[comp.sys.amiga] Question about the 68010

ernie@aquarium.buffalo.ny.us (Ernest J. Gainey III) (10/07/90)

Hello all,
 I've asked my local dealer if he had any of these in stock, and well
 he said no but would order me one.  He mentioned having the 14Mhz
 68000, but they couldn't install it. (I would have to, and I really
 dont want to have to hack up my 500 like that on my own...)

 What I would like to know is... does anyone have a "list" of programs
 that break on the 68010? Also, I remember there was a patch to prevent
 the crashing caused by "bad" programmers using the MOVE <SR> opcode.

 Thanks all... :)

--
    Ernest J. Gainey III     //\\   ernie@aquarium.buffalo.ny.us
    The Amiga Aquarium	 \\ //==\\    Gainey03@Snybufva.Bitnet

jeremym@brahms.udel.edu (Jeremy A Moskowitz) (10/07/90)

In article <ernie.5192@aquarium.buffalo.ny.us> ernie@aquarium.buffalo.ny.us (Ernest J. Gainey III) writes:
> What I would like to know is... does anyone have a "list" of programs
> that break on the 68010? Also, I remember there was a patch to prevent
> the crashing caused by "bad" programmers using the MOVE <SR> opcode.

Well... dont try anything like Fa-18 ...
But, the good news it... dump the 68010! It's worthless
compared to the 14mHz hack. Sure... if you cant
install it yourself... get someone who can! Pay them 50$
for the hack job. Save about 300$ and pleanty of 60810 blues.

But... if you *DO* decide to 68010 it... there are currently
three (almost identical) programs that hack into the 680x0
opcodes and fix the div by 0 error or whatever that code is.

Just chuck it in your startup-sequence under the setpatch
and whamo! no problemo... but... what if you're playing
a non-wb thing. Your stuck. But, if you do the 14mzh hack,
you've got the best of THREE worlds.

1_ 14 mzh if ya want it for almost anything
2_ no crash like 68010
3_ with the flick of a switch you're back to being a stock 500!

So - do the right thing... DO THE HACK!

contact?: jeremym@brahms.udel.edu <-me

my opinions are not necessarily my opinions - jeremym

ernie@aquarium.buffalo.ny.us (Ernest J. Gainey III) (10/07/90)

>In article <14382@brahms.udel.edu> jeremym@brahms.udel.edu (Jeremy A Moskowitz) writes:
>In article <ernie.5192@aquarium.buffalo.ny.us> ernie@aquarium.buffalo.ny.us (Ernest J. Gainey III) writes:

>Well... dont try anything like Fa-18 ...
>But, the good news it... dump the 68010! It's worthless
>compared to the 14mHz hack. Sure... if you cant
>install it yourself... get someone who can! Pay them 50$
>for the hack job. Save about 300$ and pleanty of 60810 blues.
>
>But... if you *DO* decide to 68010 it... there are currently
>three (almost identical) programs that hack into the 680x0
>opcodes and fix the div by 0 error or whatever that code is.
>
>Just chuck it in your startup-sequence under the setpatch
>and whamo! no problemo... but... what if you're playing
>a non-wb thing. Your stuck. But, if you do the 14mzh hack,
>you've got the best of THREE worlds.
>
>1_ 14 mzh if ya want it for almost anything
>2_ no crash like 68010
>3_ with the flick of a switch you're back to being a stock 500!
>
>So - do the right thing... DO THE HACK!
>
>contact?: jeremym@brahms.udel.edu <-me

>my opinions are not necessarily my opinions - jeremym

 Hmm... But I've heard so many horror stories about DF0: not working...
 after installing the hack... Maybe I'll go back to my dealer and talk to
 him a bit more... and maybe get the 14Mhz 68000...

 Its just he scares me sometimes with this little line he gives me
 from some instructions one company gave on installing their chips:

  Be careful to install the chip correctly, dont break the glass, or put
  it in backwards, cause you will let the "blue smoke" out, and it wont
  work anymore...

--
    Ernest J. Gainey III     //\\   ernie@aquarium.buffalo.ny.us
    The Amiga Aquarium	 \\ //==\\    Gainey03@Snybufva.Bitnet
      (716)/837-1699      \\/    \\MIGA!

ernie@aquarium.buffalo.ny.us (Ernest J. Gainey III) writes:

| Its just he scares me sometimes with this little line he gives me
| from some instructions one company gave on installing their chips:

|  Be careful to install the chip correctly, dont break the glass, or put
|  it in backwards, cause you will let the "blue smoke" out, and it wont
|  work anymore...

Sheesh, it's just a little electronics humor. It comes from the fact that
when you burn up an item, it smokes, so it must be letting the smoke out that
breaks it, right? :-)

--
John Sparks         |D.I.S.K. Public Access Unix System| Multi-User Games, Email
sparks@corpane.UUCP |PH: (502) 968-DISK 24Hrs/2400BPS  | Usenet, Chatting,

phil@adam.adelaide.edu.au (Phil Kernick) (10/12/90)

jeremym@brahms.udel.edu (Jeremy A Moskowitz) writes:

>In article <ernie.5192@aquarium.buffalo.ny.us> ernie@aquarium.buffalo.ny.us (Ernest J. Gainey III) writes:
>> What I would like to know is... does anyone have a "list" of programs
>> that break on the 68010? Also, I remember there was a patch to prevent
>> the crashing caused by "bad" programmers using the MOVE <SR> opcode.

>Well... dont try anything like Fa-18 ...

Why?  I have an A1000 2MB RAM 68010, and I have found almost nothing
that breaks with the 010, and I have been using it for 18 months!!

I also don't have anything in the startup-sequence to patch the
MOVE SR,<ea> to MOVE CCR,<ea>!

A few games don't work at all, notibly F29 Retaliator, but almost
everything else does - including heavily copy protected games like
Hard Drivin' !!

Phil.
--
Phil Kernick                            EMail:  phil@adam.adelaide.edu.au
Departmental Engineer                   Phone:  +618 228 5914

ernie@aquarium.buffalo.ny.us (Ernest J. Gainey III) (10/14/90)

>In article <3379@corpane.UUCP> sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:
>ernie@aquarium.buffalo.ny.us (Ernest J. Gainey III) writes:
>|  Be careful to install the chip correctly, dont break the glass, or put
>|  it in backwards, cause you will let the "blue smoke" out, and it wont
>|  work anymore...
>
>Sheesh, it's just a little electronics humor. It comes from the fact that
>when you burn up an item, it smokes, so it must be letting the smoke out that
>breaks it, right? :-)

 John, I know.. :-)  Though he did show me an instruction manual... that
 he got that line from, i think it was a plug in board for a 500, that
 gave the user 2 parallel ports... at the dealership, they run DNet
 (or was it parnet?) ... they have a 2000 running a bbs (Cnet YECK)
 and a 500 at the desk to handle orders, with some database program
 (forget which one...)... its an interesting set up... etc...

 I think I had asked him if there were any multi-serial boards yet for
 the 500... multi-parallel was best he could show me.. :(

--

hclausen@adspdk.UUCP (Henrik Clausen) (10/16/90)

In article <3379@corpane.UUCP>, John Sparks writes:

> ernie@aquarium.buffalo.ny.us (Ernest J. Gainey III) writes:
> |  Be careful to install the chip correctly, dont break the glass, or put
> |  it in backwards, cause you will let the "blue smoke" out, and it wont
> |  work anymore...
>
> Sheesh, it's just a little electronics humor. It comes from the fact that
> when you burn up an item, it smokes, so it must be letting the smoke out that
> breaks it, right? :-)

   Wrong :-)

   It's the smoke that makes chips work in the first place. When you let it
out, it stops working...

                               -Henrik

|            Henrik Clausen, Graffiti Data (Fido: 2:230/22.33)           |
|           ...{pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!cbmehq!adspdk!hclausen           |
\__"Do not accept the heart that is the slave to reason" - Qawwali trad__/

hclausen@adspdk.UUCP (Henrik Clausen) writes:
|   Wrong :-) It's the smoke that makes chips work in the first place.
|   When you let it out, it stops working...

Er, Isn't that what I just said?