizzmo to emulate the
STs I/O and a software emulator. From what I have seen of the review it
does not fair much better than the version on xanth.

Now for the interesting part. The method of getting TOS is to go to an
ST and use an included utility called gettos. This has the effect of
copying the TOS from ROM into an image file. This company is about to
market this product! I am quite sure they would not be so naive as to
market a utility of this sort without checking the legal circumstances
behind it!!!

I personally agree with what a guy said on comp.sys.atari.st concerning
Apple and GNU. GNU do not port their stuff onto Apple because of the
aggressive attitude they take to people emulating their products (NOT
PIRACY WHICH IS QUITE DIFFERENT) and the law suits that follow. If the
emulator contains an image of TOS then it is illegal. If however it is
merely functionally isomorphic to the original then I personally (before
the flames come rolling in this is MY opinion)  congratulate the
programmer on a well written piece of software.

One last twist! As a footnote in Amiga Format stated, there is a German
software ST emulator coming out called Chameleon. I know nothing about
this except it is meant to cost 30 pounds (=$60) whereas the Medusa
hardware/software emulator costs 200 pounds (=$400). I hope the atari
emulator on xanth is not the same as this reported chameleon. Things are
starting to get out of hand...lock up your daughters ...call in the judges, the
lawyers and the House Of Lords! Nobody is safe!!!!!!

Well thats my halfpenny !

-=Andy=-

PS the ST version of SIM City runs ok on the emulator!

Name  : A Mcsherry
Degree: Computer Science & Artificial Intelligence		   //
Univ  : University Of Edinburgh, Scotland.		       \\ //
Mail  : aiajms%uk.ac.ed.castle@nsfnet-relay			\X/
Motd  : Don't be STingy, buy a decent computer         -->     AMIGA

stephen@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Steve Whitney) (10/18/90)

In article <6737@castle.ed.ac.uk> aiajms@castle.ed.ac.uk (-=Andy=-) writes:
[some opinions and descriptions deleted]
>I personally agree with what a guy said on comp.sys.atari.st concerning
>Apple and GNU. GNU do not port their stuff onto Apple because of the
>aggressive attitude they take to people emulating their products (NOT
>PIRACY WHICH IS QUITE DIFFERENT) and the law suits that follow.

Nope.  As I understand it, the GNU issue had _nothing_ to do with emulation.
It was a result of Apple's look-and-feel bull regarding the appearance
of competing products such as MS Windows, HP New Wave, and earlier, GEM.
Apple _popularized_ the use of a mouse and windows, but did not _invent_ it.

Although the Free Software Foundation (creators of GNU and the associated
utilities) do not claim a copyright to their work (in fact, they have a
"copyleft"), they do not oppose others protecting their work.  Apple
has not bothered those who market  Macintosh emulators based on legal copies
of their ROMs.

>-=Andy=-
>

>PS the ST version of SIM City runs ok on the emulator!

>Name  : A Mcsherry
>Degree: Computer Science & Artificial Intelligence		   //
>Univ  : University Of Edinburgh, Scotland.		       \\ //
>Mail  : aiajms%uk.ac.ed.castle@nsfnet-relay			\X/
>Motd  : Don't be STingy, buy a decent computer         -->     AMIGA

Steve Whitney   "It's never _really_ the last minute"       (())_-_(())
UCLA Comp. Sci. Grad. Student                                | (* *) |
Internet: stephen@cs.ucla.edu              UCLA Bruin-->    {  \_@_/  }
GEnie:    S.WHITNEY                                           `-----'

bartonr@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Robert L Barton) (10/18/90)

stephen@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Steve Whitney) cross-posts:
> Although the Free Software Foundation (creators of GNU and the associated
> utilities) do not claim a copyright to their work (in fact, they have a
> "copyleft"), they do not oppose others protecting their work.

  GNU Emacs is "Copyright (C) 1988 Free Software Foundation, Inc.".  That
sounds like a copyright to me.

jwright@cfht.hawaii.edu (Jim Wright) (10/18/90)

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) writes:

 > Atari ST emulator for the Amiga: Atari's position

 > This message represents my opinions and things I believe to be true,
 > but it is not to be considered a legal opinion from Atari's legal
 > department or anybody else but me.

Obvious conclusion: Allan Pratt *IS* Atari.

