[comp.sys.amiga] A3000UX at University of Illinois

sinistar@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu (Jeff O'Hare) (10/19/90)

U of I just got an A3000UX for public use at their Micro Resource Center.
Apparently, it didn't work out of the box, and it is being fixed.  It should
be back and up on internet soon.  Try mrcamiga.cso.uiuc.edu or amigamrc...
	Jeff

brownfld@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (10/20/90)

     This machine is up.  It will not be available to the public via remote
access.  This includes anon FTP or remote logins (no signons will be offered.)
It is for use in the MRC as a demonstration machine.
							Ken.
Kenneth R. Brownfield			      brownfld@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign	   ken-b@uiuc.edu
Junior, Computer Science/Engineering.

lrg7030@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Loren Rittle) (10/23/90)

Kenneth R. Brownfield writes on Friday:

>     This machine is up.  It will not be available to the public via remote
>access.  This includes anon FTP or remote logins (no signons will be offered.)
>It is for use in the MRC as a demonstration machine.

Well, I went into the wonderful MRC (Mirco Resource Center) today and it
only confirmed my fear, Commodore has wasted it's time giving a 3000UX,
to the University of Illinois!  The people in the place would not even let
me log into the machine in order to check out the implementation of UNIX
or OpenLook.  Nor would they demo it in any way!  As a matter of fact,
the people in the place seemed to care less that they have
a NEW version of UNIX that they could be playing with!

Of course, I am writing this on the NeXT sitting next to the Amiga 3000UX,
so we at least know that they are willing to look at new technology when
poked enough...

Also, this is the place that told an Amiga 1000 owner that he should buy
an MRC supported computer when he wanted to print something out from the
Amiga 500 they have in the place. And, when a lady came in today asking
about which Mac to buy to do video work, I almost died (Laughing that is!)
at the answers they gave.

Loren J. Rittle
lrg7030@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu