[comp.sys.amiga] ProTracker!!!

tommyf@ifi.uio.no (Tommy Finsen) (10/15/90)

Greetings fellow *Trackers!!!

I have nothing to contribute to the discussion about wether
sound/noise/* tracker is copyrighted or not, except that I
once (a very long time ago) had a copy of ST 1.0 by Karsten
Obarski, but i do not remember if it was copyrighted (the
program was lousy anyway ;)

And now for the GOOD NEWS!!!

A coupple of norwegian guys have put their minds together
and made a new sound/noise/* tracker mutation called

::::::::::::::::::::
:::: ProTracker ::::
::::::::::::::::::::

I had no more than a glimpse of it last night, so I'm
writing from what I can remember by that (and thats not
a much ;)

PROTRACKER contains everything (I believe) that NoiseTracker
does, multiplied by a factor of 4 (Who's checking ;).

- A new Setup menu: This menu takes up the entire upper half
  of the screen, and lets you set the screen colors, some cli
  functions, and about 30 other items. (I haven't discovered
  all their functionalities yet, but i hope you guys will
  help me with that :)

- 3 (THREE) new edit menus: You'll have to check this one for
  yourselves, but I was stunned by the possibilities.

- A (new?) midi menu: I've noticed that one of the NoiseTracker
  releases did have a midi menu, but I'm not sure it's the
  same menu.

- A revised files menu: Load/Save/Delete/RENAME/Format + more.
  You can now see the creation-date of the files as well.

- PLST editor: I'm not sure if this one has changed in any way,
  but it probaly has :).

- Some new keyboard edit commands: Another item you will have
  check for yourselves.

- A GREAT help function!!! Here you can find just about
  everything you need to know about ProTracker.

- Some new functions to enhance the varaiety of note
  manipulation. (I'm having trouble describing this :|

- A function to "fine tune" the replay frequency of the
  instruments in a song.

plus plus plus! (But I don't remember it all :(

From what I've seen so far there is no copyright notice,
but I'll have another go at checking this tonight. If there
is no copyright, I will distribute it to whoever wants it.

(FTP is closed here, so I would appreciate it if someone
could put ProTracker up for FTP after getting it from me)

NOTICE: It would be nice if someone could make a more
        complete review of this great program when (and if)
        I release it.

KEEP TRACKI'n!

- tommy

email: tommyf@ifi.uio.no                  | "Who's this God guy anyway?"     |
smail: Tommy Finsen       ,-> 0986 Oslo 9 | Donald Adams, "The Hitchhiker's  |
       Tokerudberget 39 >-'   Norway      |             Guide to the Galaxy" |

dvljhg@cs.umu.se (J|rgen Holmberg) (10/15/90)

Protracker is not copyrighted.
It is an infringement of the original soundtracker/master soundtracker/
noisetracker copyright though. ( Look-and-feel infringement )
While this may sound a bit vague it's still as legally binding as a copyright
notice and in most countries using the program will put you in danger of
losing your equipment. I just thought I would give you the facts.

Jorgen

Oh and, users in sweden and norway will probably be in no danger since the
copyright laws here doesn't support legal actions against home users.

n074ev@tamuts.tamu.edu (Christopher Walton) (10/16/90)

Pro-Tracker is quite old...  Though it is pretty good with features,
it has NO user interface what-so-ever.  It has no moving parts, so to
speak.  It doesn't let you know that what you did is what you want until
you stop, play it, and then you have to hunt for your mistake, which
is a lot harder since you can't stop the song at where you messed up,
and look at the screen to see the mistake...   It does handle synthizized
sounds pretty well though, ONE thing that the released version of
Sound tracker or Noise tracker DON't do.  Personally, I think if you
want a good music editor, for games and demos, and such, you need to
1.  Make your own  (THE BEST SOLUTION!)
2.  Have someone make one for you....   (EVEN BETTER!)
3.  Buy TFMX (Which I think is pretty good...)
4.  If you are VERY smart...  Buy Mark II sound System
         (Which gives you the best sound and the BEST interface
           for both MIDI and computer keyboard, but takes a long time
           to learn....

  Christopher Walton                  :    n07ev@tamuts.tamu.edu
    'To LIVE is to use an AMIGA!'     :    cmw1725@tamvenus.tamu.edu

S36666WB%ETSUACAD.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu (Brian Wright) (10/16/90)

On 15 Oct 90 14:30:43 GMT you said:
>Protracker is not copyrighted.
>It is an infringement of the original soundtracker/master soundtracker/
>noisetracker copyright though. ( Look-and-feel infringement )
>While this may sound a bit vague it's still as legally binding as a copyright
>notice and in most countries using the program will put you in danger of
>losing your equipment. I just thought I would give you the facts.
>
>Jorgen
>
>Oh and, users in sweden and norway will probably be in no danger since the
>copyright laws here doesn't support legal actions against home users.

So MED is also under this realm?  I guess using MED constitutes infringement
on ST/NT look-and-feel copyrights too?  Even though it is on a Fred Fish disk.

||NeXT- (nekst) N. The only PC to have sold less than 10,000 units and ||
||                 not be considered a flop.                           ||
||------------------------------------------/ /------------------------||
||---Brian Wright                    |     / /                         ||
||---s36666wb@etsuacad.etsu.edu      | \ \/ /  Only Amiga              ||
||---Commercial Artist and Amigaphile|  \/\/      Makes It Possible!!  ||

maxc0849@ucselx.sdsu.edu (InnerTangent) (10/22/90)

n074ev@tamuts.tamu.edu (Christopher Walton) writes:

>Pro-Tracker is quite old...  Though it is pretty good with features,
>it has NO user interface what-so-ever.  It has no moving parts, so to
>speak.  It doesn't let you know that what you did is what you want until
>you stop, play it, and then you have to hunt for your mistake, which
>is a lot harder since you can't stop the song at where you messed up,
>and look at the screen to see the mistake...   It does handle synthizized
>sounds pretty well though, ONE thing that the released version of
>Sound tracker or Noise tracker DON't do.  Personally, I think if you
>want a good music editor, for games and demos, and such, you need to

	Protracker is not that old.  the latest version of it is made this
year March/April.  This version has a nice NoiseTracker-like user interface,
with 6-7 different menus.  I support MIDI, track/song octive-up/down.  It
has equalizer bars like soundtracker;  from what I heard from the author,
it's the combination about soundtracker and noisetracker;  the best of the
both worlds.  And, it does handle the synthizized sound very well.
Above desc. is addessing to the newer version (V 1.2) of the Pro-Tracker.

>1.  Make your own  (THE BEST SOLUTION!)
>2.  Have someone make one for you....   (EVEN BETTER!)
>3.  Buy TFMX (Which I think is pretty good...)

	TFMX?  Please describe this product which you think is pretty good.
	(I think I saw an AD about it one time, but didn't know it was
	music related.   Please be more elaborate on this one.  Thank you)

>4.  If you are VERY smart...  Buy Mark II sound System
>         (Which gives you the best sound and the BEST interface
>           for both MIDI and computer keyboard, but takes a long time
>           to learn....

	And... the Mark II sound system.  (does it use the Amiga's internal
voices as well?)

>  Christopher Walton                  :    n07ev@tamuts.tamu.edu
>    'To LIVE is to use an AMIGA!'     :    cmw1725@tamvenus.tamu.edu

[]  Only Amiga makes it Possible..  | InnerTangent: maxc0849@ucselx.sdsu.edu  []
[]  Mind is the basis of reality.   | In Real Life: Bill Chiu                 []