--
Jim Wright
jwright@cfht.hawaii.edu

gunda@cbmehq.UUCP (Gunda O'Neal ESCO) (10/18/90)

In article <6737@castle.ed.ac.uk> aiajms@castle.ed.ac.uk (-=Andy=-) writes:

>One last twist! As a footnote in Amiga Format stated, there is a German
>software ST emulator coming out called Chameleon. I know nothing about
>this except it is meant to cost 30 pounds (=$60) whereas the Medusa
>hardware/software emulator costs 200 pounds (=$400). I hope the atari

If you talk about the MEDUSA from MacroSystem (ex- Combitec), the price
is DM 436,00, that's appr. $ 290,00.
(as per Developers Application Form June 1990)

--
Gunda O'Neal, Assistant
Commodore European Support & Coordination Office (ESCO)

scott@tab00.larc.nasa.gov (Scott Yelich) (10/19/90)

>   does not fair much better than the version on xanth.
[DELETED]
>   emulator on xanth is not the same as this reported chameleon. Things are
>   starting to get out of hand...lock up your daughters ...call in the judges

I just want to clear things up....

xanth.cs.odu.edu is no longer the Amiga archive site (that it used to be).
I could not find any atari emulator on xanth.cs.odu.edu...

However, there used to be an apple][ emulator and root@xanth.cs.odu.edu DID
receive a letter from apple.com  :-(

--
Signature follows. [Skip now]

 Scott D. Yelich                         scott@[xanth.]cs.odu.edu [128.82.8.1]
 After he pushed me off the cliff, he asked me, as I fell, ``Why'd you jump?''
 Administrator of:    Game-Design requests to <game-design-request@cs.odu.edu>
 ODU/UNIX/BSD/X/C/ROOT/XANTH/CS/VSVN/

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (10/19/90)

aiajms@castle.ed.ac.uk (-=Andy=-) writes:
>[Medusa's] method of getting TOS is to go to an
>ST and use an included utility called gettos. This has the effect of
>copying the TOS from ROM into an image file.

That does not constitute legal use of the TOS operating system.

>This company is about to
>market this product! I am quite sure they would not be so naive as to
>market a utility of this sort without checking the legal circumstances
>behind it!!!

You're the one being naive.  They certainly could go to market with a
product without checking on its legality.  Or, they could have checked,
but decided the potential profit is worth the risk.

>If the
>emulator contains an image of TOS then it is illegal.

It does, so it is.

I think people should get this kind of elementary fact straight before
commenting on Atari's position.  I am tired of "I don't know anything
about it, but here's my opinion" postings.

david@doe.utoronto.ca (David Megginson) (10/19/90)

In article <40310@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> stephen@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Steve Whitney) writes:
>In article <6737@castle.ed.ac.uk> aiajms@castle.ed.ac.uk (-=Andy=-) writes:
>>GNU do not port their stuff onto Apple because of the
>>aggressive attitude they take to people emulating their products (NOT
>>PIRACY WHICH IS QUITE DIFFERENT) and the law suits that follow.
>
>Nope.  As I understand it, the GNU issue had _nothing_ to do with emulation.

Emulating as in "copying the look and feel," I'd imagine. Certainly, Gnu does
believe in free software (free from restrictions, not free in price), but
their beef with Apple is that they have tried to keep other people from using
the GUI concept at all, not that they have tried to keep people from
pirating their own software. Most Gnu stuff is reverse-engineered from Unix
tools, but none of it is stolen. If (to give a hardware example) Atari
decided to run off and sue any micro supplier who sold PCs with a MIDI
port built-in (an original selling point for the ST), the FSF might get
upset.

Atari has a right to protect its software, just like Apple does. I like
free software and free movies, but I don't get upset because Cineplex
keeps me from sneaking in.

David Megginson
/  David Megginson                      david@doe.utoronto.ca          /
/  Centre for Medieval Studies          meggin@vm.epas.utoronto.ca     /

hojo@cbnewsl.att.com (HC Johnson) (10/19/90)

In article <27583@usc.edu>, papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
> I am sorry but I have to concur with Atari's position. These emulators are
> indeed a flagrant copyright violation, and the BBS sysops should be held
> responsible and liable for their action of not policing the download
> of software from their machines.

I think everyone is forgetting what's really happening.

There is no problem with an Amiga Emulating an Atari.  Its no different
that a ST emulating a MAC or PC.

If the Amiga Emulator simply read the original Atari TOS on a floppy (1.0)
this would be just the same as PC_ditto booting a IBM DOS Disk.

The subtlety lies in whether the ROMS are accessed (such as with Spectre)
or copied to a different media (a floppy disk).  It is this copying that
is prevented by the Copywrite.  If someone were to market a cartridge
to hold the TOS ROMS then it would be both neat and leagle.

Howard Johnson
ATT BELL LABS
att!lzsc!hcj
hcj@lzsc.att.com

v092mgp5@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Scott K Wood) (10/19/90)

>I think people should get this kind of elementary fact straight before
>commenting on Atari's position.  I am tired of "I don't know anything
>about it, but here's my opinion" postings.

>Opinions expressed above do not necessarily	-- Allan Pratt, Atari Corp.
>reflect those of Atari Corp. or anyone else.	  ...ames!atari!apratt

   Regarding this entire thread of messages...Does it really matter what
Atari's position is about the emulator?  Whether the emulator is illegal
or not doesn't change the fact that there are thousands of potential
users of the emulator, and since there is no DEFINITIVE proof that it is
illegal, those same users will most likely feel no guilt in using the
emulator.  As far as I am concerned, the program is a novelty, something to
show you "ST friends" when they start bad-mouthing the Amiga.  As far as
usefullness: Why do Amiga users want to emulate an ST?  There is NOTHING the
ST can do that the Amiga can't do hundreds of times better.  That's why you
bought the Amiga, right?

                                            Scott
                                BITNET: v092mgp5@ubmvs.bitnet
                              INTERNET : v092mgp5@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu

dac@ukc.ac.uk (David Clear) (10/19/90)

Atari's position on this matter is correct. Although it may be considered
flattering for someone to emulate an ST on an Amiga (with all the "mine
is better than yours" type arguments around), the software copyright position
is clear - that software is illegal.

If you wrote a commercial piece of software and someone, without your
permission, ported this software to another machine would you not be
phoning your lawyer the instance you discovered it? Even worse, if your
software wasn't even ported - just binary copied and the target machine
hacked a bit so your software would work...

Whether or not there is a potential for loss of profit is not really the
issue. The issue is software copyright which is being breached. End of story.

Dave.
--
% cc life.c                      | David Clear dac@ukc.ac.uk +44 227 764000x7592
% a.out                          | Local Area Networks, Computing Laboratory,

swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) (10/19/90)

In article <5799@harrier.ukc.ac.uk> dac@ukc.ac.uk (David Clear) writes:
>If you wrote a commercial piece of software and someone, without your
>permission, ported this software to another machine would you not be
>phoning your lawyer the instance you discovered it? Even worse, if your
>software wasn't even ported - just binary copied and the target machine
>hacked a bit so your software would work...

No, it doesn't matter, as long as the user has purchased the commercial
software from the true owner of the copyright, or from someone else who
got it legitimately (and didn't keep any illegal copies of it).  There is
no provision in copyright law saying that software may only be run on a
particular machine.  If I purchase a legal copy of TOS and decide I want
to run it on an Amiga, Atari can do nothing about it, as long as I am not
running it on any other machines and I am not distributing any copies of
TOS to anyone else.

Of *course* Atari's position is going to be that it is illegal.  Nobody wants
their machine to be successfully emulated by a competitor.  But they can't
really do anything to people who follow the rules, their whining to the
contrary.

--
            _.
--Steve   ._||__      DISCLAIMER: All opinions are my own.

gaudreau@juggler.East.Sun.COM (Joe Gaudreau - Sun BOS Software) (10/20/90)

In article <41568@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v092mgp5@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu:
>   Regarding this entire thread of messages...Does it really matter what
>Atari's position is about the emulator?
Yes, it does.

>Whether the emulator is illegal
>or not doesn't change the fact that there are thousands of potential
Well... 1000's of potential uses is fine, but if you are breaking the law
to do it, is that right?  I can use a crowbar for many legit purposes but
one B&E is more than enough.

>users of the emulator, and since there is no DEFINITIVE proof that it is
>illegal,
Not yet anyway.  I'm sure someone will get around to 'diffing' the code
segments to see what they shall see.

> those same users will most likely feel no guilt in using the
>emulator.  As far as I am concerned, the program is a novelty, something to
>show you "ST friends" when they start bad-mouthing the Amiga.  As far as
I hope they feel guilty, I really do, even if it's a novelty.  I have
yet to bad mouth an Amiga, except their cost versus what I want a home
machine for... :-)

>usefullness: Why do Amiga users want to emulate an ST?  There is NOTHING the
>ST can do that the Amiga can't do hundreds of times better.  That's why you
>bought the Amiga, right?
Well, I can think of a few things the St does *now* that the Amiga can't
do (yet or never).  There is a gadget called R/C aerochopper that is simply
wonderful (heli *simulator*, 30 frame/sec animation, 3d, realtime).  There
*are* plans for it to be ported to Pc's and Mac's but that's it as far
as I know...  But this is silly and not at all to the point.

