[comp.sys.amiga] DCTV & AmiExpo...and Ham-E

In <35076@cup.portal.com>, Classic_-_Concepts@cup.portal.com writes:
>Oh, there were two other things I like about the Ham-E I tried at AmiExpo.
>It uses Fast RAM.  Chip RAM is used only to handle the displayed portion, so
>virtual screens can be large, even with all those colors/bitplanes.
>The other was that THE SOFTWARE IS AVAILABLE for the paint program.  They
>apparently make it available through their BBS.  I LIKE this; it could
>ssignificantly lean me in the direction of Ham-E, but someone made mention th
>the producers of DCTV might be a more stable organization.  Wish I could have
>tried the software for DCTV.  Anyone know if they're making source available?

Black Belt Systems is reasonably stable. They have a number of products on the
market, that have been around for quite a while now. These include (in no
particular order; BoardMaster, AVT, and SoftPanel.

-larry

--
It is not possible to both understand and appreciate Intel CPUs.
    -D.Wolfskill

a976@mindlink.UUCP (Ron Tarrant) (10/20/90)

Julie Petersen (LadyHawke),
        Since you're the first person I've heard (well, saw) say (well, type)
that you've seen the HAM-E box, I'd like to ask a question about the paint
program.
        Most, if not all of the 24-bit boards that have some sort of paint
program with them, don't let you actually paint on the 24-bit screen. Instead,
you must paint in either HAM or 16 greys and then 'dump' the image to the frame
buffer to see it in 24-bit. Is this the case with HAM-E, or is it WYSIWYG?
-Ron Tarrant
a976@Mindlink.UUCP

Classic_-_Concepts@cup.portal.com (10/20/90)

Oh, there were two other things I like about the Ham-E I tried at AmiExpo.
It uses Fast RAM.  Chip RAM is used only to handle the displayed portion, so
virtual screens can be large, even with all those colors/bitplanes.
The other was that THE SOFTWARE IS AVAILABLE for the paint program.  They
apparently make it available through their BBS.  I LIKE this; it could
ssignificantly lean me in the direction of Ham-E, but someone made mention th
the producers of DCTV might be a more stable organization.  Wish I could have
tried the software for DCTV.  Anyone know if they're making source available?

                                                  Julie Petersen (LadyHawke)

her@compel.UUCP (Helge Egelund Rasmussen) (10/22/90)

The HAM-E paint program will let you paint WYSIWYG on the screen in
REGISTER mode, ie. 256 colortable mode. It doesn't handle the 262000 color
HAM mode (not yet at least).
It is a very nice paint program with lots of features, and new features are
added all the time (you can always get the newest version + source code from
Black Belts BBS).
However "paint" is written in C, and is rather slow.

Helge E. Rasmussen  .  PHONE + 45 31 37 11 00  .  E-mail:  her@compel.dk
Compel A/S          .  FAX   + 45 31 37 06 44  .
Copenhagen, Denmark