[comp.sys.amiga] The new A500/030

elec135@canterbury.ac.nz (10/11/90)

Anyone got an A500 which is dragging? Just need that extra bit of speed?

I did.  There wasn't anything like LUCAS for the A500 and speedup cards were
nearly non-existant for anything but Amiga 2000's out here in NZ. SO...

I bought myself a 2630 card and installed it on my A500.  It only requires one
hardware modification on the main board - the 7Meg signal has to come out to
the expansion socket.  By making a small board which contains two 86 pin
sockets I could plug the 2630 board in.

Heaps faster!! More memory!! Only problem is it sits out in the open ..
but I'm working on that.

Aren't Amiga's Great
- Mark  (tomlinson@elec.canterbury.ac.nz)
or try 64 3 3371531 and mail to MARK TOMLINSON

What's a disclaimer anyway?

lkoop@pnet01.cts.com (Lamonte Koop) (10/11/90)

elec135@canterbury.ac.nz writes:
>Anyone got an A500 which is dragging? Just need that extra bit of speed?
>
>I did.  There wasn't anything like LUCAS for the A500 and speedup cards were
>nearly non-existant for anything but Amiga 2000's out here in NZ. SO...
>

>I bought myself a 2630 card and installed it on my A500.  It only requires one
>hardware modification on the main board - the 7Meg signal has to come out to
>the expansion socket.  By making a small board which contains two 86 pin
>sockets I could plug the 2630 board in.
>
>Heaps faster!! More memory!! Only problem is it sits out in the open ..
>but I'm working on that.

Ahh....one little question: WHY?  Besides the fun of the experiment, that is.
There are 030 boards for the 500 now out. (and yes, they can use 32-bit
memory).  CSA makes one, and Imtronics is about to come out with one.

>Aren't Amiga's Great

Total Agreement here.

>- Mark  (tomlinson@elec.canterbury.ac.nz)
>or try 64 3 3371531 and mail to MARK TOMLINSON
>
>What's a disclaimer anyway?

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!lkoop
ARPA: crash!pnet01!lkoop@nosc.mil
INET: lkoop@pnet01.cts.com

In article <1990Oct11.140806.9376@canterbury.ac.nz> elec135@canterbury.ac.nz writes:

>I bought myself a 2630 card and installed it on my A500.  It only requires one
>hardware modification on the main board - the 7Meg signal has to come out to
>the expansion socket.  By making a small board which contains two 86 pin
>sockets I could plug the 2630 board in.

Hey, great.  George Robbins wanted me to try that out years ago, but I never
got to it.  Glad to hear it works (it really should, the A500 edge connector
is very much like the A2000 CPU slot).  The only other big difference is that
the A2630 takes over from the on-board CPU via the BOSS* signal, rather than
BGACK*.  For the purposes of an A500, BOSS* could be tied to BGACK* at the A500
edge connector.

>- Mark  (tomlinson@elec.canterbury.ac.nz)

	Standing on the shoulders of giants leaves me cold	-REM

leecemb@EA.USL.EDU (10/17/90)

I have a great Idea for an A500/30 or for that matter a new A500.

Take the mother board of the A3000/16.

Remove the expansion slots (to save space and money),
       the hard drive      ('                     '),

Keep the keyboard, mouse, one drive (preferably 1.44 meg)
     SCSI port, paralell and serial ports.

Rework it so you still have the CPU expasion port
   and put one Zorro III slot where the hard drive slot is.

And sell it with the 1950 monitor for about $1200.

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (10/18/90)

How about someone make something like this for the A500? Put the A2630 in
a case and sell it to A500 owners as the A530, or better yet, stick an
030 on the motherboard at 33 mhz and have a PS/1 killer. (Might also want
to stick a hard drive on the case of the card)

-Joseph Hillenburg

UUCP: ...iuvax!valnet!joseph
ARPA: valnet!joseph@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
INET: joseph@valnet.UUCP

lron@easy.UUCP (Dwight Hubbard) (10/18/90)

>In article <0093E526.8ACBDAC0@EA.USL.EDU> leecemb@EA.USL.EDU writes:
>
>I have a great Idea for an A500/30 or for that matter a new A500.
>
>Take the mother board of the A3000/16.
>
>Remove the expansion slots (to save space and money),
>       the hard drive      ('                     '),
>
>Keep the keyboard, mouse, one drive (preferably 1.44 meg)
>     SCSI port, paralell and serial ports.
>
>Rework it so you still have the CPU expasion port
>   and put one Zorro III slot where the hard drive slot is.
>

>And sell it with the 1950 monitor for about $1200.

I like the Idea, except the part about changing the location of the slots.
If you move the slots you are no longer using a 3000 motherboard which is
a big problem because it would require a different production line to produce
the board.  The R&D cost would be very little but the cost of tooling up a
new production line would not be.  However I could see the posibility of
producing a 3000/16 without the 68881, keep the slots (the board can't be
that expensive), take out the hard drive and only keep 1 Meg of chip ram.
and sell it for around 1500 (without the monitor) it would make a good
replacement for the current 2000.  Drop the price of the 2000 to the $800-$900
price range and we could all smile as all the talk about cheap Macs disappears
from this newsgroup.

--
-Dwight Hubbard,                      |-Kaneohe, HI
-USENET:   uunet.uu.net!easy!lron     |-Genie:    D.Hubbard1

monty@sagpd1.UUCP (Monty Saine) (10/20/90)

In article <lron.10469054@easy.UUCP> lron@easy.UUCP (Dwight Hubbard) writes:
>>In article <0093E526.8ACBDAC0@EA.USL.EDU> leecemb@EA.USL.EDU writes:
>>Take the mother board of the A3000/16.
>>
>>Remove the expansion slots (to save space and money),
>>       the hard drive      ('                     '),
>>
>>Keep the keyboard, mouse, one drive (preferably 1.44 meg)
>>     SCSI port, paralell and serial ports.
>>
>>Rework it so you still have the CPU expasion port
>>   and put one Zorro III slot where the hard drive slot is.

	Put it in a case just high enough for  2 - 3 1/2 " drives  side
	by side. add as much memory as can be profitable (ie 2meg chip and 8 meg
	fast) and sell it to the workstation crowd. Oh yea put an ethernet
	card in the one zorro slot.

	Monty Saine

allen@ns.network.com (Allen Middleton) (10/23/90)

In article <947@sagpd1.UUCP> monty@sagpd1.UUCP (Monty Saine) writes:
>In article <lron.10469054@easy.UUCP> lron@easy.UUCP (Dwight Hubbard) writes:
>>>In article <0093E526.8ACBDAC0@EA.USL.EDU> leecemb@EA.USL.EDU writes:
>>>Take the mother board of the A3000/16.
>>>
>>>Remove the expansion slots (to save space and money),
>>>       the hard drive      ('                     '),
>>>
>>>Keep the keyboard, mouse, one drive (preferably 1.44 meg)
>>>     SCSI port, paralell and serial ports.
>>>
>>>Rework it so you still have the CPU expasion port
>>>   and put one Zorro III slot where the hard drive slot is.
>

>	Put it in a case just high enough for  2 - 3 1/2 " drives  side
>	by side. add as much memory as can be profitable (ie 2meg chip and 8 meg
>	fast) and sell it to the workstation crowd. Oh yea put an ethernet
>	card in the one zorro slot.
>

>	Monty Saine

-use the 68EC030 recently introduced, won't run UNIX (no MMU), but the chip
is real cheap ($50/1000).