The point is, as the saying goes, "does the end justify the means?"  What do
you think Apple would do if someone came out with cleanroom certified
Mac ROM workalikes?  They'ed go ape****.  Believe it.

Joe
-=-

--
/Joe-Gaudreau {ps-hacker juggler nice-guy add add} bind def
Fone:  (508)671-0461

saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) (10/20/90)

I hope this isn't too hypothetical:  Atari sells TOS ROMS; what would the legal
position be if someone sold an emulator that mounted genuine ROMS and used
them to mimic an ST?  Would that be the same as Spectre?  I suspect that a
large number of TOS 1.0 ROMS could be bought from individuals if there were
a demand for them.
                                       Steve J.

v092mgp5@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Scott K Wood) (10/20/90)

In article <5799@harrier.ukc.ac.uk>, dac@ukc.ac.uk (David Clear) writes...
>Atari's position on this matter is correct. Although it may be considered
>flattering for someone to emulate an ST on an Amiga (with all the "mine
>is better than yours" type arguments around), the software copyright position
> - that software is illegal.
>Dave.

   I may have missed something in this discussion, but what is it about the
Atari1 emulator that makes it so illegal?  I honestly don't see any difference
between the Atari1 emulator's method of emulation and the method used by the
Transformer for IBM software.  If I am incorrect in this assumption, please
clarify what the difference, otherwise, I fail to see one.

                                           Scott
                                    BITNET : v092mgp5@ubvms.bitnet

In article <2991@jaytee.East.Sun.COM>, gaudreau@juggler.East.Sun.COM (Joe Gaudreau - Sun BOS Software) writes...
>In article <41568@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v092mgp5@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu:
>>   Regarding this entire thread of messages...Does it really matter what
>>Atari's position is about the emulator?
>Yes, it does.

   Why does it matter?  I honestly don't see what is going to be
gained by prolonging this thread of messages.  What will you do if it is
proven illegal?  No one but the author knows who wrote the program, so there
certainly isn't a chance for prosecution.  Beyond that, whether Atari thinks
this product is illegal or not just doesn't make a difference.  Sure we
could all go into a long discussion about copyright violations and such,
but I'm sure we are all familiar with them.  If you want to discuss "Atari's
position" post it in the Atari area, not the Amiga area.

   With nearly 300 messages a day in this area, I would rather read about
Amigas than "Atari's position" on some harmless hack that isn't going to
make a hell of a difference in the Amiga or ST world.

                                      Scott
                               BITNET : v092mgp5@ubmvs.bitnet
                             INTERNET : v092mgp5@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu

fhwri%CONNCOLL.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (10/20/90)

There is already a pirated version of AMAX with, yes, the Apple ROMs built
in; it emulates a Mac with NO hardware. And yes, Apple's going ape****...
                                                --Rick Wrigley
                                                fhwri@conncoll.bitnet

edp367s@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Rik Harris) (10/22/90)

v092mgp5@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Scott K Wood) writes:

>In article <2991@jaytee.East.Sun.COM>, gaudreau@juggler.East.Sun.COM (Joe Gaudreau - Sun BOS Software) writes...
>>In article <41568@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v092mgp5@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu:
>>>   Regarding this entire thread of messages...Does it really matter what
>>>Atari's position is about the emulator?
>>Yes, it does.
>>

>   Why does it matter?  I honestly don't see what is going to be
>gained by prolonging this thread of messages.  What will you do if it is
>proven illegal?  No one but the author knows who wrote the program, so there
>certainly isn't a chance for prosecution.  Beyond that, whether Atari thinks
>this product is illegal or not just doesn't make a difference.  Sure we
>could all go into a long discussion about copyright violations and such,
>but I'm sure we are all familiar with them.  If you want to discuss "Atari's
>position" post it in the Atari area, not the Amiga area.

I would expect that many of the people who are interested in the atari
emulator (obviously some people, or no-one would be talking about it)
would like to know whether they are going to have some lawyers
knocking on their doors, and stealing their computers :-) besides, the
atari newsgroups aren't all that much better than the amiga newsgroups.

>   With nearly 300 messages a day in this area, I would rather read about
>Amigas than "Atari's position" on some harmless hack that isn't going to
>make a hell of a difference in the Amiga or ST world.

Then read about amigas, and ignore this subject, or better still, use
the 'kill' key (apologies if you don't use a good newsreader).
This is obviously why these groups should be split up.  Stop whinging.
If you want to see fewer messages here, then lobby harder for the group
split-up.

rik
--
Rik Harris - edp367s@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au           | Build a system that
Faculty of Computing and Information Technology,      | even a fool can use,