[comp.sys.amiga] Latest version of QRT..?

niobium@arrakis.nevada.edu (Christopher W. Carlson) (10/18/90)

Quick request...

If anybody has got exectuables for the latest version of the QRT raytracer
(QRT itself, and QRTpost or RAY2 if they've changed lately) or knows where
I might pick them up, PLEASE contact me, as I'm in dire need.

Thanks...

--
 __   _          _  _____  _    ___       __  |  Christopher W. Carlson |   //
/ __ / \  |     / \   |   / \  |__  /  \ (__  |    niobium@nevada.edu   | \X/

skank@iastate.edu (Skank George L) (10/20/90)

In article <2171@unsvax.NEVADA.EDU> niobium@arrakis.nevada.edu (Christopher W. Carlson) writes:

>Quick request...
>
>If anybody has got exectuables for the latest version of the QRT raytracer
>(QRT itself, and QRTpost or RAY2 if they've changed lately) or knows where
>I might pick them up, PLEASE contact me, as I'm in dire need.

     This summer I ported the QRT raytracer to VAX/VMS systems.  It would
not initially run under VAXC because of a couple of differences in the VAXC
language commands.  It works now however (the redoubtable Marc Barrett tested
it for me).  I also added an include file which allows it to do UNIX style
I/O redirection under VAX/VMS, it's really slick, I wish I could say that
I'd written it.  I sent some mail to Steve Koren about it, he said he hadn't
done any work on it in over a year but that he might pick it up again some
day.  I even uploaded a copy of it to one of the ftp sights, though I don't
remember where right now.
     Marc said that a single frame usually took about three days on his A500
but the same frame only took about twenty to twenty five minutes on a VAX 6620
(depending on the loading), I can vouch for the last benchamrk.  I havn't tried
running it on my A3000 yet.  Mark even produced a little movie with it I think.
The primary reason for the port was just to get the execution speed up.
     I'll go ahead and post it to a bunch of ftp sights and then leave mail
about it when I finish.

                                   --George

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (10/21/90)

skank@iastate.edu (Skank George L) writes:

> In article <2171@unsvax.NEVADA.EDU> niobium@arrakis.nevada.edu (Christopher W
> >
> >Quick request...
> >
> >If anybody has got exectuables for the latest version of the QRT raytracer
> >(QRT itself, and QRTpost or RAY2 if they've changed lately) or knows where
> >I might pick them up, PLEASE contact me, as I'm in dire need.
>
>      This summer I ported the QRT raytracer to VAX/VMS systems.  It would
> not initially run under VAXC because of a couple of differences in the VAXC
> language commands.  It works now however (the redoubtable Marc Barrett tested
> it for me).  I also added an include file which allows it to do UNIX style
> I/O redirection under VAX/VMS, it's really slick, I wish I could say that
> I'd written it.  I sent some mail to Steve Koren about it, he said he hadn't
> done any work on it in over a year but that he might pick it up again some
> day.  I even uploaded a copy of it to one of the ftp sights, though I don't
> remember where right now.
>      Marc said that a single frame usually took about three days on his A500
> but the same frame only took about twenty to twenty five minutes on a VAX 662
> (depending on the loading), I can vouch for the last benchamrk.  I havn't tri
> running it on my A3000 yet.  Mark even produced a little movie with it I thin
> The primary reason for the port was just to get the execution speed up.
>      I'll go ahead and post it to a bunch of ftp sights and then leave mail
> about it when I finish.
>
>                                    --George

Could I have this? Could you put it on abcfd20 in the /incoming/vms dir?
I'd like to run it on a VAX 8820 and 6840. I don't know if it'll fair muh
better than my 68030 though. (You got -MB- to test it for you?!

-Joseph Hillenburg

UUCP: ...iuvax!valnet!joseph
ARPA: valnet!joseph@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
INET: joseph@valnet.UUCP

koren@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Steve Koren) (10/23/90)

> >If anybody has got exectuables for the latest version of the QRT raytracer
> >(QRT itself, and QRTpost or RAY2 if they've changed lately) or knows where
> >I might pick them up, PLEASE contact me, as I'm in dire need.

> I'd written it.  I sent some mail to Steve Koren about it, he said he hadn't
> done any work on it in over a year but that he might pick it up again some
> day.  I even uploaded a copy of it to one of the ftp sights, though I don't

This is correct; I haven't released a new version for some time, being busy
with other things.  However, a quick tip: the source code (such that it
is :-) ) should be provided with it, and if you re-compile it using inline
'881 code with Lattice (I think this is possible to Manx as well), it will
run considerably faster, as you might expect.

  - steve "wishes he had the time to mess with it more..." koren