[comp.sys.amiga] Vague OS-9 mutterings

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) (10/16/90)

In article <1990Oct15.210438.27907@cbnewse.att.com> cwpjr@cbnewse.att.com (clyde.w.jr.phillips) writes:
>In article <33336@nigel.ee.udel.edu>, S36666WB%ETSUACAD.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu (Brian Wright) writes:
>>      I have a peer that has been telling me about a new system to be coming
>> out soon that runs OS/9.  It has/or is going to have a windowing type inter-
>> face.  It will have a 256 color display at some fairly high resolution out
>> of a total palette of 16 million colors.

>There was a MM froont end for OS-9 for Industria;lProcess Control
>Initially called RAVE. I don't know if this implements RAVE in a
>box system or not but those OS-9 guys are sharp and RAVE is 2-4 years old...

An OS-9 knowledgable friend of mine recently mentioned that there was
now some sort of "standard" windowing interface for OS-9.

Also, since OS-9 has been recently ported to the Int*l chip line (why?!?),
you might start seeing a *lot* of new OS-9 stuff.

Personally, I want OS-9 for my A2000.  Any idea where I can get it?

--
J. Eric Townsend     Internet: jet@uh.edu    Bitnet: jet@UHOU
Systems Manager - University of Houston Dept. of Mathematics - (713) 749-2120

spam@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Charles E. Watson) (10/16/90)

The new OS9 box is a 68k called the MM/1. The people who are
putting it out are called Kenneth-Leigh Enterprizes. If you want
specs and other info call 1(800)866-9084

newton@ils.nwu.edu (David Newton) (10/19/90)

+ The new OS9 box is a 68k called the MM/1. The people who are
+ putting it out are called Kenneth-Leigh Enterprizes. If you want
+ specs and other info call 1(800)866-9084

   The MM/1 _I_ know about is from Interactive Media Systems...  Maybe they
changed their name.  The phone number is correct.

   I _do_ wish they'd stop answering the phone, "Interactive Media Systems,
home of the MM/1."  After about 2-3 times it gets very annoying.  Nice looking
machine though (so far).

--
David L. Newton	    |  Work: (708) 491-4791  | VR is great!!  I died in one-
ILS, Room 327       |  Home: (708) 332-2321  | (with virtual  insurance,  of

skeppeljones@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Stephen Keppel-Jones) (10/20/90)

Info about the MM/1 and the TC070...

Both are OS-9/68000 (OS-k) machines that use the same two major chips as
do the CD-I computeres.  These are the Signetics 68070cpu and 66470vsc.

The 68070 is a MC68000 compatible (though slower) cpu with build in DMA,
UART, MMU, and IIC interface.  It runs a 15MHz.

The 66470 is a Video System Controller that supports resolution of up to
720x420 with N.Americal 60Hz monitors.  (The double verticle resolution
is via interlace.  Though double scan rate is supported, I don't know
if it has been implemented.)  The colors available are 16 on resolutions
of 640/720 and are 256 on 320/360 dots per line.  The MM/1 implements
a palette controller so these 16/256 colors can be chosen out of
16 million (2**24) colors.  I don't know about the Tomcat (TC070).
The MM/1 comes with 1Meg RAM, the TC070 with 1.5Meg RAM, both with shared
access between the CPU and VSC.  The MM/1 uses a standatd XT keyboard while
the TC070 uses and AT keyboard.  Both also have DMA floppy controllers
capable of handling normal and HD (1.2/1.44 Meg) drives.  I should also
mention powered serial mice ports and a "supposed" standard of 3-button mice.

A separate board for the MM/1 includes such thigs as DMS SCSI, a couple
more serial ports (2 on main board), another parallel port (1 on main board),
and DMA stereo 8-bit sound (main board also has 1-bit PC style sound).  This
separate board also allows mem expansion of up to 9Meg more of dedicated
cpu RAM.  Once this additional 2/8Meg of RAM is added, the VSC thes uses the
other 1Meg exclusively.  This makes for about another 50% increase in speed
over the shared RAM configuration.

These two cards can be plugged directly into one another, or a 32/16 bit bus
can be purchased separately which allows for further expansion.

The IIC bus is also available for networking of up to 128 MM/1's with no
additional hardware.

The TC070 is a has mono 8-bit sound, 2 serial ports and 1 parallel port.  The
SCSI controllor is built onto this board, but mem expansion must be over
the included K-Bus.  Up to 14Meg can be added.  I have no idea how accessing
memory over the bus affects access times.

Both machines come with OS-9/68000, Basic09, and C.  The MM/1 also includes
(or so it is said) some additional software.

Kenneth-Leigh (MM/1 marketter) also announced the porting of MicroSoft Quick
Basic which will bring many PC programs to the MM/1.  Of course, Quick
Basic will also be available to us users/programmers.  They also have
an "Early Deveopers Plan" which can get 20% off a full system.

-----

Well, that is a quick info note.  Some of the numbers about io port counts
might be off by one or two, but the info here should be mostly correct.

Hope all that helps.  I'll try to answer any questions if you have them...
After midterms.

					Brian White
				(using a friends unix account)

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~T~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Steve Keppel-Jones                   | Clarke's Second Law:  The only way to

skeppeljones@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Stephen Keppel-Jones) (10/21/90)

Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga
Subject: Re: Vague OS-9 mutterings (was Re: New computer?

timha@microsoft.UUCP (Tim HARRIS) (10/22/90)

In article <1990Oct16.062145.21404@lavaca.uh.edu> jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) writes:
>In article <1990Oct15.210438.27907@cbnewse.att.com> cwpjr@cbnewse.att.com (clyde.w.jr.phillips) writes:
>>In article <33336@nigel.ee.udel.edu>, S36666WB%ETSUACAD.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu (Brian Wright) writes:
>>>      I have a peer that has been telling me about a new system to be coming
>>> out soon that runs OS/9.  It has/or is going to have a windowing type inter-
>>> face.  It will have a 256 color display at some fairly high resolution out
>>> of a total palette of 16 million colors.
>
>>There was a MM froont end for OS-9 for Industria;lProcess Control
>>Initially called RAVE. I don't know if this implements RAVE in a
>>box system or not but those OS-9 guys are sharp and RAVE is 2-4 years old...

  RAVE is a graphics user interface for OS-9 and is not really a windowing
interface in the likes of X-Windows, MS Windows, AmigaDOS or the MacOS.
RAVE gives the programmer the capability to do some overlapping windows
for dialog boxes or pop-up/pull-down menus but does not directly support
multi-tasking/overlapping windows.  You do get to do applications which
run on multiple screens and have the ability to do image based controls,
menus and indicators which is all you need for a process control interface.

Tim Harris