[comp.sys.amiga] Weird Workbench

la@doc.ic.ac.uk (Liaket Ali) (10/22/90)

Hi netters!

I've come across two strange problems with my Amiga.

1) Sometimes when I soft-reboot, my amiga comes up in a 200 line Workbench
   screen. I have a PAL amiga and therefore I should expect it to display
   a 256 line screen EVERY time!

2) When manipulating windows on workbench, it is possible to crash the system.
   How? Well....

   Click on the menu bar of an open window (be sure that the window is NOT
   full-screen size). Move the window outline box around the screen.
   Press either of the two keys used by intuition to move screen back & forth
   i.e. AMIGA-M or AMIGA-N. Do not release the keys but continue to move the
   window around. Very soon the system should crash!

Why do the above 2 things occur? I have a UK PAL A500 with 1.3 ROM. + 1Mb +
external drive.

The problems occur with any combination of peripherals. I have found that (2)
also occurs on my friend's 1.2 ROM A500.

Could anyone tell me if there is something wrong with my machine.
Problem (2) I can just about live with since it is has to be self-inflicted!
But problem (1) is a real pain!!!
(I really do need a large screen to do program editing on)

Thanks in advance for any help/info.

P.S. Could someone send me details on how to post a program to c.s.a. sources/
binaries. A friend of mine has written a program which he wishes to put in the
public domain.

LIAKET ALI

e-mail: la@doc.ic.ac.uk

ins778u@vax4.cc.monash.edu.au (mr c.r. hames) (10/23/90)

In article <2386@gould.doc.ic.ac.uk> la@doc.ic.ac.uk (Liaket Ali) writes:
>1) Sometimes when I soft-reboot, my amiga comes up in a 200 line Workbench
>   screen. I have a PAL amiga and therefore I should expect it to display
>   a 256 line screen EVERY time!

     There is a bug in the 1.2/1.3 ROM (timer.device I beleive) that when it
decides whether the machine is PAL or NTSC it sometimes thinks a PAL machine
is NTSC hence only the 200 lines down.  There are programs and bootblocks
that force your machine one way or the other. eg SetPALorNTSC on fish.

>2) When manipulating windows on workbench, it is possible to crash the system.
>   How? Well....

    1.2/1.3 workbench does have some bugs.

>P.S. Could someone send me details on how to post a program to c.s.a. sources/
>binaries. A friend of mine has written a program which he wishes to put in the
>public domain.

    Just uuencode the program and put a short description on the top then mail
it to the address given on all postings for submissions.

--
Chris Hames - C/Assembler programmer | Fish: DirWork,FSDirs,VMK..|  /~\/ \
              3:633/301.0 (Fido)     | Commercial:  Classified.  | (  OZ  )

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (10/23/90)

Theres a bug in the PAL Amigas (not sure which part) which causes them to
ocasionally boot in NTSC mode.

-Joseph Hillenburg

UUCP: ...iuvax!valnet!joseph
ARPA: valnet!joseph@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu