[comp.sys.amiga] Some responses to Amiga MIDI/music questions

barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) (10/23/90)

	Since three people asked about MIDI/music programs in the
same day, I'm posting a responses to them all.

>From: will@waf2000.UUCP (Will Fiveash)
>I am considering getting some MIDI sequencing software for my Amiga 2500
>and I need some advice on the available packages.  I would like the package
>to be easy to use, reliable, and reasonably priced.  Someone touted the
>MusicX sequencer but at $250 it was too expensive for me, being a
>non-professional.

	Will, you can get MusicX for about $150 by mail-order.  I got
mine from Abel Supply (615) 428-5100.  Abel is reliable as long as they
have the software in stock.  If it's NOT in stock, order it from somewhere
else.  (Don't let them "backorder" it.  You'll wait a long time.)  I
mention Abel just because they are the cheapest place.

	I use MusicX, and I think it's great.  Feel free to mail me your
specific questions.  It is a fine sequencer with powerful editing, and you
get a patch librarian for free!

From: clagett@ms.uky.edu (Bill Clagett)
>could anyone point me toward a program allowing me to write/sequence/program
>music?  PD would be incredibly groovy.  complexity or lack thereof is not an
>issue.

	I don't know of any excellent PD stuff, but MusicX is just grand.
However, it will not print scores in standard notation (if you need that).
It is purely a sequencer and universal patch librarian.  You can use MIDI
instruments or the Amiga's internal voices.

From: bruss@odin.ucsd.edu (Brian Russ)
>MIDI interfacing (for example) just isn't relevant to me (unless I
>misunderstand what MIDI is (likely)).

	MIDI is for communicating between several computer musical devices:
computers (such as your Amiga), synthesizers, effects boxes, etc.  If you
have only 1 device, MIDI won't do anything for you.  However, if you have 2
or more (such as an Amiga and a synthesizer), you can control one from the
other.  This control is the basis for sequencer programs.

	For your music (metal), you probably don't need a huge number of
instruments playing simultaneously -- just a few guitars, bass, drums,
and maybe keyboards.  If you use only the Amiga's internal sounds, you can
play 4 sounds at once.  This might not be enough to simulate all of the
above instruments' playing at once.  So, you might need an external
synthesizer + MIDI to do your work.

	You (and anybody else) is welcome to send me e-mail and ask
me more questions.  Even better, read the newsgroup rec.music.synth.
I've kept my explanations pretty basic in this response, but I've
been doing this stuff for almost 12 years and have lots of info to share.

                                                        Dan

| Dan Barrett, Department of Computer Science      Johns Hopkins University |
| INTERNET:   barrett@cs.jhu.edu           |                                |
| COMPUSERVE: >internet:barrett@cs.jhu.edu | UUCP:   barrett@jhunix.UUCP    |